Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

My experience living in madrid after 5 years

My experience living in madrid after 5 years

Old Nov 24th 2020, 5:39 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience living in madrid after 5 years

Originally Posted by rspltd
... I can see no tangible benefits in being so....
I feel the benefit is more personal. Hard to interact socially using a translation device.
When I worked in Netherlands, I found it useful to understand what others were saying to each other, when they assumed I could not understand their comments.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Reading this with interest. I lived and worked in Bulgaria for many years. I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life there. It did not work out that way ! I was well integrated and had no intention of returning to SCO, but I did. "Man proposes and God disposes !"
Old Nov 24th 2020, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rspltd
I am following this discussion with great interest.One point that has been raised and is often raised in these type of discussions is the benefit of children raised in the foreign country being bilingual being seen as a benefit. I was taught three languages at school and continued with them thereafter and whilst not fluent I am able to converse with most native speakers and make myself understood and yet I can see no tangible benefits in being so. With mobile phones being a constant companion these days and translators being digitised there seems no need to have detailed knowledge of language anymore (other than you own). I watched a very successful negotiation carried out in a Turkish supermarket between the staff and a Japanese lady all carried out by phone.
When it comes to employment certainly a benefit. I have Spanish friends who can't find jobs in Spain and those who speak French, German can walk into a job in Spain. It depends on market but language is still a huge benefit and most businesses want local language support, otherwise they won't buy the product. I work in Ireland and our department currently has 6 positions available. All 6 positions require another European language.

Last edited by Moses2013; Nov 24th 2020 at 6:13 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
When it comes to employment certainly a benefit. I have Spanish friends who can't find jobs in Spain and those who speak French, German can walk into a job in Spain. It depends on market but language is still a huge benefit and most businesses want local language support, otherwise they won't buy the product. I work in Ireland and our department currently has 6 positions available. All 6 positions require another European language.
So an Irish speaker who could also speak English, would fit the bill I assume?
Old Nov 25th 2020, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
So an Irish speaker who could also speak English, would fit the bill I assume?
Unfortunately that's only in the Public sector. Italian, Dutch, Spanish or French would fit the bill. Just checked now and German always needed it seems.
https://ie.linkedin.com/jobs/german-speaking-jobs

Old Nov 26th 2020, 1:47 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

One of the many downsides to this Covid situation is it's stopped a lot of people from getting on with their lives.
The OP states he left a job in the UK that only paid 22k, but would it be easy to find one that even paid that on returning? Problem is that recruitment agencies are not always the best at recognising skills that are developed abroad. If he does want to return, try the jobs market first - but needless to say, may have to wait until the pandemic is over.
Another thing that may be worth working out is the pension side. We know Spain (like other European countries) pays a far bigger state pension than the UK. This obviously depends on contributions made, so maybe investigate the situation. Will he be easily able to keep contributions going or transfer to the UK system?
Old Nov 26th 2020, 1:54 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it always comes down to your personal situation. In reality over 30K is a pretty good salary for Spain and many IT jobs pay a lot less. Truth is that kids cost money, so the family with 3 kids will always need more money than a couple without kids. These challenges remain in every country, so if it's better in the UK I don't know. Maybe people with kids in the UK have better opportunities to get social housing, other benefits.
Some very good points. There are many things to consider as regards the childrens' future. For example, if moving back to a British city, can you avoid them getting caught up in the gang violence (or is it a problem in the current Spanish location)? Do you want them to go onto university? If so, the tuition fees will be enormous back in the UK. Otoh if they are top achievers, may be you want them to try for Oxbridge?
Hard to decide on many things without a crystal ball.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Reading this with interest. I lived and worked in Bulgaria for many years. I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life there. It did not work out that way ! I was well integrated and had no intention of returning to SCO, but I did. "Man proposes and God disposes !"
thats the thing, sometimes.. it just doesnt work.

Unfortunately that's only in the Public sector. Italian, Dutch, Spanish or French would fit the bill. Just checked now and German always needed it seems.
https://ie.linkedin.com/jobs/german-speaking-jobs
blimey with those salaries i might have to investigate. My other half speaks 4 languages fluently, and can get by in 3 or 4 more , i speak 2 and can get by in a couple more, yet here we are, working for 1000 a month.

Last edited by bfg69bug; Nov 27th 2020 at 3:41 am.