Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain, but where to?

Moving to Spain, but where to?

Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:43 am
Just Joined

shazroy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Spain, but where to?

we as a family are looking to move from Scotland with our 20 year old daughter. Looking to rent out and work year round if possible. My husband is a sales manager and I'm in an accounts dept, but really we are willing to turn our hands to anything. Any advice greatly appreciated
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Spain, but where to?

Realisticly there is very little work available but that is not to say you could be lucky and be in the right place at the right time, You would need to look long at hard at your finances as to what you need per month to live on and add say 20% for emergencies - car, dentist, pets etc and then bring that out with you to last for at least 12 months so your looking at about 12 -18k, if you get work bonus but do not come out with nothing unless you buy your return flight home at the same time.

Have a look at the online Brit papers (Sur in English) for job vacancies the time share companies often want sales staff but that comes with it's own set of problems like them wanting you to be self employed etc.

Spain is a lovely place to live but it is not easy by any stretch of the imagination and all best laid plans can go belly up very quickly, do your research and then do it all again there are no end of threads about people moving to Spain and lots of advice. If it is every ones dream go for it any doubts shelve it for a few years and try again when you are financially stable.

If you come to Spain I wish you every luck but it is not the rainbows end and there is not crock of gold, well not for most anyway.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

margaretmwilson will become famous soon enough

Hi we have a holiday rental in the Costa Blanca, when we first went over in 2006 for holidays the place a so busy with a plethora of bars and restaurants and a lo of British people living and working there. However, over the last 2 years with the economic downturn we have seen people having to return to the UK because the work has dried up, the bars and restaurants have closed and its pretty quiet there now. We met people who thought it would be pretty easy to get a job but alas all that was available was the building trade and bars/restaurants and it was quite low paid. I agree Spain is a great place to live but its having a tough time at the moment, like everywhere really, I do hope you are lucky and get something quickly.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shazroy
we as a family are looking to move from Scotland with our 20 year old daughter. Looking to rent out and work year round if possible. My husband is a sales manager and I'm in an accounts dept, but really we are willing to turn our hands to anything. Any advice greatly appreciated
Its not easy to find job in Spain, but not impossible.
I think you should have best opportunities on the Costa de Sol.
Marbella are on the move and so are also Mijas and Fuengirola.
But you have to be here to get a job, you will not get it from Scotland.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnyx
Its not easy to find job in Spain, but not impossible.
I think you should have best opportunities on the Costa de Sol.
Marbella are on the move and so are also Mijas and Fuengirola.
But you have to be here to get a job, you will not get it from Scotland.
Malaga had 30% unemployment in the last figures in the Sur and that is only the legal ones.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:12 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazroy
If you're not fluent in Spanish, it's going to be very hard to get a decently paid job. Would someone from Turkey who didn't speak English be able to apply for a Sales Manager job in Scotland? So, the first and most essential task you have is obviously to learn the lingo.
If either of you are graduates and fancy going into teaching, you could take the TEFL course (make sure it's the proper month course, not the weekend one) and start teaching English as a foreign language. English teachers, especially Business English teachers, are still in demand in the larger cities. After a year or two's experience in teaching English, it's quite common to get 25 or 35 Euros a hour in somewhere like Madrid giving Business English classes. Of course your idea may be to avoid the big cities of the north, but that's where the best jobs and money is to be found.

Another route is to start your own business. It's no coincidence that migrants in Spain are more likely to become autonomo (self-employed) than locals, as often there is little choice if they want to make a living. For instance, perhaps you know someone who runs an employment agency where you live. Perhaps you could act as an agent in Spain, smoothing the path for any locals who want to work in the UK. Just a suggestion - you'd have to find out the limits on finders' fees etc. Or even target British students who decide to study in Spain instead of paying exhorbitant UK tuition fees (Valencia is apparently getting a lot of interest). Another suggestion - I saw in another thread that someone was searching out a decent place to get fish n chips. I suspect this is a lot harder to get right than people realise (I've seen it done badly in too many places) but if you can attract both Spanish and Brits it may be something you can do closer to a holiday resort. OK, all these suggestions may not work out for you (for whatever reason) but if you manage to choose something that can, you'll acheive your goal. But I suspect it'll be a lot of work and be very stressful. Be careful what you wish for!

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Edit: looking at yet another thread, it seems that a second hand shop for British clients may be an option. Swoop in on those who are forced to move on (I'm afraid you'll have to have a heart of stone if wanting to get goods for a steal) and then sell them on in your shop. You'll have to work out a legal way to dump or store the absolute rubbish though!

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Mar 10th 2011 at 7:28 pm.