Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Need to buy €s

Need to buy €s

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

jimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nice
Default Need to buy €s

We need to buy some €s for our visit next month. Can anyone recommend a Co that has a good exchange rate against the £ for smaller amounts of dosh?
My Bank offered 1.28 & a travel agent 1.29. Might just have to keep my hands in my pocket at this rate
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:48 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Need to buy €s

Originally Posted by jimmbo
We need to buy some €s for our visit next month. Can anyone recommend a Co that has a good exchange rate against the £ for smaller amounts of dosh?
My Bank offered 1.28 & a travel agent 1.29. Might just have to keep my hands in my pocket at this rate

I haven't loss my sense's here, try the Post Office, they don't charge commission and usually have a good rate.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

jimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nice

Originally Posted by crispy
I haven't loss my sense's here, try the Post Office, they don't charge commission and usually have a good rate.
Thanks crispy,
Have just tried the PO online they offer 1.2811. Have found a site that lists banks & the exchange merchants so that you can compare, not too sure about any hidden charges. Anyway best rate so far is 1.33. Have just hear that the States have cut their interest rates so will wait and see.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:30 pm
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

That 1.33 may well be a commercial rate!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ive used travalex in the past

Sun Pay are doing 1.32 at the moment
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Need to buy €s

Originally Posted by mikeoc
That 1.33 may well be a commercial rate!
The way it seems to work is, the quoted rate on many FX websites such as 1.33 is available for large commercial transactions say £2m+. For transferring say £70,000 for house purchase you would be offered say 1,30 - 1.31 but for travel spend the banks and money shops offer 1.28 - 1.29 and some even take commision out of that. So the Sun Pay rate is very good if they will change £500 at that rate
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:07 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
. So the Sun Pay rate is very good if they will change £500 at that rate
The rate is accross the board, if its £10 or £5000
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:49 am
Just Joined

couchpotato has a brilliant futurecouchpotato has a brilliant futurecouchpotato has a brilliant futurecouchpotato has a brilliant futurecouchpotato has a brilliant futurecouchpotato has a brilliant future

I don't know of Sun Pay but surprisingly I have found M&S have pipped the Post Office over recent months on the rate but as with PO it is best to pay by notes rather than by debit'credit card as the provider may charge a handling fee which defeats the object of "commission free" offerings
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jimmbo
Hi Jimmbo
Are you buying your euros for holiday spending money ,or to finance a property purchase ?
If you are buying large amounts you should get an account with a currency broker & get the benefit of the commercial rate.
We use interchange but there are several others if you want to compare rates.
The ones I have used don't charge any commission on purchases over £ 5000.00 & amounts lower than that are only £10.00-£15.00

Chris

Last edited by chrismortley; Jan 23rd 2008 at 7:27 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:17 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

If its just a small amount of euros you are needing then 1.29 or 1.30 isnt going to make a huge different, youre talking about 1 cent per pound. So if your changing 200 quid, then the difference is literally just a couple of euros.
ie like 1 pound 50. so is it worth spending hours looking for the best exchange rate for just a couple of quid? Nah.

But yeah avoid commission and stuff like that. just want a straight swap.
The euro rate is great for us euro earners to go back to the UK with. Infact in gibraltar the other day people were saying its cheaper to pay in euros than in pounds due to the exchange rate.. normally its the other way round! But i was slightly dubious about that!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

I think the point to make is that the money markets are so B*/*""+d at the moment any transaction is going to lose money. We changed cash last week of November and had a rate of 1.42, now it's down to 1.29, thats a big drop!

We come out again second week of March, just hope its gone back up a little by then
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chrismortley
Hi Jimmbo
Are you buying your euros for holiday spending money ,or to finance a property purchase ?
If you are buying large amounts you should get an account with a currency broker & get the benefit of the commercial rate.
We use interchange but there are several others if you want to compare rates.
The ones I have used don't charge any commission on purchases over £ 5000.00 & amounts lower than that are only £10.00-£15.00

Chris
Hi Chris,
It's holiday money. Will be keeping a weather eye on the exchange rate before we transfer any £,s for the house.
jimmbo