Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain with two small children - help !!!

Moving to Spain with two small children - help !!!

Old Apr 21st 2006, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving to Spain with two small children - help !!!

Morning guys,

Sorry not been able to get to post....just read the replys...thanks so much.

W have now been out to Spain, stayed in lva and looked at properties in Xativa, Benigamin, Pego and Manuel. It was a very short trip for what we did.....but it gave us a taste of different places.

My husband loved the feel of Oliva, and the draw of the beautiful beaches and friendliness of the people we met.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Oliva ?

We have downloaded a Spanish course and are going to learn Spanish as we feel really ignorant excepting the Spaniards to speak English.

We are looking for a town that has a Spanish feel but have an English community so we don't miss home tooooo much.

I hate places like Benidorm but do not want to be out in the sticks away from everything either.......

Well thanks again for all your replies and we are going to look into Ontinyent but is it what we are looking for ?

Take care

Mich xxx
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:11 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie
Hi

thanks for the response.

What is ment by the down dying?
Not too bothered if its quite, kinda suites us but at the same time we would like a social life.

We only have about £100,000 to spend and would need a 3/4 bedroom house/villa, would the houses in Javea be out of our budget?

Mitzyboy kindly suggested Denia which we are going to look in to as it sounds great, have you heard any thing about this area?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michelle
£100,000 will get you an apartment in Javea/Denia - and many of them are now £200,000!

Spain isn't cheap anymore, many people now wanting to move out are getting a shock as they find they have missed the boat.

It's still a fantastic life though.

Mark
Old Apr 21st 2006, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Morning guys,

Sorry not been able to get to post....just read the replys...thanks so much.

W have now been out to Spain, stayed in lva and looked at properties in Xativa, Benigamin, Pego and Manuel. It was a very short trip for what we did.....but it gave us a taste of different places.

My husband loved the feel of Oliva, and the draw of the beautiful beaches and friendliness of the people we met.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Oliva ?

We have downloaded a Spanish course and are going to learn Spanish as we feel really ignorant excepting the Spaniards to speak English.

We are looking for a town that has a Spanish feel but have an English community so we don't miss home tooooo much.

I hate places like Benidorm but do not want to be out in the sticks away from everything either.......

Well thanks again for all your replies and we are going to look into Ontinyent but is it what we are looking for ?

Take care

Mich xxx
I like Oliva which is still Spanish and although there is a big ex pat community for sure, and many clubs providing for them, you will get the opportunity to speak Spanish. The only thing that puts me off Oliva is the N332 which runs through it and is often busy. Mitzyboy knows the area better than I do and would be better qualified to comment on that. I also like Pego but many locals have put me off (or did when I was looking to buy in the area) saying that the heat was unbearable in the summer with it being in the valley. I don't have that problem as I have a place in Denia on the Montgo side and get the mountain breezes.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

millibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by vlc
Hi Lynnxa

My main gripe was with the likes of Denia. Javea is certainly a better place to visit and not as popular with the pie and mash brigade although it is usually with the advent of the British coming over that the house prices go through the roof. I certainly wouldn't pay the asking price on the coastal properties unless you're talking about North of Gandia, but as you said all horses for courses.

I assume your girls go to school here and would hope that they are fluent in spanish!

As for the small town thing, there's 35,000 people in Ontinyent, equivalent to say Banbury in the UK, smallish maybe, but not small.

On the fish and chips front we've got a shop here on the main street so we're not craving that particular English delicacy

Thankfully Spain has the diversity to keep us all happy and with the quality of life here you certainly can't go wrong.

David.
Hi VLC,

can you tell me where this fish and chip shop is, please. Is it new? I know Ontinyent and can't place it, but would love to find it.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 2:25 pm
vlc
Just Joined

vlc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

The fish and chip shop is on the Avinguda de Daniel Gil.

Coming into town from the Nou Pont end it is about 3/4 of the way up and is opposite El Ray.

Regards

David

Originally Posted by millibug_1999
Hi VLC,

can you tell me where this fish and chip shop is, please. Is it new? I know Ontinyent and can't place it, but would love to find it.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

millibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by vlc
Hi there

The fish and chip shop is on the Avinguda de Daniel Gil.

Coming into town from the Nou Pont end it is about 3/4 of the way up and is opposite El Ray.

Regards

David
many thanks will have a look
Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:35 am
Just Joined

mervyn_plc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

How old are your children? are they at school yet?
I dont have children myself but some friends and colleagues did, they said obviously the younger they are the easier they pick up the language is.

I spent time in a town called Campillos, bought 40 minute drive to Malaga airport, (which fly from Bristol with Easyjet!) lovely little town very Spanish which adds to the charm,(i also lived by coast in Benalmadena and torremelinos for a while, these places are nice to visit but personally were not for me).

The schools in Campillos are good and they have a college which is very highly thought of aswell!

The property is cheap and is on the up! (made a nice profit from mine!) If you are interested i can find the estate agents website very helpful sorted all the documents out and does have a service where they can sort out schools etc..
Old Apr 25th 2006, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mervyn_plc
Hi

I dont have children myself but some friends and colleagues did, they said obviously the younger they are the easier they pick up the language is.

I spent time in a town called Campillos, bought 40 minute drive to Malaga airport, (which fly from Bristol with Easyjet!) lovely little town very Spanish which adds to the charm,(i also lived by coast in Benalmadena and torremelinos for a while, these places are nice to visit but personally were not for me).

The schools in Campillos are good and they have a college which is very highly thought of aswell!

The property is cheap and is on the up! (made a nice profit from mine!) If you are interested i can find the estate agents website very helpful sorted all the documents out and does have a service where they can sort out schools etc..
Oh that would be great, thanks for the info.....we are looking to move to Oliva in Valencia but have an open mind....my husband has decided he definitely wants to be in a coastal area although not a touristy place....we are going to embrace the Spanish culture and also learn the language.

Look forward to getting the info o Campillos.

Many thanks,

Michelle

The kids are 3 years old and 16 months old.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

mervyn_plc is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh that would be great, thanks for the info.....we are looking to move to Oliva in Valencia but have an open mind....my husband has decided he definitely wants to be in a coastal area although not a touristy place....we are going to embrace the Spanish culture and also learn the language.

Look forward to getting the info o Campillos.

Many thanks,

Michelle

The kids are 3 years old and 16 months old.
I have sent personal message with website details on.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 12:37 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mervyn_plc
Hi

Sounds interesting - I do like the Costa Del Sol but my knowledge says prices are not cheap and certainly are much more than say Oliva (Costa Blanca) where Mrs Eddie is most keen on.

Any idea what you can get for say £200,000?

Mark
Old Apr 26th 2006, 1:01 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCM
Sounds interesting - I do like the Costa Del Sol but my knowledge says prices are not cheap and certainly are much more than say Oliva (Costa Blanca) where Mrs Eddie is most keen on.

Mark
For EUR 200,000 in Oliva http://www.spanishselection.com/listings/l0009.html

for £200,000 in Oliva - http://www.spanishselection.com/listings/l0070.html
Old Apr 26th 2006, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Moving to Spain with two small children - help !!!

Originally Posted by GCM

Mark
Try these properties for more value for money!

www.loshildickos.com

ref AN002
ref SOS048
ref SOS033
ref RH126
ref ERG108

many more on the website.