Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

MSF Frequency Controlled Clock

MSF Frequency Controlled Clock

Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:26 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default MSF Frequency Controlled Clock

I find that clocks in the house are all telling me lies with the time they show, even my watch has started to drift
So have decided to invest in a Radio Frequency Controlled clock - not that expensive, from around £20.00

The UK standard is from the MSF transmitter which operates at 60khz and to some extent follows the curvature of the earth, so isn't a line of site thing.
But not sure it can be picked up this far south considering the mountains in the way twixt UK and Granada.

Has anyone had experience in using these in the Granada Province (or other parts of Southern Spain) ??
Or have you had to use a Standard Transmission from another country ??

Thanks
Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:30 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MSF Frequency Controlled Clock

Originally Posted by Domino
I find that clocks in the house are all telling me lies with the time they show, even my watch has started to drift
So have decided to invest in a Radio Frequency Controlled clock - not that expensive, from around £20.00

The UK standard is from the MSF transmitter which operates at 60khz and to some extent follows the curvature of the earth, so isn't a line of site thing.
But not sure it can be picked up this far south considering the mountains in the way twixt UK and Granada.

Has anyone had experience in using these in the Granada Province (or other parts of Southern Spain) ??

Thanks

But doing it that way will always tell the wrong time, surely, as it is one hour behind us here in Spain.

Where can one get such a clock for Spain - so that it's always correct?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:40 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

If you use a frequency based in the UK are they not an hour behind mainland Europe? If so would that not make your clock tell the incorrect time?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:45 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Where can one get such a clock for Spain - so that it's always correct?
Amazon Spain

http://www.amazon.es/TFA-98-1091-Rel...+frqenvy+clock
Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:51 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino

Thanks
You do need to buy it in Spain as it should then have the correct frequency to give the right time. If you buy one in the UK then it will show UK time.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Lidl sell them occasionally from Germany,so they are on CET

I have a couple down here in Gib.

If the battery is a little on the low side they do amazing feats.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a couple of these clocks in the UK (Aldi specials) to bring to Spain. In Spain, one picks up the German signal but the other refuses to recognise anything other than the UK signal most of the time. But occasionally it finds the German signal and synchs with that. And occasionally the other one finds the UK signal and goes with that. So we're never sure of the real time. Which has rather defeated the whole exercise which was to have accurate (Spanish) time. You can't disable the radio synch on these clocks so we've consigned them to a drawer.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 7:40 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Back in 2003, I brought my Rugby controlled clock to Spain and found it didn´t work. Since then I´ve bought two Radio Controlled clocks here in Spain and think they´re wonderful at least twice a year as they change to the correct time automatically

Davexf
Old Feb 12th 2014, 7:59 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input guys - for those who have expressed doubt as to my knowledge of these things just re-read the carefull wording of my original post.

So it would appear that an MSF at 60khz is out of the question, which is what I thought as I cannot receive BBC on long wave (199khz) which has a similar propagation path. This must be due to the mountains of the Spanish mainland as I used to listen to BBC (lw) from up to 4 days out of Gib from the South during a radio room night shift on the haul from Cape Town...

So will have to look into this more closely as the German transmitter (DCF77 on 77khz) is surely subject to the same problems. And I have seen a clock that claims to operate at 433mhz - and really don't think that is appropriate if the transmitter is anywhere much beyond line of site.

will advise my findings
rgds
Old Feb 12th 2014, 8:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, if you only want an accurate reference time, then your PC is probably the best bet.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 8:59 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Chill out folks. What is so important that a couple of minutes makes a difference
Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:09 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Chill out folks. What is so important that a couple of minutes makes a difference
Truly amazing.

Since I came to Spain I rarely know or even care what day of the week it is.....and that's before I've had a drink.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:14 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Especially if life consists of siestas, fiestas, tapas, vino and no job.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:24 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Truly amazing.

Since I came to Spain I rarely know or even care what day of the week it is.....and that's before I've had a drink.
Careful, someone will be on to accuse you of being pissed'
Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:44 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Careful, someone will be on to accuse you of being pissed'
It's the ones that are on the wagon that are a pain in the butt, and often sanctimonious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.