Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

negative remarks

negative remarks

Old Mar 27th 2011, 6:34 pm
  #16  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: inaskip
Posts: 1,380
betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: negative remarks

Originally Posted by bil View Post
You'll get for and against. That's life. As the last poster said, it also depends on whether you are retired, looking for work etc. We are retired, and love it here.

As to the Poles taking over. Did you see the programme about it where they offered some of the unemployed (who were whining about the Poles etc taking their jobs) jobs that the Poles were doing?

Of the whole lot there was one who had got qualifications in his line of work, got down to it and was offered a full time job.

The rest were without exception lazy, idle, shiftless and mostly useless. Half of them couldn't be arsed to turn up.

That is why the Poles are 'taking over'.
bill it annoyes me when they say the poles are taking over.they dont know history.the poles saved the day in the battle of britain.if it wasnt for the poles we would be all speakng german.then they were stabed in the back by the british and slaughted in there thousands by starln
betris is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 6:45 pm
  #17  
Not Banned (yet)
 
steviedeluxe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Madrid
Posts: 6,397
steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: negative remarks

If you're young enough to learn the language, it may be worth a go. For once I agree with WhiteLinen. It seems that native Brits are written off as lazy and feckless by their own people. Very sad.
steviedeluxe is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 6:51 pm
  #18  
BE Forum Addict
 
The Capitans Wench's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1,878
The Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: negative remarks

Originally Posted by maggie54 View Post
Hi! just joined, and I've already had very negative remarks about moving to spain! I regret joining now! It can't be that bad waking up to sunshine 8 months of the year?! What's so good about the UK anyway? maybe all the benefits everybody seems to abuse here. I have worked all my life, never afraid to 'get my hands dirty', but here as I watch all single girls with 3-4 babies with different fathers, people claiming benefits one day, and the next playing golf!! Spain is looking after itself by apploying spanish people first, nothing wrong with that! I work in a hotel at present, where polish and people
from other east european countries have or had more or less ' taken over'.
4 employees has been redundant or have had to cut their hours down because of the influx of east european workforce! No wonder Britain is in trouble- I could see this happening 10 years ago, and I was not wrong.
Anyway, if anybody has got something positive to say about moving to Spain, please replay to this message, so I can feel a bit happier in my decision to move. BE HAPPY
If you only want the rosy version you won't get it, people normally tell how it is for them and it ain't all good. Just the same as everywhere else. Single mothers hahaha yeah takes two... about the fathers ???
I was an employer and found most native candidates that bothered to turn up did so or they would not get their dole money. Work NOOOO they did not want it. Any Polish I know are damned hard working and reliable.

Brits and others have taken over areas here and don't think that all the spanish are happy about that either. Yes it sad that many ex pats here are no credit to anyone and not even trusted by their own. It is true many are.

I came here for different reason to most, I was lucky and still am, not to work nor claim from any country either.

If you have a good command of the language, have a tidy sum you can lose or have work already lined up it may well work for you. If you are committed to the move good luck. Life is what you make it no matter where you are. In my changed circumstances I am going to male the best of life here that I can.
The Capitans Wench is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 6:53 pm
  #19  
Forum Regular
 
celestine's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Marinaleda, Sevilla
Posts: 223
celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice
Default Re: negative remarks

Originally Posted by maggie54 View Post
Hi! thanks for your replay, yes, maybe I have'grass is greener' syndrome, but if I don't try, I will never know. Life is short, and it's a lot nicer to wake up hungry to sunshine than to wind and rain. Most of the money Iam earning over the wintermonths (or nearly all year), seems to go to paying gas& el. bills. And what about waterrates!! I pay 46 pounds /month, and if I could use less than I do, I would have to stop washing myself and my clothes. I would not mind so much about the water, BUT IT IS RAINING 8 days out of ten here!! If the waterrates are higher in Spain I can understand that. At least I don't have to pay for single mothers there(I hope). I am sorry that you are so negative, but I am still trying to look positive to the future.
kind regards, Maggie54
I would agree that life is short and often to not take risks in life leads to regret, however to approach a new life with 'rose tinted specs' will only lead to heartache and disappointment. As people have previously posted the quality of life here will depend on many factors as will the cost of living and your lifestyle. The sun can be a wonderful thing to wake up to but the weather is not always favourable or pleasant and in the summer months you will spend most of your money trying to keep cool, whilst in the winter months attempting to keep warm. The cost of maintaining your home here is much higher as house maintenance is an annual event and much more time consuming due to the building materials used to construct the houses and the extremes in temperature. Living here is very different to venturing on to a plane to experience a relaxing holiday and the isolation can often be overpowering.

Your attitude to immigrants is stunning and as previous posts state you will become an immigrant once you leave the UK, not everyone here welcomes 'immigrants' here either!

