Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain to work in Gibraltar

Moving to Spain to work in Gibraltar

Old Feb 15th 2019, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Mileshemmings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain to work in Gibraltar

Hello! I will be moving to La Linea, Spain in the next few months and will get a job in Gibraltar.
I have a house in the UK that I need to pack and the contents of and put into storage before I can let it out.

All a but of effort but a means to an end.

i work as an accountant and will be doing the same in Gib.

Is there any advice for how to go about the relocation? I.e should I just get to Spain then sort out a job or wait for a job offer? Presumably its easier to get a job once relocated.

Also what's it like renting in Spain in terms of deposits and the processes to go through?

Thank you!
Old Feb 15th 2019, 8:35 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain to work in Gibraltar

Good luck
Old Feb 15th 2019, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mileshemmings
Hello! I will be moving to La Linea, Spain in the next few months and will get a job in Gibraltar.
I have a house in the UK that I need to pack and the contents of and put into storage before I can let it out.

Is there any advice for how to go about the relocation? I.e should I just get to Spain then sort out a job or wait for a job offer? Presumably its easier to get a job once relocated.

Also what's it like renting in Spain in terms of deposits and the processes to go through?

Thank you!
Personally I would take a short holiday in Gib and take your CV around potential employers or write and email.

With reference to living in Spain and becoming a frontier worker please read the following link and be aware that in the past there have been 12 hour queues at this frontier on direct orders from Madrid, Bexit is potentially now only 42 days away
Old Feb 15th 2019, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!
If you are looking to work in Gibraltar, you should send your CV to agencies/companies now. If you have a LinkedIn account, you'll even find that most recruiters are actively seeking candidates online and will approach you. Companies will often even pay relocation costs if you're the right candidate, so that money will be gone if you move now. There's also no guarantee you'll find a suitable job when you arrive.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Lifes_a_Beach is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you!

Hi Mileshemmings,

Whether it's best or not to relocate and then look for a job or look for a job and then move I don't know - it's true that a lot of the companies prefer that you're already over here but guess it depends on the recruiter. I was lucky and got a job here before I moved, but I think I was quite lucky with that.

Whatever you choose to do, I suggest contacting recruitment agency SRG Europe, and potentially Zestrill recruitment agencies as a starting point, if you haven't already.
For renting in La Linea, I'd suggesting looking up Easyrenting on Facebook. Luis, who runs Easyrenting, sent me a video whilst I was still in the UK, of a flat that I ended up signing for and it made the transition quite smooth. I signed for 6 months initially (obviously it depends on the landlord too as to whether that'll be possible).
Deposits wise, again, it can vary. the standard is one month deposit I think.
La Linea is a good place to start, especially if you wont have a car, as you can walk from there into Gib. However if you will have a car, you may wish to look at the surrounding areas. I can recommend Serendip Properties in La Alcaidesa. Torreguadiaro, Sotogrande, Santa Margarita (which is close to La Linea), Pueblo Nuevo, Guadiaro are all places I'd recommend looking into - if you have access to a car! La Duquesa and so on are further up the coast and popular with ex-pats.

I may have told you what you already know but hopefully that helps in some way!

Good luck

Old Feb 21st 2019, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

jonnymc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Its better to have an offer on the table so you have something to go to, otherwise you will obviously need some cash to live on.

La Linea is a bit of a dump but the centre is ok Im told its safe etc. If you share you can get a room for 300 euro a month with a months deposit and maybe 150 fee. If you want your own place its from 500 to 1000 depending on what you want. Its pretty cheap compared to UK prices, supermarkets are cheap as well.

I found my flat 10 minutes north of la linea on milanuncios.com, its the spanish gumtree. Idealista is another one. Also everything here runs off facebook groups, a couple you can look at are "Easyrenting" and "Rentals la linea" Ive heard of people get places through them.

Last edited by jonnymc; Feb 21st 2019 at 8:14 pm.