Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

My complicated problem

My complicated problem

Old Jan 27th 2022, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My complicated problem

If you are going to Spain for 3 months then you take your EHIC/GHIC to cover you if you are just looking for houses However if you find one and want permanent residence then you are going to have to apply for a Visa which has to be applied for from your home country
Old Jan 27th 2022, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Keithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
If you are going to Spain for 3 months then you take your EHIC/GHIC to cover you if you are just looking for houses However if you find one and want permanent residence then you are going to have to apply for a Visa which has to be applied for from your home country
Thank you,
But my partner will have a Irish Passport?
Old Jan 27th 2022, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Keithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
All explained here: https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/hea...ur-healthcare/

UK-funded healthcare using an S1 form

If you move to an EU country or Switzerland and you receive a UK State Pension, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK.

You'll need to apply for a certificate of entitlement known as an S1 form. S1 forms show that your state healthcare is paid for by the UK if you live in an EU country or Switzerland.

If you’re applying for an S1 form in Switzerland, you'll need to satisfy additional nationality criteria to be eligible. You'll only be issued with an S1 in Switzerland if you're a UK national, a Swiss national, an EU citizen, a refugee or a stateless person, or if you're the family member or survivor of someone who has one of these nationalities or statuses.

If you receive both a pension from the country you now live in and your UK State Pension, you cannot get an S1 form. This is because the country you live in will be responsible for your healthcare.

If you receive your UK State Pension as well as a pension from an EU member state, but are now living in a different EU state, the country to which you paid contributions toward your pension for the longest period becomes responsible for your healthcare.
_________________________________________-
A, "you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK?
B, "
If you receive both a pension from the country you now live in and your UK State Pension, you cannot get an S1 form. This is because the country you live in will be responsible for your healthcare.
Hence confusion.....
Old Jan 27th 2022, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keithtoon
_________________________________________-
A, "you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK?
B, "
Hence confusion.....
A: is just in relation to requirements: You must be eligible to receive the UK state pension and have reached retirement age
B: That just means that if you are receiving a pension from Spain (the country you live) and from the UK, Spain would be responsible and you wouldn't get S1.
C: Would be if your wife previously worked in Ireland and the UK but is now living in Spain: The country to which you paid contributions toward your pension for the longest period becomes responsible for your healthcare.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 27th 2022 at 12:08 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2022, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
A: is just in relation to requirements: You must be eligible to receive the UK state pension and have reached retirement age
B: That just means that if you are receiving a pension from Spain (the country you live) and from the UK, Spain would be responsible and you wouldn't get S1.
C: Would be if your wife previously worked in Ireland and the UK but is now living in Spain: The country to which you paid contributions toward your pension for the longest period becomes responsible for your healthcare.
__________________________________________________ ____
Thank you Moses.
Yes I will have full UK Gov Pension plus Private pension.
No pension from Spain.
My partner Macy has never worked in Ireland.
But when I apply to live in Spain will I need Private Health or will S1 be ok. We are both in very good health,no medication at all!
Old Jan 27th 2022, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

itsiani is an unknown quantity at this point

Medical insurance guidance for a NLV from the Manchester UK Consulate website - my italics:
  1. Medical certificate: The applicant must be accredited to not suffer from any diseases that can have serious health consequences in accordance with the provisions of the International Health Regulations 2005. Must be legalized by means of a Hague Apostille Certificate and translated into Spanish *
  2. Medical insurance with an insurance company authorised to operate in Spain valid for at least the first 12 months of stay in Spain. The British S1 form is also acceptable.
Old Jan 27th 2022, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itsiani
Medical insurance guidance for a NLV from the Manchester UK Consulate website - my italics:
  1. Medical certificate: The applicant must be accredited to not suffer from any diseases that can have serious health consequences in accordance with the provisions of the International Health Regulations 2005. Must be legalized by means of a Hague Apostille Certificate and translated into Spanish *
  2. Medical insurance with an insurance company authorised to operate in Spain valid for at least the first 12 months of stay in Spain. The British S1 form is also acceptable.
I posted last week that I had seen information indicating that S1 forms were now being accepted by the Spanish Consulates in the UK for health insurance purposes with visa applications (but unfortunately couldn't remember where I had read it), so thank you for posting this.
Old Jan 27th 2022, 5:01 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

That’s good to know. It always used to be that way and it would be crazy to change it.
Old Jan 27th 2022, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly the London consulate do not mention the S1 and simply state:

"6. Public or private health insurance taken out by an insurance company authorised to operate in Spain."

