Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

need jobs in Catral area

need jobs in Catral area

Old May 8th 2007, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

jazzjc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need jobs in Catral area

We have our house up for sale in UK and are relocating to Spain when sold. We will not make enough profit to buy so will need to rent. We have a place to stay for about 6 months rent free till we find jobs and a place to rent. We have an 8yr old son who we are so desperate to give and show a different way of life and to put him in a school in Spain. We live on the breadline here and are willing to live on the breadline there,could anyone tell me if its possible.
Old May 8th 2007, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

gettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant future
Default Re: need jobs in Catral area

well good luck with your move, we too are planning a move in the near future but luckily for us we have a business to take with us. Have lived in Spain before and whilst it is possible to live with little money and generally less than the UK I would really not suggest going and living anywhere new with little money especially with a child. Even though schooling is free dont forget that you will need to buy text books, meals transport and so on. Also, do you speak Spanish? whilst there are some jobs for non speakers these are often low paid bar work etc.

Now to the good bit!! generally it is in my experience less expensive to live in Spain but the lifestyle is very different, mobile phones, internet , sky etc are luxuries that we can all live without and the quality of life an family time is generally better.

Depends what your priorities are really I suppose, where are you thinking of moving to??

good luck
Old May 8th 2007, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

PoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nice

What sort of work are you looking for ?
there are a few bars ect in catral , and also a small industrial area.

are you able to buy a property when you get there?
from what you say though, living on the breadline in the uk , i think you may find it a little hard to re locate..
Old May 8th 2007, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

We currently live in a town on the min wage with increasing gang culture, we would have enough money to live for about a year including car. If it doesnt work out and cant get jobs we will have at least give our son an insight into something different. Our son is well above average in intelligence,surely the worst that can happen is we come back here and start where we left off.
Old May 8th 2007, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

gettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant future

i think that sometimes the best thing to do is go with that "gut feeling" and if you think its the right thing for you and your family then do it. But planning is the key in my opinion and would be good to get jobs, school etc lined up before you go rather than turning up with nothing in place.

again I say good good luck!
Old May 8th 2007, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PoolePaul
What sort of work are you looking for ?
there are a few bars ect in catral , and also a small industrial area.

are you able to buy a property when you get there?
from what you say though, living on the breadline in the uk , i think you may find it a little hard to re locate..
We are looking for any work and are not able to buy. Our main priority is to give our son an insight into something different.
Old May 8th 2007, 10:03 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzjc
We are looking for any work and are not able to buy. Our main priority is to give our son an insight into something different.
Hi jazzjc and welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid I don't know the area you are looking to relocate, but after reading your posts, I want to sincerely wish you and your family all the very best.

Martha
Old May 8th 2007, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gettingthere
i think that sometimes the best thing to do is go with that "gut feeling" and if you think its the right thing for you and your family then do it. But planning is the key in my opinion and would be good to get jobs, school etc lined up before you go rather than turning up with nothing in place.

again I say good good luck!
My mother inlaw has just bought a place in Catral and has given us at least 6-12 month to stay at hers rent free until we find something.We have visited the area and are realy impressed.
Old May 8th 2007, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

we too are selling up to move and when people say that we arte mad, we generally say we know that but would we move to say Scotland and keep a house in Yorkshire? if you like the area thats a really good start- family life is important to us so we need the lifestyle that Spain has to offer, maybe a bit like you are looking for yourselves?
Old May 8th 2007, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

PoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nice

my sister in law lives in san felipe neri , which is a small village just outside catral. they have 2 young children who go to the local school , which is very small , but has a fantastic teacher / pupil ratio. the village is very spanish and speaking the language is a must. its a great little village , very rural. definatly a place to consider if you want the spanish experiance.. work though in the surrounding areas for a non spanish speaker may be a little difficult.
on the other hand , my in laws live 15 mins down the a7 at Ciudad Quesada , which is an urb grown from rojales.Ciudad Quesada is very english and if you are prepared to network you would find a little work here and there.. but in my opinion i wouldnt move to spain to live in a little england..

good luck in all you try.
Old May 9th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by PoolePaul
my sister in law lives in san felipe neri , which is a small village just outside catral. they have 2 young children who go to the local school , which is very small , but has a fantastic teacher / pupil ratio. the village is very spanish and speaking the language is a must. its a great little village , very rural. definatly a place to consider if you want the spanish experiance.. work though in the surrounding areas for a non spanish speaker may be a little difficult.
on the other hand , my in laws live 15 mins down the a7 at Ciudad Quesada , which is an urb grown from rojales.Ciudad Quesada is very english and if you are prepared to network you would find a little work here and there.. but in my opinion i wouldnt move to spain to live in a little england..

good luck in all you try.
Catral, is a fairly expensive area to live and to buy, rent, not much doing, you may be better off near the coast, More work of the bar, promotional type or inland, where there is a lot of bulding work at the moment, but again this depends on skill base, if it labouring reckon on about 5 EU per hour, for a skill reckon on 10plus depending on talent,

Lost of people come here with no jobs no money, and buy a house with the proceeds of sale in the UK, and end up going home with nothing, but a house in spain that is slowly going to decay!!,

However good news, your gonna be in Alicante province, which means Medical is free, you have rent free accomodation, so you are not risking capital, and if you can keep you place back in UK as a bolt hole, you should damn well give it a go on the basis that it is an extended vist with a view to location if the timing and situ is right for u, as the risk is quite low, but the potential rewards are high!!.
Go for it on conditional well thought out terms !!
Old May 9th 2007, 10:26 am
aspeangel

However good news, your gonna be in Alicante province, which means Medical is free

What makes you say Medical is free in Alicante province?? Its only free if you have been paying into NI in Uk for last 2 years and 'free' cover doesn't last forever - when you do start paying in Spanish Social Security you need to play minimum of 240 euros per month, so its hardly free!! Thats obviously if you are self-employed. If you are lucky and find an employer to pay it for you then you are lucky!