Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Near Torrevieja - San Luis/La Siesta/El Chaparral -any obvious downsides

Near Torrevieja - San Luis/La Siesta/El Chaparral -any obvious downsides

Old Jun 25th 2013, 8:10 pm
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice
Default Near Torrevieja - San Luis/La Siesta/El Chaparral -any obvious downsides

I know that the Torrevieja area isn't everyones cup of tea but we are thinking about buying in the area mentioned in the thread title. It seems to have everything we need in the way of infrastructure, including a decent bus service and importantly it's fairly flat terrain.

We've toured the area, looked at the commercial centres, one has a very well stocked supermarket, two more have bakers and there is a Mercadona across the road.

Does anyone know of any obvious disadvantages to living there that we may not have thought of i.e

is it low lying enough to flood?
does it have more than an average mosquito problem given its proximity to the two lakes?

Again because of the lakes are the humidity levels higher than elsewhere?

Any other disadvantages?
Old Jun 25th 2013, 9:27 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Near Torrevieja - San Luis/La Siesta/El Chaparral -any obvious downsides

What is one persons ideal location will not suit another. You seem to have selected areas which suits you guys. There are many Brits happily living in those urbanisations. They are well serviced by public transport with shops close at hand e.g. Mercadona, Carrefor plus several pubs and restaurants to choose from.
Mosquitoes breed in water, so best to avoid properties close to water. They can be voracious during summer evenings.
I have not seen any flooding in any of the areas you mention. Having said that, in CB there can (on occasion) be extremely heavy and prolonged rainfall, the drainage system simply cannot cope. This leads to flash flooding in the streets, When the rain stops the water will soon drain away.

Last edited by missile; Jun 25th 2013 at 9:30 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 9:28 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Near Torrevieja - San Luis/La Siesta/El Chaparral -any obvious downsides

Originally Posted by Library Ticket
I know that the Torrevieja area isn't everyones cup of tea but we are thinking about buying in the area mentioned in the thread title. It seems to have everything we need in the way of infrastructure, including a decent bus service and importantly it's fairly flat terrain.

We've toured the area, looked at the commercial centres, one has a very well stocked supermarket, two more have bakers and there is a Mercadona across the road.

Does anyone know of any obvious disadvantages to living there that we may not have thought of i.e

is it low lying enough to flood?
does it have more than an average mosquito problem given its proximity to the two lakes?

Again because of the lakes are the humidity levels higher than elsewhere?

Any other disadvantages?
You might bump into HGB That could seen by some to be a disadvantage,
Old Jun 26th 2013, 4:46 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
Cheeky!
Old Jun 26th 2013, 5:07 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The downside could be that the area has plenty of cheap and cheerful terraced bungalows up to 80K and plenty of villas over 180K, but little in between, apart from over-extended bungalows that look silly, and villas that have been left to rot.

But if you like elderly Scandinavians who dress on hot pants, men and women, you will have come to the right place.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 6:47 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

a further downside is the number of illegal properties around the Alicante area including Torrevieja.
check, double check and then triple check the legality of any home you decide to buy.
do not use a local solicitor, use one from another area or use one based in the UK who is Spanish - there are a number around.

remember that no matter how nice the people are that own the property you like, they may well be hiding the true situation of the property. And you will take on any/all responsibilities once you have bought it. Including the €9,000 demolition charges.

If it quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck - it doesn't mean it is a duck.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 7:31 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Domino
a further downside is the number of illegal properties around the Alicante area including Torrevieja.
check, double check and then triple check the legality of any home you decide to buy.
do not use a local solicitor, use one from another area or use one based in the UK who is Spanish - there are a number around.

remember that no matter how nice the people are that own the property you like, they may well be hiding the true situation of the property. And you will take on any/all responsibilities once you have bought it. Including the €9,000 demolition charges.

If it quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck - it doesn't mean it is a duck.
There are indeed thousands of illegal houses in the Alicante province, but not in this particular area near Torrevieja, which was mostly built over 30 years ago and does not have urbanisation status having been administered by the city of Torrevieja for many years.

The area has a settled population of 30,000 with an established infrastructure, and is highly regarded by the city's administration who reap the taxes.

Nevertheless it is good sense to check on the legality of extensions through an independent lawyer and even better sense to rent rather than buy in this still-falling Spanish property market.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 7:51 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
There are indeed thousands of illegal houses in the Alicante province, but not in this particular area near Torrevieja, which was mostly built over 30 years ago and does not have urbanisation status having been administered by the city of Torrevieja for many years.

The area has a settled population of 30,000 with an established infrastructure, and is highly regarded by the city's administration who reap the taxes.

Nevertheless it is good sense to check on the legality of extensions through an independent lawyer and even better sense to rent rather than buy in this still-falling Spanish property market.
thanks for that update - and yes, extensions, alterations etc that haven't been approved by the planning dept will make for a difficult time for the new owner unless they can get the previous owner to sort it before exchanging.

as to a falling market - not so sure about that for properties that are legal, its the illegal ones that are dropping like a stone. But that then leads to another problem with the Hacienda wanting to have their taxes paid based on unrealistic prices without arguement.

Its a tough place out there if anyone is buying a property, but the best advice is to NOT use a local solicitor or one suggested by an estate agent. Look further afield for a truely independent and unbiased legal advice.

`
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute

Its a tough place out there if anyone is buying a property, but the best advice is to NOT use a local solicitor or one suggested by an estate agent. Look further afield for a truely independent and unbiased legal advice.

`
So, if intending to buy somewhere like Cabo Roig, this means I could try to find an English-speaking solicitor in Alicante?
If so, can anyone recommend one, please?
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:49 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by minouette
So, if intending to buy somewhere like Cabo Roig, this means I could try to find an English-speaking solicitor in Alicante?
You don't have to go as far as Alicante, there will be some in Orihuela or Torrevieja. I can't recommend one, but the foreigners office in Torrevieja can do that for you. They've just moved so I don't know whether their phone number is up to date.

They're part of the new tourist office by the yacht club on the front, a really pleasant place to visit.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:56 am
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice

`
I really can understand not using any solicitor recommended by the estate agent.

However I would have thought that given the fact that every local area operates in a slightly different way to the neighbouring areas, using a local solicitor with local knowledge would be prudent.

Please can you explain your reasons for thinking otherwise.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 12:23 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minouette
I would recommend a very good Spanish solicitor who speaks excellent English. e mail: [email protected] Tel: +34 965 725 410 / Fax: +34 966 717 121
Old Jun 30th 2013, 10:06 am
Retired and in Spain

Originally Posted by me me
Hmm. Would that be better or worse than bumping into the elderly Scandinavians wearing hot pants ?

If no-one comes up with anymore disadvantages I might be back with a new thread relating to living there.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 10:13 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know the place but have read a lot about high crime rates there, discarded needles on the beach etc. Suppose it's like everywhere else. depends on the location.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 10:23 am
Retired and in Spain

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Don't know the place but have read a lot about high crime rates there, discarded needles on the beach etc. Suppose it's like everywhere else. depends on the location.
This area is at the back of the town about 6km inland. I think it's supposed to be one of the better areas.

Some areas of the towns beaches are OK but there are other beaches within 10 -15 minutes drive which are nicer (in my opinion).

I think HBG has posted in the past that the crime rates have reduced during the last few years.

Last edited by Library Ticket; Jun 30th 2013 at 10:28 am.