MOZZIES

Old Jul 28th 2009, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

entrepinos is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy MOZZIES

You have probably covered this topic many times before and it may be an ideal opportunity to inform other new members about the dreaded mosquito. Does anyone out there have any recommendations as to acts as the best deterent?
I have tried garlic capsules and vitamin B1 tablets, which apart from repeating on me and upsetting the missus had little effect on the mozzies!
I have recently been using a jungle formula spray with DEET which gives a little relief from being bit to death but inhaling the contents will probably mean I do not make it to retirement!!!!!!!!!
Apart from staying in Yorkshire, any suggestions?
Old Jul 28th 2009, 3:29 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOZZIES

Have a wife that the mosquitoes prefer to you.

Works for me.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by entrepinos
You have probably covered this topic many times before and it may be an ideal opportunity to inform other new members about the dreaded mosquito. Does anyone out there have any recommendations as to acts as the best deterent?
I have tried garlic capsules and vitamin B1 tablets, which apart from repeating on me and upsetting the missus had little effect on the mozzies!
I have recently been using a jungle formula spray with DEET which gives a little relief from being bit to death but inhaling the contents will probably mean I do not make it to retirement!!!!!!!!!
Apart from staying in Yorkshire, any suggestions?

Well I'll certainly be watching this thread, but not for myself particularly, because one thing I'm intrigued about ref. the dreaded mozzies is they seem to prefer some folk's flesh above others. My dd was bitten alive in NW Argentina, I had a few bites. My oh gets attacked by every flying thing conceivable in S Spain, I'm pretty much immune..... am I smelly or is it the others?
We use citronella oil lamps outside, plus incense burners, in the house we put on one of those electric insecticide thingies about an hour before bedtime.
And NOT having mad Siamese cats who favour clambering up the mosquito netting therefore rendering it useless is an invaluable tip........

bil...you got there before me!
Old Jul 28th 2009, 3:32 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=mosquitoes
Old Jul 28th 2009, 3:43 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw

bil...you got there before me!

Well, my anti moz strategies are as follows;

1. screens over the windows.
2. doors firmly closed after sundown.
3. don't go out after sunset in the worst of the mozzie season.
4. bedroom patrol with swat just prior to lights out.
5 succulent wife.

I was told by someone that a very fine spray of cedar oil in water will keep them away for the night, but you have to keep repeating it, and frankly it's just too much trouble.

I do remember reading somewhere that some people excrete a chem in their sweat that is related to limberger cheese, and that's what draws them in.

Blacklights (UV lights) are supposed to be helpful.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

Do you mean indoor or outdoor? I use Sonata antimosquitos plug. Plug it in and never had anymore problems. Forget the spray, for indoors.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

I have the windows open all night but with "plug ins" switched on from dusk onwards. Never have a problem and neither do the rest of my family or guests.

Outdoors, I use a repellant with a high percentage of Deet.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 7:32 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I checked the US test results on the effectiveness of various repellents a short while ago.
Deet came out best and safest,.....however........they all have a limited period of effectiveness and even deet only lasted approx. one hour.
A mixture of eucalyptus and lemon also came out as one of the best.

If things are really bad, as where I now am in Sweden,its either a case of stay indoors,...... or cover up fully,......incl.arms and legs.....with light very loose fitting clothes,(anything thin and close fitting they often bite right through),....plus a bee-keepers hat or light mesh face screen.

Sounds a bit drastic, but many ppl.are prisoners in their own houses in some areas here in mid-summer and often the temperatures are up in the 30s and occasionally not far from that close to the Arctic where the mozzies are just as bad or even worse.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Tolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura about

i get bitten beyond belief and react badly at that - i have found that Boots own insect repellent works best for me - it comes in a grey spray can - it contains 50% deet - think they also do a lotion that you rub in - if you having breathing problems like asthma might be a better option. Both stink rally badly (i am not allowed to spray them on indoors) - but they do work - and i don't get bitten as long as i spray everywhere - would definetly recommend this - have tried lots of other supposed repellents, but this is the best i have found.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tolly
i get bitten beyond belief and react badly at that - i have found that Boots own insect repellent works best for me - it comes in a grey spray can - it contains 50% deet - think they also do a lotion that you rub in - if you having breathing problems like asthma might be a better option. Both stink rally badly (i am not allowed to spray them on indoors) - but they do work - and i don't get bitten as long as i spray everywhere - would definetly recommend this - have tried lots of other supposed repellents, but this is the best i have found.
I understand that it is the percentage of Deet that is relevant. The less Deet, the shorter the amount of time that it is effective. I was advised to get a repellant containing a minimum of 40% for a trip to Singapore.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 9:28 pm
bil
Banned

If you react badly to the bites, try a hot poultice, as hot as you can bear for several minutes.

It really does kill the itching and reduces swelling and redness in a lot of people. It does work better the sooner you apply it. I just use a folded sheet of kitchen towel wetted, and put in the microwave for about 8 seconds.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by entrepinos
...Apart from staying in Yorkshire, any suggestions?
Plant eucalyptus trees instead of pine? (Ask Rugbymatt.)
Avon's "Skin So Soft" Spray?

Originally Posted by bil
...I do remember reading somewhere that some people excrete a chem in their sweat that is related to limberger cheese, and that's what draws them in...
How unlucky!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Carol&John;7793618]Plant eucalyptus trees instead of pine? (Ask Rugbymatt.) [QUOTE]

We've got about five or six rather large eucalyptus to one side of the house (possibly slightly too close for comfort, but that's another story....) but I'm not aware of there being fewer mozzies that side than the other.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=fionamw;7793951][QUOTE=Carol&John;7793618]Plant eucalyptus trees instead of pine? (Ask Rugbymatt.)

We've got about five or six rather large eucalyptus to one side of the house (possibly slightly too close for comfort, but that's another story....) but I'm not aware of there being fewer mozzies that side than the other.
Have you counted?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 11:15 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Another thing that helps stop the itching is to stick a piece of sellotape over the bite. Not sure, but I think the theory is that the pressure stops the bite reaction from spreading. I was sceptical but I tried it recently and it really did work, the bite seemed to go away much quicker as well.
I also make up a 10% solution of ammonia and cooled boiled water to apply as soon as I am bitten, stings a bit but does help stop the itching and big red lumps.

Of course the best method is not to get bitten ...I'm still working on that one, apart from spraying chemicals which I am not that keen on I have made an outside area that I can pull mosquito curtains around. At least it means we can sit outside without being harassed by mossies.
Yvonne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.