Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to spain possibly?

moving to spain possibly?

Old Jul 10th 2015, 6:33 am
Just Joined

fairytaiils is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to spain possibly?

We live in the algarve in portugal but are finding it too hot and are consisering moving somewhere cooler, we thought galicia then heard about the excessive amounts of rain! Where in spain could we find cooler temps than the 40+;degree summers in the algarve? Rain is not an issue but I read galicia had dreadful winters! Where in spain is the weather kindest? Not excessive heat, not excessive rain! No winter temps below freezing? Somewhere countryside as we have horses and a farm
Old Jul 10th 2015, 7:32 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to spain possibly?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 10th 2015, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Andyfarquar is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a timely post, Fairytaiils. I'm also thinking of relocating to Spain, partly to escape the 40+ degree summer heat in the Philippines but also to be closer to my ageing mother and my siblings in the UK. My memories of Spain are of looking for shade in the unbearably hot temperatures on short break holidays in my younger years in the 'Costas'. I wonder if the Santander, Bilbao, Gijon areas in the north might be more weather - friendly? My other thought was that 'Las Canarias' might be a possibility...
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:08 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andyfarquar
This is a timely post, Fairytaiils. I'm also thinking of relocating to Spain, partly to escape the 40+ degree summer heat in the Philippines but also to be closer to my ageing mother and my siblings in the UK. My memories of Spain are of looking for shade in the unbearably hot temperatures on short break holidays in my younger years in the 'Costas'. I wonder if the Santander, Bilbao, Gijon areas in the north might be more weather - friendly? My other thought was that 'Las Canarias' might be a possibility...
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairytaiils
We live in the algarve in portugal but are finding it too hot and are consisering moving somewhere cooler, we thought galicia then heard about the excessive amounts of rain! Where in spain could we find cooler temps than the 40+;degree summers in the algarve? Rain is not an issue but I read galicia had dreadful winters! Where in spain is the weather kindest? Not excessive heat, not excessive rain! No winter temps below freezing? Somewhere countryside as we have horses and a farm
I wouldn't say it's excessive and certainly better than dying in heat You do get rain, but there can be huge differences only a few minutes away. Hilo Hawaii would see three times more rain than Lugo in Galicia. It's pretty hard to find the perfect climate, because along the coast it will be wet/windy during winter and further inland you can get frost/snow, but it can get hot during summer. We have a holiday home in the province of Girona/Costa Brava not far from Lloret and it never really gets too hot and never too cold. The average yearly temp is around 18c and in summer it never really goes above 31c. The winters can be cold, but are rarely below 8c and you still have a good amount of sun with little rain.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairytaiils
Cantabria or Basque country might suit. Today was 34C here, but we don't get temperatures like that week on week like down south.
Property can be expensive here in Bizkaia, obviously depending on where you live.
Winter is not too bad. We had snow for about 3 days here in Elorrio; some years none.
There are horses in the area that survive, depending on the breed of course.
Our average annual rainfall is around 1300mm if that's any help.
I'm desperately waiting for rain in the allotment, even though I've got water containers. Haven't had a decent downpour for the last 4 weeks.