Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Valencia (NIE)

Moving to Valencia (NIE)

Old May 9th 2012, 11:52 am
Just Joined

DominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant future
Exclamation Moving to Valencia (NIE)

Looking to move to Valencia in 2 weeks yet we are having serious problems with obtaining an NIE. As we wish to rent/work in Valencia for 1 year+ we know an NIE is obviously needed. However, after spending many hours searcing for a valid and affordable gestor we have had no such luck.

We NEED to get the NIE ASAP once we arrive in Spain as we need to start renting within a few days after landing in Valencia. Does anyone have any recommendations? The only ones we have seen are charging a high fee for a 2 weeks waiting time as well. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you.
Old May 9th 2012, 11:59 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Valencia (NIE)

Originally Posted by DominicMarc
Looking to move to Valencia in 2 weeks yet we are having serious problems with obtaining an NIE. As we wish to rent/work in Valencia for 1 year+ we know an NIE is obviously needed. However, after spending many hours searcing for a valid and affordable gestor we have had no such luck.

We NEED to get the NIE ASAP once we arrive in Spain as we need to start renting within a few days after landing in Valencia. Does anyone have any recommendations? The only ones we have seen are charging a high fee for a 2 weeks waiting time as well. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you.
We did it ourselves, a lot of waiting, but...
  • Stand in a queue at the Police station to obtain the forms (now available online)
  • Understanding enough Spanish to complete the form correctly
  • Obtaining a form 790 which you take to your Spanish bank for payment of the required police administration fees of €10.80
  • Returning to the police station and queuing a second time to present the forms and the bank receipt
  • Often having to return another day to collect your registered applications

You don't need a Gestor, really.
Old May 9th 2012, 12:01 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Will send you a P.M.
Old May 9th 2012, 12:06 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

you do it yourself - you can initially rent without a NIE anyway - even long term rentals will usually accept your passport

then you find your nearest foreigners office & go there with the completed forms (I think you can download them from the free beer thread at the top) & photocopies of the forms, your passport & I think photos now. You might as well register as resident at the same time - they'll issue a NIE too.

you might have to make an appointment to go back - different offices have slightly different ways of doing things

even if you used a gestor you still have to go to the office yourself in person - so why waste the money?

do you already have jobs to come to?

your employer would probably be able to tell you which is the nearest/most efficient office in the area

Last edited by lynnxa; May 9th 2012 at 1:48 pm.
Old May 9th 2012, 1:27 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
We did it ourselves, a lot of waiting, but...
  • Stand in a queue at the Police station to obtain the forms (now available online)
  • Understanding enough Spanish to complete the form correctly
  • Obtaining a form 790 which you take to your Spanish bank for payment of the required police administration fees of €10.80
  • Returning to the police station and queuing a second time to present the forms and the bank receipt
  • Often having to return another day to collect your registered applications

You don't need a Gestor, really.
think you will find you need to go back to the police extranjero office and get one form completed by them - they will then add the NIE number to the list.
This number has to be shown on the Form 790 otherwise the bank cannot complete the transaction as the NIE is the reference no for the transaction

When you go back with the Form 790 completed and stamped by the bank they extranjero office will issue you with the NIE documentation.

By the way - have heard that some extranjero offices are refusing to issue NIE unless you are registered with the Social Services

Old May 9th 2012, 2:37 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
think you will find you need to go back to the police extranjero office and get one form completed by them - they will then add the NIE number to the list.
This number has to be shown on the Form 790 otherwise the bank cannot complete the transaction as the NIE is the reference no for the transaction

When you go back with the Form 790 completed and stamped by the bank they extranjero office will issue you with the NIE documentation.

By the way - have heard that some extranjero offices are refusing to issue NIE unless you are registered with the Social Services

I think that might just be for the 'residencia'.

If all I want to do is to get an NIE for IHT purposes and I normally live in UK, why would I want/even be able to register with INSS?
Old May 9th 2012, 2:37 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Which sounds really daft because you cannot register at the social service office unless you have padron, N.I.E. and the good old residencia certificate. Chicken and egg once again.

Rosemary
Old May 9th 2012, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

DominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant future

Thank you all for the quick replies. We have seen many people/places stating that an NIE isn't vital right away as we can use our passport to rent a place. We will obviously then apply for an NIE once over there but it takes the heat away slightly.

Can anyone just confirm this though as we don't want to get there and get stuck aha! Thanks once again for the replies everyone!
Old May 9th 2012, 6:52 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the quick replies. We have seen many people/places stating that an NIE isn't vital right away as we can use our passport to rent a place. We will obviously then apply for an NIE once over there but it takes the heat away slightly.

Can anyone just confirm this though as we don't want to get there and get stuck aha! Thanks once again for the replies everyone!
I can absolutely confirm it

we have NIE/resident certs - been here 8.5 years

when we moved into our current house last summer the landlord was only interested in the passport..........it has a photo on it
Old May 11th 2012, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

grahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nice

In Valencia you need to go to Calle Bailen next to the railway station. Go about 11.30 as usually queues have died down a bit by then. Take two copies of the filled in form and hand them over. The wait is around 8 days ATM.
Old May 11th 2012, 2:59 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

you might want to look at this thread for the latest requirements..........

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757881
Old May 11th 2012, 3:51 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

which more or less confirms what I was saying - so I will take everyone's apologies as given
kr
Old May 11th 2012, 4:13 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

which more or less confirms what I was saying - so I will take everyone's apologies as given
kr
I think that you will find this is for the 'residencia' and NOT the NIE - very different beasties.
Old May 11th 2012, 4:15 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

kr
Originally Posted by snikpoh
I think that you will find this is for the 'residencia' and NOT the NIE - very different beasties.
eggsakerly........
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 12:26 am
Just Joined

Estpeer is an unknown quantity at this point

Good day to all.
Last month i moved to Valencia. Was away for a while and this month i decided to apply for NIE number. Prepared myself for application process by checking out various guides in a web. Then one day i went to that police station near the train station. They gave me the blank to fill in. Then i went to get cert de empadronamiento. Received that- no problem. Next time i went to the police station they told me they cannot process my NIE application because i need to show them my Spanish contract of employment which of course i dont have as i am a mariner working for NL company.
Any ideas how can i break through that vicious circle?
Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.