Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to spain - Valencia

Moving to spain - Valencia

Old Feb 26th 2014, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

guirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to spain - Valencia

There is a very useful rent comparison tool (comparador precios) on this site. It allows you to chose an area and by entering the rent you wish to pay you can see what is available, above and below this price. It will give you an idea anyway.

http://www.enalquiler.com/index.php/

Valencia does seem good value when compared to other major cities and of course it has the Mediterranean coast.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 1:03 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guirijohn
There is a very useful rent comparison tool (comparador precios) on this site. It allows you to chose an area and by entering the rent you wish to pay you can see what is available, above and below this price. It will give you an idea anyway.

http://www.enalquiler.com/index.php/

Valencia does seem good value when compared to other major cities and of course it has the Mediterranean coast.
I disagree, the link you've given is just to one of many rental web sites. Ah, now I see it - select "comparador precios" from menu bar.

Mmmmm why aren't my flats showing up I wonder?

Last edited by snikpoh; Feb 26th 2014 at 1:06 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Worlo24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guirijohn will check it out now
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 4:28 pm
Banned

Catalonian is a glorious beacon of lightCatalonian is a glorious beacon of lightCatalonian is a glorious beacon of lightCatalonian is a glorious beacon of lightCatalonian is a glorious beacon of lightCatalonian is a glorious beacon of lightCatalonian is a glorious beacon of lightCatalonian is a glorious beacon of lightCatalonian is a glorious beacon of lightCatalonian is a glorious beacon of lightCatalonian is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,Worlo
In response to your request for suggestions respecting attractive areas of city in which to live I nominate three for your consideration-
1.The area west of Gran Via Fernando El Catolico,between the metro stations of Turia and Angel Guimera,bounded by Calle Angel Guimera, Avenida Perez Galdos, Paseo de la Pechina and GV Fernando; comprising streets of Palleter,Erudito Orellana,Calixto 3, Gabriel Miro,San Ignacio de Loyola , Juan LLorens (last named is night club street,plus or minus.you choose)etc etc

2.The area around La Fe hospital -great feeling of space in this area and some attractive streets

3.The area around the Ciudad de la Justicia,between Avenida de la Plata and Calle Antonio Sacramento-some fine modern red-brick blocks with pleasant courtyard areas
There are attractive locations on railway lines north and south of Valencia if you are prepared to accept a short commute
I do not have current information on rents etc.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Wow thanks for the information. Gives us a good idea of where to start looking.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Worlo24
Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. Also seems to be a lot of jobs in Madrid and Seville but I imagine Madrid is comparable with the costs of other major cities like London in terms of rent?
As others have mentioned, Madrid is a lot cheaper than London, but more expensive than Valencia. You have more chance of finding work in Madrid but as a city it isn't to everyone's taste (noisy, polluted, and no outstanding architectural landmarks - no visual wow-factor) others like it because it has lots going on, friendly and open people, great street-life (terrazas, bars, etc) and there's always something to do. If you are after a slower pace of life (and less extreme weather) then Valencia probably ticks more boxes (provided you can find work)
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:29 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera
As others have mentioned, Madrid is a lot cheaper than London, but more expensive than Valencia. You have more chance of finding work in Madrid but as a city it isn't to everyone's taste (noisy, polluted, and no outstanding architectural landmarks - no visual wow-factor) others like it because it has lots going on, friendly and open people, great street-life (terrazas, bars, etc) and there's always something to do. If you are after a slower pace of life (and less extreme weather) then Valencia probably ticks more boxes (provided you can find work)
Having been into the centre of Valencia old town lately on a couple of occasions I was amazed at just how reasonable prices were compared with most other big city centres where getting ripped off is usually the order of the day.

Reputedly the best indoor market in the country, wonderful building, wonderful produce, yet just every day prices you'd see in an average town.
Noticed one bar in the centre had painted on the window, canya 40 cents, coffee with sandwich 90 cents,... can't be bad.

Also unlike quite a few city centres which look a bit dilapidated in places, Valencia is kept pretty much up to the mark despite the financial problems and there's obviously a lot of pride in the place.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Mar 4th 2014 at 10:34 am. Reason: add on
Old Mar 4th 2014, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Those prices sound just to my liking ha! Cheers for that
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Having been into the centre of Valencia old town lately on a couple of occasions I was amazed at just how reasonable prices were compared with most other big city centres where getting ripped off is usually the order of the day.

Reputedly the best indoor market in the country, wonderful building, wonderful produce, yet just every day prices you'd see in an average town.
Noticed one bar in the centre had painted on the window, canya 40 cents, coffee with sandwich 90 cents,... can't be bad.

Also unlike quite a few city centres which look a bit dilapidated in places, Valencia is kept pretty much up to the mark despite the financial problems and there's obviously a lot of pride in the place.
I agree with all of the above but would also mention the beach area that has had a lot spent on it for the America's cup and F1.Some great bars and a wonderful beach.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks johnnyone - it's getting more appealing after every post
Old Mar 5th 2014, 7:47 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

90 cents for coffee and sandwich, it seems like desperation to me.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 7:57 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

What could be in a sandwich for that price...I sure wouldn't even take a bite
Old Mar 5th 2014, 9:04 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

So I presume you two food snobs would turn your noses up at free tapas bars also.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 9:24 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

So I presume you two food snobs would turn your noses up at free tapas bars also.
What are you going on about?

I said that 90 cents for a coffee and sandwich seemed like desperation, on the part of the business, and you come back with this post and call me a snob for that?

Tapas bars are a different matter altogether, and if a man if your age can't see the difference something is amiss.

Anyway, carry on with your cheap shots, I'm off.

is there 'a finger' emotion? And if so where is it?
Old Mar 5th 2014, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

elfallero is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by me me
90 cents for coffee and sandwich, it seems like desperation to me.
No. It's true. Especially around the University areas (Tarrongers). And you can get a very decent three course meal including beer or wine for maybe 6€. These places are full. They are not desperate - there are queues to get in! The food is good too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.