Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Need info for having a baby in Spain,pls

Need info for having a baby in Spain,pls

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:18 am
Just Joined

feliztjb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need info for having a baby in Spain,pls

Hi can anyone help us? We are a British couple living in Spain and are planning to have a baby.We have our own property here and have NIE numbers.My partner is a fiscal resident and was paying taxes and social security as self employed for several years.Unfortunately because of the financial climate he is no longer working and we cannot afford to pay into the system.We have been told that medical care for birth and baby is free if you are not paying into the system,but we are not sure how reliable this information is.We've also been told that once born our child will be Spanish and will therefore be entitled to family benefit which I assume is the same as in the UK?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:33 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need info for having a baby in Spain,pls

Originally Posted by feliztjb
Hi can anyone help us? We are a British couple living in Spain and are planning to have a baby.We have our own property here and have NIE numbers.My partner is a fiscal resident and was paying taxes and social security as self employed for several years.Unfortunately because of the financial climate he is no longer working and we cannot afford to pay into the system.We have been told that medical care for birth and baby is free if you are not paying into the system,but we are not sure how reliable this information is.We've also been told that once born our child will be Spanish and will therefore be entitled to family benefit which I assume is the same as in the UK?
Hi, Medical care is free, however we´ve found it to be slow where it comes to scans, etc. We had a few done privately for which we paid. Also where we live (Ayamonte, Andalucia) there has been no maternity help after the birth. The Spanish Healtcare system relies heavily on the fact that within a family members take care of each other. My wife and I relied on eachother when we´ve had our kids.

Question, If you can´t pay your taxes, etc. how are you going to support a child ? (Welcome to Britishexpats.com)
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

The Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really nice

Originally Posted by feliztjb
Hi welcome to the forum, we had our baby here but like Jur we had private scans locally in Ayamonte and then the little one was born in Heulva, we didnt have to pay anything, the best thing is to get a good gyno (private) pay the scans and he/she will organise and book you in the hosipital.

We dont receive any family allowance in spain, however you can apply for it via the UK. Your child will be British and entitled to a British passport (apply via FCO Madrid)

You need to make 3 posts before I can send you more details via private message....
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Despite being British I think you would still be entitled to the 2500 free euros per baby.

Someone correct me if that is wrong.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:05 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Pope
Hi welcome to the forum, we had our baby here but like Jur we had private scans locally in Ayamonte and then the little one was born in Heulva, we didnt have to pay anything, the best thing is to get a good gyno (private) pay the scans and he/she will organise and book you in the hosipital.

We dont receive any family allowance in spain, however you can apply for it via the UK. Your child will be British and entitled to a British passport (apply via FCO Madrid)

You need to make 3 posts before I can send you more details via private message....
You are only entitled to Uk family allowance if one of the parents is working in the UK

Originally Posted by Veleta
Despite being British I think you would still be entitled to the 2500 free euros per baby.

I believe you are

I think I read it somewhere here http://www.mumsinspain.com/forums
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:15 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they are entitled to it, my daughter is in the process of claiming at the mo, but it is a lot of paperwork etc so best for them to get a Gestor to do it for them.
She also met the mayor and was given a cot and lots of other goodies, but this may be regional.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Even though the baby will be born in Spain it will still have to be British and have a British passport unless one of the parents are Spanish.

Can anyone tell me when this 2500 for having a baby came into effect?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:26 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Even though the baby will be born in Spain it will still have to be British and have a British passport unless one of the parents are Spanish.

Within the last two or so years as far as I know.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Why, did you have a baby and forget to fill out the application forms???

Details are here:

http://www.aeat.es/wps/portal/Navega...S&menu=2&img=7
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really nice

[QUOTE=lynnxa;7953598]You are only entitled to Uk family allowance if one of the parents is working in the UK

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...fies/DG_173532

This has more details around entitlements etc..... it gets confusing
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Why, did you have a baby and forget to fill out the application forms???

Details are here:

http://www.aeat.es/wps/portal/Navega...S&menu=2&img=7
We had a baby about 16 months ago. Can we claim? What are the conditions?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

We had a baby about 16 months ago. Can we claim? What are the conditions?
The grant came into effect July 2007, so yes you do qualify. What have you been doing since then?!?!

I'm not sure if there is a date by which you must make the claim, eg within the first year or something like that.

Check out the link I posted earlier. It should explain the details there.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

The grant came into effect July 2007, so yes you do qualify. What have you been doing since then?!?!

I'm not sure if there is a date by which you must make the claim, eg within the first year or something like that.

Check out the link I posted earlier. It should explain the details there.
Oh No!
From reading that website it seems that you have to be resident for at least two years prior to the birth.
Our residencia was completed about 21 months before the birth.
I assume that we don't qualify. (unless anyone can tell me different?)
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Getting paid for sprogging? Sounds like a recipe for disaster if the inhabitants of J Kyle's prog get to hear about it

.... where can parents read the info ref baby's nationality? Choice after the fact? No option? etc? I've seen & read so many conflicting versions, I'm sure there must be something somewhere that's black and white??
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:36 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=The Pope;7953858]
Originally Posted by lynnxa
You are only entitled to Uk family allowance if one of the parents is working in the UK

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...fies/DG_173532

This has more details around entitlements etc..... it gets confusing
what's confusing? it seems pretty straightforward to me

If you're going abroad permanently, or expect to be away for more than 52 weeks, you won't qualify for Child Benefit unless both of the following apply:

* you are moving to an EEA country or Switzerland
* you are paying UK NICs or receiving a UK National Insurance-related benefit
so unless you are paying NICs - so therefore probably working in the UK or for a UK company you don't get it, unless you get a NIC related benefit

NIC related benfits are these

Benefits that depend on NIC contributions

Your entitlement to the following benefits and/or the amount you can get will depend on your (or in some cases your spouse or civil partner's) NICs:

* Contribution based Jobseeker's Allowance (Class 1 NICs only)
* Incapacity Benefit (if you can't work for long periods due to illness or injury)
* Contribution based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
* State Pension
* additional State Pension (Class 1 NICs only)
* Widowed Parents' Allowance
* Bereavement Allowance
* Bereavement Payment
from here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...Tax/DG_4015904

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.