Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain - Online Business - Autonomo

Moving to Spain - Online Business - Autonomo

Old Jun 29th 2016, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Matther987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain - Online Business - Autonomo

Hello, I've read plenty on the below topic but just looking for some advice for clarification.

I will shortly be moving to Spain (woohoo!).

I currently run an online business selling memberships. All income from this comes from Australia - members must be Australian to sign up.

When moving to Spain I'd like to carry on the online business.

I understand that as a Spanish resident I'll have to pay tax on my worldwide income (minus what I've paid to the Australian Tax Office under the double taxation treaty).

But I'm struggling with the autonomo regulations...

1) Would I be required to register as autonomo in Spain to continue running the online business?

2) What if I was also employed on a part-time basis in Spain?

3) Is it correct that if I continue to run the online business and also have another self-employed job in Spain I have to register as autonomo twice (and pay twice the fee)?

Any help and clarification much appreciated!

Thanks, Matty
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain - Online Business - Autonomo

Originally Posted by Matther987

1) Would I be required to register as autonomo in Spain to continue running the online business?

2) What if I was also employed on a part-time basis in Spain?

3) Is it correct that if I continue to run the online business and also have another self-employed job in Spain I have to register as autonomo twice (and pay twice the fee)?
Hi Matty

1) Yes
2) Then your employer would have to pay a social security contribution for you, but you still would have to continue paying the autonomo social security contribution
3) No. Here you would only have to pay one lot of social security contribution. As you are self employed you can have as many different clients or different strings to your bow as you like
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:43 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matther987
Hello, I've read plenty on the below topic but just looking for some advice for clarification.

I will shortly be moving to Spain (woohoo!).

Any help and clarification much appreciated!

Thanks, Matty
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 30th 2016, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

UKESPANA is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Matty,
I work as an autonomo-self employed in Spain for about 3 years now... I really don't think you need to register yourself as a self employed in Spain if you are paying taxes in Australia for the moment ...... At the end of the day is an online business and it can be runned from anywhere in the world. The best way to do it is going to an "gestor" and for only about 50 euros they can provide to you any legal information you need! Good luck in Spain!
Old Jul 1st 2016, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKESPANA
Hi Matty,
I work as an autonomo-self employed in Spain for about 3 years now... I really don't think you need to register yourself as a self employed in Spain if you are paying taxes in Australia for the moment
I would be very careful with this. If you are resident in Spain and working from Spain then it doesnt matter where you are paying taxes, or what country your clients are from. You must register as self employed in Spain and pay the corresponding fees
Old Jul 1st 2016, 10:10 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I would be very careful with this. If you are resident in Spain and working from Spain then it doesnt matter where you are paying taxes, or what country your clients are from. You must register as self employed in Spain and pay the corresponding fees
Plus, of course, being autonomo gives you access to the Spanish NHS.
Old Jul 1st 2016, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Matty,
I work as an autonomo-self employed in Spain for about 3 years now... I really don't think you need to register yourself as a self employed in Spain if you are paying taxes in Australia for the moment ...... At the end of the day is an online business and it can be runned from anywhere in the world. The best way to do it is going to an "gestor" and for only about 50 euros they can provide to you any legal information you need! Good luck in Spain!
That would be an extraordinary arrangement for Spain to have agreed to. If OP is living in Spain and is performing the work / running the business whilst sitting in Spain then I would expect Spain to want the first bite of the cherry in terms of income taxes.

Indeed contrary to first post, I would not expect OP to be paying any tax in Australia other than GST perhaps you don't pay income tax based on nationality of customer.

If it is an Australian incorporated business then corporation tax would be payable in Australia. But not the individual's personal income tax.
Old Jul 1st 2016, 11:57 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Matty,
Please, this advice is incorrect.

If you live in Spain, then taxes and SS payments must be made here.
Old Jul 1st 2016, 9:30 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely correct. If you live in Spain you pay tax in Spain, wherever you think you earn that income. The same rules apply in most countries.

It's very black and white and the fines for not paying what you owe are significant.