need help

Old Jan 8th 2012, 11:08 am
Just Joined

paul59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need help

Any help please, me and my family are moving to the Costa del sol area in June 2012, any information on what we need to do, and best areas for expats etc would be most helpful.

many thanks
Old Jan 8th 2012, 11:15 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: need help

Originally Posted by paul59
Any help please, me and my family are moving to the Costa del sol area in June 2012, any information on what we need to do, and best areas for expats etc would be most helpful.

many thanks
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 8th 2012, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Paul and family, and welcome.
Hopefully you've already trawled BE Spain so you'll be aware there are loads of people with loads of differing opinions about this, that and the other aspect of moving to, living in, or returning from, the huge country that is Spain.
For myself (living near but not on the Costa del Sol) I always think it's helpful if I know as much as the person can bring themself to divulge before knowing what information they really want/need or how best I can help.
For example: will you have work to come to? Which bit of the Costa del Sol and have you already got accommodation sorted? What do you regard as important in terms of 'best areas' because not all expats agree on what they want/need? Do you speak fluent Spanish? A bit? None? What is your family/are there children to school etc?
So many questions I know and it's not meant to be the 'spanish inquisition' () but no-one can really make snap comments without at least some of the answers!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 1:49 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul59

many thanks

What do you want to know??? The costa del Sol is a large area, so you need to pinpoint where you want to be, near airports, towns, schools, hospitals, the sea, the countryside???? If you need to find work, that will be your biggest problem, cos there is very little - but if you have a good, transferable profession, then you need to locate an area that has companies that may be able employ you and get that "water tight" before you make any decisions.

The best thing you can do is make a few fact finding visits.

Jo xxx
Old Jan 8th 2012, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but I have to say if you plan to move over this year and still asking which area you have done a severe lack of homework, should be over looking, checking what is best for you and family, CDS is quite large, you may prefer the west end near Gib or then Nerja area, not withstanding inland, People will only tell you the place they like as I would here on costa Tropical, but most people would not like it here, we love it.

You, I feel need to come over and spend some time checking, not meant to be a knock down juts check for yourself, we spent several years coming over and looking at all the costa's from around Benidorm to Gibralter before settling here.

But as previous poster has said, ask questions for people to answer that will help, maybe where best for ex pats or not, shopping, near airport or not. facilities so many things to find out, whatever I do wish you well and hope it is all good for you
Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Best thing in my opinion to do is rent a property in an area that you think you would like to live, consider every small detail how ever lame even down to any children developing friendships, pets, location to buses should you be without a car. The thought of moving to Spain is a great idea but the reality is very different especially if you have children, planing on getting work, think you are going to live the dream. You are more than welcome to contact me for any information and I will do my best to help.

The coast is generally warmer but more expensive to rent, renting inland is cheaper and may be a good option to start out with.