Reload this Page >

moving from the UK to Costa Del Sol -HELP

moving from the UK to Costa Del Sol -HELP

Old Dec 15th 2010, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

lja411 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving from the UK to Costa Del Sol -HELP

Hi,
I'm planning on moving to the Costa Del Sol in Feb. I have a 12 year son and would like to know how easy it would be to get my son into a spanish school and if it is likely that there would be any places?? If anyone has an:confused info please advise as have looked at sooooo many web sites and need advice...
Many thanks
Leila
Old Dec 16th 2010, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving from the UK to Costa Del Sol -HELP

Originally Posted by lja411
Hi,
I'm planning on moving to the Costa Del Sol in Feb. I have a 12 year son and would like to know how easy it would be to get my son into a spanish school and if it is likely that there would be any places?? If anyone has an:confused info please advise as have looked at sooooo many web sites and need advice...
Many thanks
Leila
Cant help you with the CDS but your son is at an awkward age now I think to settle and thrive in a spanish school.

The international school option may be a better bet but it costs!!!!

Good luck anyway.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 7:13 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Once you've moved here, you need to get yourself and your son an NIE number from your local National police station, you then need to sign on to the padron at your local Ayuntamiento/town hall and then ask them which school you are in the catchment area for. They will tell you and give you paperwork to fill in. You then need to go along with said paperwork, yours and your sons passport, two passport sized photos to the school and meet the headmaster/mistress. It maybe wise to take a translator with you if you're not fluent in speaking and writing

You may find that they will put your son back a year due to the language differences, but you may also find that there will be other British children in the school, altho IME they try to integrate them and encourage them to mix with Spanish,

Personally at 12 I wouldnt do it. My daughter was 11 when she went into Spanish state education and we had tears and tantrums for a year, she then went rebelious, started skipping school, smoking, refusing to do homework, to attempt to speak spanish ("I'm not learning their stupid language" still echos in my head). In the end we put her into an International school and I now have my bright, intelligent and friendly daughter back - well nearly, she can still be a stroppy, hormonal 13 year old.

Where abouts on the costa del sol are you moving to?

Jo xxx
Old Dec 16th 2010, 9:58 am
Just Joined

lja411 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou for your replys...its great of you both ... I'm not to sure yet which part but will probably be near Fuengirola, providing I can sort school etc out..x
Old Dec 17th 2010, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lja411
Hi,
Many thanks
Leila
Hi,
If you are near Fuengirola I an recommend St. Anthony’s College. It is a well known British school offering British National Curriculum, as well as Spanish ESO and Bachillerato. It has a very safe location in Las Lagunas just outside Fuengirola.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 7:51 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnyx
Hi,
If you are near Fuengirola I an recommend St. Anthony’s College. It is a well known British school offering British National Curriculum, as well as Spanish ESO and Bachillerato. It has a very safe location in Las Lagunas just outside Fuengirola.
She`s asking for a Spanish school, not an expensive Brit school.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 8:29 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

There are many international schools along the costa del sol and all should be investigated - some dont have a very good reputation!! There are good ones and bad ones. The one thing I have learnt is that international schools are not "brit" schools. My children go to "the British College" in Benalmadena and they will tell you that at least half the kids there are Spanish, the other half are made up of all sorts of nationalities. In my sons class for example there are twenty-one children, only four are British, the rest are Spanish, Danish, Norwegian, Lithuanian, Ukranian, French, Russian and Iranian and they all get on great with each other and speak a variety of different languages. The headmistress is Spanish and the lessons are taught in English and Spanish by British and Spanish teachers. (physics in Spanish is a joy when trying to help with homework lol).

Anyway, if a child is young enough and is going to be staying in Spain indefinitely then the Spanish education system is probably the way to go

Jo xxx