Reload this Page >

moving to spain/gibraltar

moving to spain/gibraltar

Old Jan 16th 2015, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

marknlou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to spain/gibraltar

please could anybody give us some helpful advice,
we are a family of four hoping to move to spain/Gibraltar around april time, depending on how job interviews go,
to be honest were going in to this quite blind, so don't know what to expect or in fact where to start,
we have been told its cheaper to rent in La linea, we also have a 14 year old son who would need to go to school and were not sure how to go about this.
if anyone could give us any advice on any aspect of relocating and the basic things we would need to know, please could you help.
thank you MnL
Old Jan 16th 2015, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to spain/gibraltar

Hi
Yes it is cheaper to rent in La Linea than Gibraltar.
However that would mean your 14 yr old going to a Spanish state school, very disruptive to his education at that age, or you paying for a private school
Whereas if you lived in Gibraltar his schooling would be free and Gib follows the UK curriculums. Also you say a family of four, is that another school aged child?

A link to Gib rental prices :- http://propertygibraltar.com/

My advice would be to rent in Gib first of all and then assess the situation once you are here.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 3:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marknlou
we are a family of four hoping to move to spain/Gibraltar around april time, depending on how job interviews go,
to be honest were going in to this quite blind, so don't know what to expect or in fact where to start,
we have been told its cheaper to rent in La linea, we also have a 14 year old son who would need to go to school and were not sure how to go about this.
if anyone could give us any advice on any aspect of relocating and the basic things we would need to know, please could you help.
thank you MnL
Welcome to BE.

Please read this BE Wiki article which will have the answers to many of the questions

Spain - Lifestyle : British Expat Wiki
Old Jan 16th 2015, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Welcome to BE.

Please read this BE Wiki article which will have the answers to many of the questions

Spain - Lifestyle : British Expat Wiki
mikelincs thankyou for that I was wondering where it went after the Free Beer was removed

Some of the links do need updating
Old Jan 16th 2015, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

thank you
Old Jan 16th 2015, 4:23 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

thank you MnL
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 18th 2015, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

no our other son, is 23 and he would be looking for a job, possibly in retail, as he is currently a trainee manager back in the uk, he even fancies a job in morissons any ideas on how to apply with them please.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

he even fancies a job in morissons any ideas on how to apply with them please.
All jobs in Gibraltar have to go through the ETB ( Employment and Training Board ) not the easiest people to deal with.

He would probably be better having a word with your local Morissons for advice.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been over there and seen around Gib yet?

If not, prior to renting in La Linea I suggest you go and check out the area. It's cheap for a reason.

I don't usually comment when asked for recommendations as it's a case of each to their own.

But La Linea is a hole of shite.... IMO.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Horlics
Have you been over there and seen around Gib yet?

If not, prior to renting in La Linea I suggest you go and check out the area. It's cheap for a reason.

I don't usually comment when asked for recommendations as it's a case of each to their own.

But La Linea is a hole of shite.... IMO.

One of the problems with living on the Spanish side of the frontier is that the nicer areas are further away from the frontier thereby putting up costs and travelling time.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

thank you all for the advice, were currently planning a weeks recon early feb
to try and get some answers for ourselves, our initial plan was to try and get rented accommodation in la linea and cross the border every day, as the line of work we are in probably wont pay enough to rent in gib, but any more advice would be welcome before we start our fact finding search. MnL
Old Mar 5th 2015, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

WelshNomad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

How is this shaping up for you?

It is looking highly likely I'll also be offered a job in gibraltar. Although we are a family of 5 with two of kids of primary school age (6 & 8).

We are looking at the living in spain thing simply because of getting something in Gibraltar for 5 of us would be so expensive, but that has implications on the Children's schooling.

Has anyone got experience of sending primary school age kids to schools in Spain? How did the kids cope?
Old Mar 5th 2015, 4:18 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WelshNomad
Hi,

How is this shaping up for you?

It is looking highly likely I'll also be offered a job in gibraltar. Although we are a family of 5 with two of kids of primary school age (6 & 8).

We are looking at the living in spain thing simply because of getting something in Gibraltar for 5 of us would be so expensive, but that has implications on the Children's schooling.

Has anyone got experience of sending primary school age kids to schools in Spain? How did the kids cope?
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Rosemary
Old Jun 26th 2015, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

kareniom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Did you make the move and put your kids (6 & 8) into a Spanish school? How did it go?

The tax rate is so much higher in Spain too? I imagine that to qualify for the lower tax rate of Gibraltar that you actually have to be resident in Gibraltar?

Best wishes,

Karen
Old Jun 26th 2015, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by kareniom
Hi,

Did you make the move and put your kids (6 & 8) into a Spanish school? How did it go?

The tax rate is so much higher in Spain too? I imagine that to qualify for the lower tax rate of Gibraltar that you actually have to be resident in Gibraltar?

Best wishes,

Karen

Rosemary