Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain with Children

Moving to Spain with Children

Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain with Children

Originally Posted by paulmountford
We are not dead set on Barcelona, we know a few people there and were told the job market was better. I'm an electrician and my wife works in exports for a chemical company at the moment. I think the catalan aspect worries me less than very limited job prospects we have been to Barcelona a few times and found everyone spoke spanish.
I read an article saying Malaga is a really good place to live but not sure about the job market there. We wouldn't want to rent forever obviously the higher to rent the higher to buy in terms of area.
Every place is a good place if you have the tools to make it work, so probably no different in Malaga. While rents in Barcelona are high, it's still cheap enough to buy in many areas outside Barcelona. I don't know how easy it is for electricians in Barcelona or Malaga, but there seem to be a lot of export jobs in and around Barcelona. It will also come down to which area you prefer and in terms of scenery and variety, Barcelona wins for me.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulmountford
I'm an electrician and my wife works in exports for a chemical company at the moment..
As an electrician, you will need to pass all the relevant Spanish qualifications and certifications. Legally they cannot recognise your UK qualifications, so you wont be able to sign off any job

So you need to think about that first, and then I suggest you target companies that your wife could get a job in, and then choose a city based on where you get a job offer

I came to Spain with a job. There is no need to wait until you get to Spain to start looking. All job ads are online, the first interview will be on the telephone or Skype and the second interview will require a flight to have a formal interview
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
As an electrician, you will need to pass all the relevant Spanish qualifications and certifications. Legally they cannot recognise your UK qualifications, so you wont be able to sign off any job

So you need to think about that first, and then I suggest you target companies that your wife could get a job in, and then choose a city based on where you get a job offer

I came to Spain with a job. There is no need to wait until you get to Spain to start looking. All job ads are online, the first interview will be on the telephone or Skype and the second interview will require a flight to have a formal interview
True and the big question would be why they want to move to Spain now. It would probably be easier to keep saving in the UK and use the time to get the qualifications needed for Spain.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 10:09 am
Just Joined

paulmountford is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife is applying for jobs from the UK but she's not looking for a management position so probably harder to get from outside Spain as it's probably easy to recruit those types of jobs there. I wouldn't look until I was there. Some Spanish health and safety courses are a requirement for working in construction over there. I would imagine you can work under a Spanish qualified electrician or for a big company until you gain the right qualifications but you'd command a lower rate. We want to move next summer really. #1 to arrive Bedford we leave the EU 2# if we were only there for a year or 2 our kids would still be young enough to settle in back here.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Paul, there are thousands of qualified unemployed Spanish electricians who know the 'system' so why do you think you'll get a job?
Old Aug 9th 2016, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

paulmountford is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't. That's why I'm on here looking for USEFUL information.