Driving without due care and attention, speeding, drink driving, driving whilst disqualified or uninsured, using mobiles whilst in charge of a vehicle, drinking on the streets, drug use etc exist here too, they do not go away when the sun shines.

I hope that whatever choices you make turn out well for you and that life in the sun is all you expect, I think people who have attempted to live the dream are just trying to say that maybe a more realistic approach to your move is more advisable.

My final point refers to 'single mothers'. May I point out single mothers are not always single through choice and do not always exist on benefits, neither do they exist only in the UK. There are plenty of women raising children alone in Spain too!
celestine is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 7:01 pm
  #20  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Living in a good place
Posts: 8,824
jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: negative remarks

What a good post, karma for you
jackytoo is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 7:29 pm
  #21  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: negative remarks

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe View Post
If you're young enough to learn the language, it may be worth a go. For once I agree with WhiteLinen. It seems that native Brits are written off as lazy and feckless by their own people. Very sad.
Really? Ever had any experience in employing Brits like I have?

I repeat, if the brits are so good and so willing to work, they how come there are jobs left for immigrants?
bil is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 7:31 pm
  #22  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: inaskip
Posts: 1,380
betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: negative remarks

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench View Post
If you only want the rosy version you won't get it, people normally tell how it is for them and it ain't all good. Just the same as everywhere else. Single mothers hahaha yeah takes two... about the fathers ???
I was an employer and found most native candidates that bothered to turn up did so or they would not get their dole money. Work NOOOO they did not want it. Any Polish I know are damned hard working and reliable.

Brits and others have taken over areas here and don't think that all the spanish are happy about that either. Yes it sad that many ex pats here are no credit to anyone and not even trusted by their own. It is true many are.

I came here for different reason to most, I was lucky and still am, not to work nor claim from any country either.

If you have a good command of the language, have a tidy sum you can lose or have work already lined up it may well work for you. If you are committed to the move good luck. Life is what you make it no matter where you are. In my changed circumstances I am going to male the best of life here that I can.
CW i was winding you up the other day by way.
betris is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 7:45 pm
  #23  
Started off with nothing
 
missile's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,844
missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: negative remarks

Originally Posted by maggie54 View Post
I work in a hotel at present, where polish and people from other east european countries have or had more or less ' taken over'.
4 employees has been redundant or have had to cut their hours down because of the influx of east european workforce! ... BE HAPPY
It is not easy to earn a living in the hospitality trade here in spain. With your possitive out look on life, I hope you find the happiness you seek.
missile is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 8:25 pm
  #24  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,368
agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: negative remarks

Originally Posted by bil View Post
Really? Ever had any experience in employing Brits like I have?
Nope, but I've had experience of working alongside hundreds of excellent and dedicated workers. It's absolute nonsense (although not unexpected from you) to write off the whole of the UK workforce as absolute lazy tossers, how does the country ever function with such a workforce. Unfortunately, there will always be some reluctant to work, and whilst not excusing it, I can understand why they don't want the low paid jobs the Poles are taking when they get paid far more by staying on the dole, or whatever they call it. I know such a character and it's unbelievable the benefits he gets for his family, he'd need to be a brain surgeon to bring home that amount of money! It makes no sense to work in some freezing field picking veg to earn less than you can by staying at home in the warm. Perhaps the reason you ended up with deadbeats says something about your selection procedure, or the type of candidates you were attracting.
agoreira is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 8:44 pm
  #25  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: negative remarks

Originally Posted by agoreira View Post
Nope, but I've had experience of working alongside hundreds of excellent and dedicated workers. It's absolute nonsense (although not unexpected from you) to write off the whole of the UK workforce as absolute lazy tossers, how does the country ever function with such a workforce. Unfortunately, there will always be some reluctant to work, and whilst not excusing it, I can understand why they don't want the low paid jobs the Poles are taking when they get paid far more by staying on the dole, or whatever they call it. I know such a character and it's unbelievable the benefits he gets for his family, he'd need to be a brain surgeon to bring home that amount of money! It makes no sense to work in some freezing field picking veg to earn less than you can by staying at home in the warm. Perhaps the reason you ended up with deadbeats says something about your selection procedure, or the type of candidates you were attracting.
Absolutely. It had to be our fault, eh?

I'm not saying there's no good workers in the UK.

It's just that when someone says 'the Poles are taking over,' I say, the only reason that they can 'take over' is if the incumbent workers won't touch the work.

Say what you will, there is a big slice of the workforce that is only fit for pet food.
bil is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:11 pm
  #26  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Catalunya, By the sea
Posts: 24
Mataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really nice
Default Re: negative remarks

I've lived in Spain for 11 years and see that things are very different here. If you don't work you're not entitled to any unempolyment benefits should you lose your job. Great because you don't end up paying to support lazy lay-abouts!