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...ES%20ES-EN.pdf

The 'Catch 22' is due to the fact that you can only register with INSS for healthcare with an S1 AFTER you have gained residency.

The visa is only permission to come to Spain where you then have to apply for residency within 30 days and for which you need to show medical cover so claiming the S1 is valid for that is putting the cart before the horse.

Does anyone know anybody who has gained their visa with an S1 AND then passed TIE muster in Spain with it?
Old Jan 28th 2022, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in touch with an immigration para-legal I know who has replied as follows:

"I have consulted with the Manchester Consulate and they have given me the cryptic response that an S1 is acceptable as long as it is registered already in Spain. Obviously it cannot be registered in Spain because you have to be resident to register it."

But it gets worse because she's also told me this:

"Those people who used S1s as proof of healthcare entitlement to apply for residency under the Withdrawal Agreement are now being told that they cannot register their S1s because they have to be dated after the residency was granted. What people do not realise is that Overseas Healthcare refuse to change the date on an S1. They are utterly obstinate about this and will only issue a new S1 if the INSS in Spain - who do not speak English - submit a form to them which, even when it has been sent, they seem to lose.

I have just won a battle with Overseas Healthcare about this. One lady waited a whole 13 months for Overseas Healthcare to agree to send her a new S1 with a date post residency and in the other case I actually wrote an official complaint on the man’s behalf and sent it to Boris Johnson. Two weeks later they sent him a new S1 which ended a 6 month impasse."

Originally Posted by airways
My friend registered last year and took his S1 to the immigration meeting and that was accepted.
Given the above I'd want to see the precise details of that case which, remembering that this is Spanish autonomous region bureaucracy we're taking about, could amount to nothing more than a mistake or ill informed decision by a single operative at a particular registration office on a particular day.

Not forgetting also that it's not just the immigration meeting which counts but what happens with INSS afterwards!

Imagine someone with significant pre-existing health conditions being granted an NLV on the strength of an S1 then selling up in UK, moving to Spain, then TIE and S1 in hand being turned away by INSS AND refused private insurance, what is that person supposed to do, what could they do except pay privately which could easily be the road to bankruptcy.

On top of that would be the fact that lacking health cover of one sort or the other they would not even be legally resident.

This is really playing with peoples lives, both figuratively and potentially literally, and needs addressing from the top. Consulates are a function of central government so there can be no possible excuse for them giving out both incorrect and conflicting advice!
Old Jan 28th 2022, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Oddly the London consulate do not mention the S1 and simply state:

"6. Public or private health insurance taken out by an insurance company authorised to operate in Spain."

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...ES%20ES-EN.pdf

The 'Catch 22' is due to the fact that you can only register with INSS for healthcare with an S1 AFTER you have gained residency.

The visa is only permission to come to Spain where you then have to apply for residency within 30 days and for which you need to show medical cover so claiming the S1 is valid for that is putting the cart before the horse.

Does anyone know anybody who has gained their visa with an S1 AND then passed TIE muster in Spain with it?

Yes, as I said earlier, my friend has just come here on an NLV with an S1. You are missing the point I think, over thinking the situation.... The GHIC covers you until you register the S1 and so you are covered by your UK contributions either way.
Old Jan 28th 2022, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Xisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud of

Phew ! I’m more confused than ever…..
Old Jan 28th 2022, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Xisle
Phew ! I’m more confused than ever…..
I FEEL THE SAME... Confused!!!
Old Jan 28th 2022, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin

"Those people who used S1s as proof of healthcare entitlement to apply for residency under the Withdrawal Agreement are now being told that they cannot register their S1s because they have to be dated after the residency was granted.
I have naff all specific knowledge of Spain but AFAIK all EU countries are subject to the same WA principle.
And the above quote (IMHO) makes no sense because the WA is not about GRANTING residency. The WA confers the right to remain resident in the host country for a person was already exercising freedom of movement prior to the end of transition. In other words they were already resident in their host country; they did not have to apply to become resident, what they had to do was prove that they were resident. Their host country then CONFIRMS their status as resident, but their period of residency must, for them to be covered by the WA have commenced before the end of transition. If their residency began after 31.12.2020 then they are by definition not covered by the WA.
So I have no clue what the above person is going on about.

Old Jan 31st 2022, 8:44 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine if someone got all their ducks in a row including the S1 and then the date on the S1 is before the date on the padron, which is probably the date that Spain would use as the start of residency.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.