Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Nasty tax surprise when buying a house in Valencia..

Nasty tax surprise when buying a house in Valencia..

Old Apr 16th 2014, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nasty tax surprise when buying a house in Valencia..

Fred as to the CPS there are enough problems in Spain without trying to double guess what is going on here! Being let us say associated with the law for yonks and being around in the 60's and 70's I hold views.

Just a view why did the CPS ship Marc Heywood QC a Treasury Counsel all the way from London to Preston Crown Court to prosecute Nigel Evans. Mr Heywood is not cheap!

To try to bolster a case that was not going anywhere. It is alleged that the prosecution could have been conducted by a junior at less than half the fees. Of course we or at least those who pay taxes here contributed to Mr Heywoods fees.

Thus it is argued that Mr Evans had to engage also a QC and his costs were £130000. Mr Heywood comes in at more than that!
Old Apr 16th 2014, 12:05 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

What's the UK got to do with it started by a Mod too!
Old Apr 16th 2014, 12:08 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I'm unsure why this hasn't hit the headlines, but it seems you could be landed with a nasty tax bill if you buy a "bargain" in Valencia. I'm not even sure this article is correct when it states you can avoid the tax by disputing it - surely it just delays the payment?
Very sombre reading for any of us tempted by the fall in prices in Valencian property.

http://www.houses-for-sale-in-spain....perty-in-spain

Naughty Steve TutTut. Have only just read your link. Wondered why you had bothered as we have discussed this countless times....surprise surprise. The site is run by your old mate Graham Hunt.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't remember how far back they can go 6/8 years? they copped me and as stated before, my lawyer advised it's cheaper to pay than fight a losing battle.Seems i received my bill 1 week inside the time limit and because i was working abroad at the time got an added few hundred by way of late payment interest.But if you pay black money you take a chance.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

I'm buying in Valencia. The lawyer I am using did a transaction for a friend a few years ago. Back then there was a little "get together" with the official out of the room while many thousands of Euros changed hands. My friend was asked if he wanted it done that way.

I had my first meeting with the lawyer a few weeks ago. Nothing like that was mentioned and it won't be happening.

Times are changing, maybe.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 11:15 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
I'm buying in Valencia. The lawyer I am using did a transaction for a friend a few years ago. Back then there was a little "get together" with the official out of the room while many thousands of Euros changed hands. My friend was asked if he wanted it done that way.

I had my first meeting with the lawyer a few weeks ago. Nothing like that was mentioned and it won't be happening.

Times are changing, maybe.
They certainly have.
What you describe used to be fairly standard practice which was conducted within the office of the Notario.
There may still be a certain amount of cash changing hands, but it is unlikely to be in the office of the Notario and is likely to incur a much greater degree of risk than previously.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 12:01 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Naughty Steve TutTut. Have only just read your link. Wondered why you had bothered as we have discussed this countless times....surprise surprise. The site is run by your old mate Graham Hunt.
Funnily enough I met this Graham guy for the first time last week...not sure where you get this "old mate" stuff, you're hallucinating
Doesn't take away from the subject matter - and you are free to post other articles on this matter. The point is that in Valencia the tax has gone up to 10% whereas it's lower in other areas (6% I believe in Madrid). Worth flagging up I would have thought for people thinking of buying in Valencia - they'd get hit so much harder by this.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Paying 10% is gruesome, but what can you do when it's where you want to be.

I did some travelling around inland in Valencia and even in the more prosperous towns I saw very few 'se vende' signs. I think it might have killed the market to locals.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Funnily enough I met this Graham guy for the first time last week...not sure where you get this "old mate" stuff, you're hallucinating
Doesn't take away from the subject matter - and you are free to post other articles on this matter. The point is that in Valencia the tax has gone up to 10% whereas it's lower in other areas (6% I believe in Madrid). Worth flagging up I would have thought for people thinking of buying in Valencia - they'd get hit so much harder by this.
You have been linking to him for years on here. I remember his photo. Looks like the typical would you buy a used car off this man
Old Apr 20th 2014, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

deepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond repute

You have been linking to him for years on here. I remember his photo. Looks like the typical would you buy a used car off this man
I had the misfortune to meet him. He is arrogant, chauvinistic and doesn't listen to his client. I would run a mile from any business deal with him.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 6:33 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

You scratch my back and....................
Old Apr 20th 2014, 11:16 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deepcpearl
I had the misfortune to meet him. He is arrogant, chauvinistic and doesn't listen to his client. I would run a mile from any business deal with him.
Graham Hunt or steviedelux? lol
Old Apr 20th 2014, 11:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Graham Hunt or steviedelux? lol
LOL good one :-)
Old Apr 20th 2014, 10:16 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been told in no uncertain terms by yet another expert expat Brit who is "expert" in all things Spain, that the nasty "surprise" isn't true and the tax is assessed on the catastral price at sale time (although we paid far higher tax on our property than the catastral value, because they assessed their own tax independent of sale price or catastral value)...

The truth is, you need to ask the ayuntamento what they believe the catastral value is and how they will tax it. It can vary greatly depending on region, and even who is sitting at the desk on the day you ask...
Old Apr 20th 2014, 10:21 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deepcpearl
Sounds like a real nice guy.

With friends like that...................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.