Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

my spanish mobile was cut off

my spanish mobile was cut off

Old Nov 15th 2009, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of
Default my spanish mobile was cut off

i know all payg mobiles had to be registered by november,but when i bought mine had to give passport details to buy it so no prob i thought

wrong still cut off,good knews tho i just took phone and passport to local vodaphone shop(not where i bought it)and in 2 mins registered again and should be back on in 48 hours

apparently according to the guy this has been extended by 6 months as so many thought like i did

waste of time and money if you ask me tho
Old Nov 15th 2009, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my spanish mobile was cut off

Yup,
I've already registered mine twice (and my 3G dongle, too). I fully expect none of it will work next time I'm back over - so will have to talk to the morose lady in the Vodafone shop *again* after queuing half an hour for the privilege
Old Nov 15th 2009, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Jeanie27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here. I bought my sim and passport details were taken however I was still cut off. On my last trip to Spain I stood and waited for over an hour to speak with a couldn't be a*sed assistant in the Vodafone shop in Estepa and was told to come back in 5 hours. I went back at the said time, waited 30 minutes only to be told to come back the next day. I walked out of the shop, went next door to Movistar where I was seen within minutes by a very helpful lady and where I bought a new PAYG mobile for 15 euros whichcame with a free 12 euro call card. The factura (and the assistant) both assured me that my phone is registered so fingers crossed.

I'm sure the system works albeit with a few hiccups here and there.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 9:43 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I registered my (very old) SIM card earlier this year and then went to the UK and didn't use it for five months apart from a couple of texts,

I thought it might get cut off through not topping it up enough as well as the registration going wrong, but no, it is working perfectly (falls over in shock), so the registration must have been fine.

I showed a passport when I bought it in 2003, but thought I'd register it to be on the safe side. Glad I did!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

I registered mine the end of October & the young lady informed me that the registration had to be done annually
Anyone else been given the same information ?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:09 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

The law says that the phone has to have been registered (or bought) after 07 Nov 2007 so if you bought a phone before that date, even if you had to show your passport etc at the time, you still have to re-register your details. Here there was a queue out the door and round the block at the Vodaphone shop on Sat 07! Despite having been given 2 years' notice to do it, everyone left registration til the last minute
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:11 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrismortley
I registered mine the end of October & the young lady informed me that the registration had to be done annually
Anyone else been given the same information ?
From memory, there's a fecha de caducidad on the certificate you get, no?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

We were very efficient and registered our Vodafone PAYG sims way back in last year.

When we were out in October we kept getting texts from Vodafone warning us about having to register. They must send 'em to everyone I naively thought.

Feeling a bit Spanish one day and noticing no queue in the vodafone shop we wandered in and asked about registering.

"Ah" the kind lady said, "you registered this before February this year?"

"Yes" we replied, mystified.

"Oh well, if you registered it before February it's invalid and you have to register it again!"

Which is just what we did...
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Orange PAYG which I purchased about two years ago.
Had to fill in loads of forms.

However it is still working.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:58 am
around

w1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud of

Hi i have just switch on my spanish network and is still working so far.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:16 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I have an Orange PAYG which I purchased about two years ago.
Had to fill in loads of forms.

However it is still working.
This may be because they've extended the dead line by 6 months - or you may be OK
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
This may be because they've extended the dead line by 6 months - or you may be OK
It must be OK. Unregistered phones were all cut off I think, and their owners have 6 months to get them reinstated by registering.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

well mine was back working again today so no real probs
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Registration is bizarre. It's to do with anti crime. Someone should tell the countries outside Spain that to use their phone inside Spain they should be very careful. Roaming charges have been reduced to encourage non Spanish mobile phone users to use the phone in Spain.
And if you register in Spain do you have to unregister if you lose / sell / give to your maid ? What are the rules about this ? It is all beyond me.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:47 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nige
Registration is bizarre. It's to do with anti crime. Someone should tell the countries outside Spain that to use their phone inside Spain they should be very careful. Roaming charges have been reduced to encourage non Spanish mobile phone users to use the phone in Spain.
And if you register in Spain do you have to unregister if you lose / sell / give to your maid ? What are the rules about this ? It is all beyond me.
It will be up to you I suppose, but if it's registered in your name, then any problems are likely to come back to you. If it was me, I would deregister it as soon as I got rid, or get rid without the sim card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.