I love it here, but you've got to be prepared to integrate and learn the language. I did both Spanish and Catalan classes.

I see that a lot of people on here live in Andalucia, which is a very nice region, but depending on where you live is like 'Britain in the sun'. Which is all very well, if that's what you like.
Mataroni is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:21 pm
  #27  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: negative remarks

Originally Posted by Mataroni View Post
I've lived in Spain for 11 years and see that things are very different here. If you don't work you're not entitled to any unempolyment benefits should you lose your job. Great because you don't end up paying to support lazy lay-abouts!

I love it here, but you've got to be prepared to integrate and learn the language. I did both Spanish and Catalan classes.

I see that a lot of people on here live in Andalucia, which is a very nice region, but depending on where you live is like 'Britain in the sun'. Which is all very well, if that's what you like.

You do actually get dole when you lose your job, but only according to what you have paid into the SS.

Although I agree that there is a lot of scroungers and lay abouts in the UK, and quite honestly I did begrudge paying my taxes to help support the "professional" bums, I still find that I am still shocked when I hear some of the hard luck stories about people losing jobs in Spain.

I would have thought that you would have the same feelings as me, as you live in a mainly Spanish community, and would see lots of genuine cases of real need amonst the locals, who may have fallen on hard times due to crisis, ilness or whatever.
JLFS is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:28 pm
  #28  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: south west England
Posts: 11
lou25 is just really nicelou25 is just really nicelou25 is just really nicelou25 is just really nicelou25 is just really nicelou25 is just really nicelou25 is just really nicelou25 is just really nice
Default Re: negative remarks

Originally Posted by maggie54 View Post
Hi! just joined, and I've already had very negative remarks about moving to spain! I regret joining now! It can't be that bad waking up to sunshine 8 months of the year?! What's so good about the UK anyway? maybe all the benefits everybody seems to abuse here. I have worked all my life, never afraid to 'get my hands dirty', but here as I watch all single girls with 3-4 babies with different fathers, people claiming benefits one day, and the next playing golf!! Spain is looking after itself by apploying spanish people first, nothing wrong with that! I work in a hotel at present, where polish and people
from other east european countries have or had more or less ' taken over'.
4 employees has been redundant or have had to cut their hours down because of the influx of east european workforce! No wonder Britain is in trouble- I could see this happening 10 years ago, and I was not wrong.
Anyway, if anybody has got something positive to say about moving to Spain, please replay to this message, so I can feel a bit happier in my decision to move. BE HAPPY
Hi Maggie!
I couldn't agree more with you here about the negative remarks!
I have found exactly the same problem, I have actually stopped coming on here quite a bit as I hasrdly find it helpful, when I do look things up or ask a question I find I get all negativity and actually a lot of people ask me why I'm even doing it...I mean isn't the whole point of this site to help each other out if we choose to move abroad?That's the reason of this site and I think some people use this to voice very negative opinions and basically give a bit of abuse at times.

Although saying that this is only a small proportion, I must say the people on here that have helped me have been very helpful and given me great links and advice and I really appreciate it very very much.

At the end of the day someone has the guts to get up and make a move and needs a little bit of support or help, if you know the answers give them, but don't then make it into a negative argument. Of course it's not all rosy were not stupid, but what's the point in going into it negitive-you wouldn't bother would you.

You have to stay positive and be prepared for the hardship, as yea sure it is hard, i've done a move abroad before and know all to well but if someone asked me about it I would tell them the most important thing is to weigh up the options, stay positive and go for it!!!!
lou25 is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:30 pm
  #29  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Catalunya, By the sea
Posts: 24
Mataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really nice
Default Re: negative remarks

I DO see the hard luck stories here in Spain too. I made a comparision of having a 'neverending' supply of benefits in UK, whereas here you have a time limit. Also here people have different work ethics, on the whole.

However, there are negatives, such as special help being given to immigrants here, and local born people being denied them. As with any system there are positives and negatives. I believe that more help SHOULD be given to single parents and other groups here. But you can't have everything. It is kind of ironic that many of the people on here who complain are retired and living off pensions from Britain though!
Mataroni is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:37 pm
  #30  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: negative remarks

Originally Posted by Mataroni View Post
I've lived in Spain for 11 years and see that things are very different here. If you don't work you're not entitled to any unempolyment benefits should you lose your job. Great because you don't end up paying to support lazy lay-abouts!

I love it here, but you've got to be prepared to integrate and learn the language. I did both Spanish and Catalan classes.

I see that a lot of people on here live in Andalucia, which is a very nice region, but depending on where you live is like 'Britain in the sun'. Which is all very well, if that's what you like.
Costa de la Luz. Definitely NOT 'Britain in the sun' thank goodness.
bil is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.