Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Need a WiFi outdoor webcam in Palma

Need a WiFi outdoor webcam in Palma

Old Dec 27th 2016, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough
Default Need a WiFi outdoor webcam in Palma

Hey guys, I'm in Palma area and need a WiFi webcam to connect to my router. Google is useless, or perhaps I'm useless on Google. I have tried Bauhaus, but they only have indoor ones. Anyone know of a shop, prefer one I can drive to. Thanks in advance. Sporty.

Should note that I'm going home Saturday, so mail order is no good.

Mediamarkt also a NO....

Last edited by SportyPorty; Dec 27th 2016 at 1:49 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 2:49 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a WiFi outdoor webcam in Palma

Why not Mediamarkt? It has a good selection of Wifi cameras > Tiendas de informática y electrónica Media Markt - Yo no soy tonto

You could try Cortes Ingles?

Any local PC shop will be able to supply something suitable.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 2:51 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Has costco reached spain? They have a decent selection.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough

Thanks Missile, Mediamarkt do indeed have a vast selection, but none of them are outdoor/waterproof models.

Cortes Ingles had even less, only basic ones to stick to your laptop/PC for chat.

I managed to get what I wanted just up the road from Cortes Ingles however. Just the other side of the station and up a side street, called PCBox. Got it connected and all working now.

uk_grenada, not sure about Costco, I've not seen one. cheers.

I have Movistar fibre BB fitted now, and need to figure out how to add a VPN back to my home server in the UK, has anyone done this? It doesn't help that the initial interface is (obviously) in Spanish and despite me learning the language, technical terms are not generally covered in the learning material! )
Old Jan 4th 2017, 10:30 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

That means you have to run a vpn server within your uk server, sure it's do-able but why? If you want to access uk public services pretending to be in the uk there are plenty of cheap good providers.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Yes, that's exactly what I have. My server is running 24/7 anyhow, so I was intending to use it for a VPN too. That's all configured, I just need to configure the router to use it now. I intend to use it for NowTV/BBC iPlayer etc... I'll not be there for a few weeks though. Unfortunately I didn't have time to configure the router management page to be accessible via the internet, so will have to wait until I'm onsite.

Last edited by SportyPorty; Jan 4th 2017 at 12:30 pm. Reason: additional info
Old Jan 5th 2017, 3:26 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SportyPorty
Thanks Missile, Mediamarkt do indeed have a vast selection, but none of them are outdoor/waterproof models.

Cortes Ingles had even less, only basic ones to stick to your laptop/PC for chat.

I managed to get what I wanted just up the road from Cortes Ingles however. Just the other side of the station and up a side street, called PCBox. Got it connected and all working now.

uk_grenada, not sure about Costco, I've not seen one. cheers.

I have Movistar fibre BB fitted now, and need to figure out how to add a VPN back to my home server in the UK, has anyone done this? It doesn't help that the initial interface is (obviously) in Spanish and despite me learning the language, technical terms are not generally covered in the learning material! )
Mediamarkt have several outdoor waterproof models on the link I posted.

Whatever, I am glad you found what you wanted and hope you manage to link up so that you can view from the UK.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, quite possibly they do on their website, but when I went to their shop, all they had in stock were indoor models. I was short on time, so getting one ordered and delivered was a bit risky. But yes, it's in and working now, and great to be able to view from the UK. Just wish I was back in Mallorca, it's bloody freezing here. 1deg at the moment.

Edit, oh and thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Last edited by SportyPorty; Jan 5th 2017 at 3:45 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 5:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Just a point worth considering if you are going to use an external CCTV. The law in Spain is very restrictive about what you can and cannot film. If the coverage is entirely in your own property, no problem. If it covers other public areas or neighbouring property, then you may have a problem.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
Just a point worth considering if you are going to use an external CCTV. The law in Spain is very restrictive about what you can and cannot film. If the coverage is entirely in your own property, no problem. If it covers other public areas or neighbouring property, then you may have a problem.
Hmm, that's something I hadn't considered to be honest Fred. It does cover the road outside my property and some villas across the road, but they are far enough away so that there is little detail. There are quite a few webcams on this page (https://livecam-pro.com) do these laws also apply to them I wonder. I think there are supposed to be similar restrictions in the UK, but I've not heard of anyone being stopped. Is this the case in Spain, or are they a bit hot on them do you know? I certainly don't want attract the attention of the local police.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:14 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You may have noticed the apparent lack of CCTV in Spain compared to the UK. It is a privacy issue. Like many things in Spain, it is more likely that an affected member of the public or a neighbour would make a denuncia to the police. I have not had any personal experience of this happening, but have read about it on other forums.

You can read all the regulations here, in English.

https://www.agpd.es/portalwebAGPD/ca...ilancia_en.pdf
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

I will do, thanks for that Fred.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You may have noticed the apparent lack of CCTV in Spain compared to the UK. It is a privacy issue. Like many things in Spain, it is more likely that an affected member of the public or a neighbour would make a denuncia to the police. I have not had any personal experience of this happening, but have read about it on other forums.

You can read all the regulations here, in English.

https://www.agpd.es/portalwebAGPD/ca...ilancia_en.pdf
Thanks for that Fred, it's going to be useful as I need to install CCTV to catch the b----rd who has keyed our new car four times in two months.