Reload this Page >

negative equity/repossession

negative equity/repossession

Old Sep 25th 2008, 1:33 am
Account Closed

CazW54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: negative equity/repossession

Originally Posted by queteden
i bought a house in spain two years ago and am now in negative equity. i don't have much capital in the property as i took a 110% mortgage. the house is now empty and i am living in south america. the question is if i were to stop paying the mortgage and wait for the house to be repossessed what would happen? i don't have any assets in the uk apart from a bit of money in a savings account. would my spanish lender be able to trace me through credit checks in the uk? if so would they be able access that money by going through the courts?
Seems to me you always were in negative equity and don't have any capital in the property, by definition. If the bank sell it will be as quickly as possible and could well leave a much bigger debt than expected- and therefore more incentive for the bank to track you down as it is worth their while to do it. Is it fair on other borrowers to run away from a debt- after all it only puts the costs up for everyone else as the banks try to recover their profits?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:09 am
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CazW54
Seems to me you always were in negative equity and don't have any capital in the property, by definition. If the bank sell it will be as quickly as possible and could well leave a much bigger debt than expected- and therefore more incentive for the bank to track you down as it is worth their while to do it. Is it fair on other borrowers to run away from a debt- after all it only puts the costs up for everyone else as the banks try to recover their profits?
If the banks found an oil well on one of there propertys.they would still but cost up.its called greed
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

queteden is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CazW54
...Is it fair on other borrowers to run away from a debt- after all it only puts the costs up for everyone else as the banks try to recover their profits?
fair???
Old Sep 30th 2008, 4:54 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by queteden
fair???
as in - is it fair to leave it for someone else - ie other borrowers from the bank - to repay the debt in the form of increased charges
Old Sep 30th 2008, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Technically, it was always our money in the first place - at least for those of us with deposits in a bank or any number of other investments including pension funds. So it's not just future borrowers that it affects.