Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain..tips/advice welcome

Moving to Spain..tips/advice welcome

Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:26 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Spain..tips/advice welcome

I have only recently discovered and joined this site and have been reading all the threads which I have found very interesting. We are moving to live in Spain, Costa Blanca/Alicante region later this year and would be grateful for any tips/advice.

Linda
Old Jun 26th 2006, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain..tips/advice welcome

Have you bought a property yet, or are you planning on having a look around??
This would narrow it down a bit
BW.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 6:26 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Have you bought a property yet, or are you planning on having a look around??
This would narrow it down a bit
BW.

We have already bought a property on an urbanisation, it should be ready in late October/early November. Went to see it earlier this month and it is all but ready, kitchen still to go in and then tidying up... so far so good. We now have to work out how to get our stuff over there with 4 cats. Thinking about hiring a van and travelling over on the ferry from Plymouth to Santander (we live in Hampshire). We think we have done our homework but are still open to any tips and advice.

Linda
Old Jun 26th 2006, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Amara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really nice

Hi there - It will definitely be cheaper to hire a van and move yourselves. We got quotes for removals ranging from 4-6 thousand pounds - mind you we are a long way South, so that might have some bearing on it. In the end we got a friend to do it for us and it was around 1500 pounds. Also you will save money on airfares for the cats which is around 400 pounds each. Also you will see lots of wonderful scenery on the way which is an added bonus. I am sure you will love living in Spain, it is a fantastic lifestyle and I love every day of my life here, as do my children, it is like being on holiday all the time. The weather, food, people and general atmosphere are all better than in the UK. You will feel less stressed, healthier and happier I am sure. Good luck and bright blessings to you. Amara xx
Old Jun 26th 2006, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Amara
Also you will save money on airfares for the cats which is around 400 pounds each.
We brought our two cats over here Gatwick/Valencia on British Airways. We were only charged £84 for both.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 6:59 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Start learning Spanish if you haven't already. You'll have a lot more fun and a lot less hassle if you can interact with the locals.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
I have only recently discovered and joined this site and have been reading all the threads which I have found very interesting. We are moving to live in Spain, Costa Blanca/Alicante region later this year and would be grateful for any tips/advice.

Linda
Which town or village are you moving to? I have an apartment in the N Costa Blanca town of Denia.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 7:25 pm
Banned

Bobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by peterbainham
Start learning Spanish if you haven't already. You'll have a lot more fun and a lot less hassle if you can interact with the locals.
Hi,
With animals you have 48 hours from the UK to Spain, nobody normaly checks but that is the Vet requirements after they have been Inoculated in the UK, but as i say France and Spain do not stick to the rules, so it is up to you how you travel.
I drive back and forward all the time from Catalunia to Edinburgh with my Westie and have never been stopped yet and that is over 7 years.
Hope this helps you
Old Jun 26th 2006, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

any hints or tips ? yeah, i wouldn´t bother

unless of course you are retired and have lots of money and no childeren to come with you, then go for it you´ll have a great time
Old Jun 26th 2006, 8:14 pm
Banned

Bobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the roughBobbydog is a jewel in the rough

We have already bought a property on an urbanisation, it should be ready in late October/early November. Went to see it earlier this month and it is all but ready, kitchen still to go in and then tidying up... so far so good. We now have to work out how to get our stuff over there with 4 cats. Thinking about hiring a van and travelling over on the ferry from Plymouth to Santander (we live in Hampshire). We think we have done our homework but are still open to any tips and advice.

Linda
Hi Lionda,
I have done the journey from Cherbourge To Portsmouth, Portsmouth to Santander it is a journey that is quite easy to take, BUT if you take your cats on a trip like Portsmouth to Cherbourge, where do you stop for a Pee stop for the cats, and will they come back, if you take them on Portsmouth to Santander they are in the Car deck for approx 30 hours, the easiest way is to Fly the cats out to Spain to arrive the day you are going to be there to recieve them, it means you have to book them onto a flight, but that should be no problem, but check because not all Airlines take animals.
Sorry i cant help you anymore than that.
If you need anymore info and i can help, please don't hesitate to PM me, there is no problems.
All the Best
Old Jun 26th 2006, 8:45 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by montgomail
Which town or village are you moving to? I have an apartment in the N Costa Blanca town of Denia.

We will be on the Castalla urbanisation, the nearby towns are Castalla, Ibi, Tibi, Onil and Alcoy. Been to Denia and was only just there a couple of weeks ago.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 8:47 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
any hints or tips ? yeah, i wouldn´t bother

unless of course you are retired and have lots of money and no childeren to come with you, then go for it you´ll have a great time
Semi-retired, no dependent children and very laid back so looking forward to the sun and the different lifestyle.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobbydog
Hi,
With animals you have 48 hours from the UK to Spain, nobody normaly checks but that is the Vet requirements after they have been Inoculated in the UK, but as i say France and Spain do not stick to the rules, so it is up to you how you travel.
I drive back and forward all the time from Catalunia to Edinburgh with my Westie and have never been stopped yet and that is over 7 years.
Hope this helps you
What route over the channel do you use. We are going back next year for a wedding and want to make more of a holiday driving back through France possibly with our Westie.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 3:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by glynis
What route over the channel do you use. We are going back next year for a wedding and want to make more of a holiday driving back through France possibly with our Westie.
Hi Glynis,
I live on the Costa Brava, so the route i take is i head for Perpignon, Tolouse,
Bordeuox, Nantes, Rennes, Cherbourge and if you can get the Fast Craft approx 2,&,3/4 Hours to Portsmouth.
Excuse the spelling but the French seem to like spelling there words the wrong way for the Brits.
I normally drive myself with my Westie, if i put the foot down i can make Cherbourge in 10 hours that is stoppng in the Parking Sites on the Pay Roads and just putting the seat back.
If you need anymore help give me a buzz if not all the best.
Ron
Old Jun 27th 2006, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Semi-retired, no dependent children and very laid back so looking forward to the sun and the different lifestyle.

good luck then

Originally Posted by bobbydog
but will they come back ?
they will because it is illegal to drive in a car with an animal without a harness on dogs and cats have to be on a lead when they get out the car.

a tip, leave the "body" of the harness on at least 3 days before the trip so that they are used to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.