Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain.

Moving to Spain.

Old Feb 22nd 2019, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Cosgrove7990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain.

Hello Everyone, so I and my partner are planning on moving to Spain towards the end of the year maybe next, and I’m wondering where the majority. Of expats move to in Spain? We have 2 children so really we’d like to be in a British friendly place if that makes sense, Any help or suggestions is much appreciated, But please no negative comments etc etc.

Thank you

Steve
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain.

How old are your children, will you have to work? Members here will give honest answers some of which you may feel are negative but you have asked and we will try and help.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Cosgrove7990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bob, Thank you for your response! My children will be 2 and a half and 4 at the end of the year, my partner is a stay at home mum and I work offshore
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 10:38 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum.

Well, that's not a bad scenario. Your children will be fine in a Spanish school as there will be no readjustment for them at that age and they will be fluent in Spanish in an amazingly short time. Jobwise you obviously don't have a problem, but be aware that you will probably have to pay Spanish tax on your income.

Of course Brexit may change things a bit, but will just have to wait and see on that.

Best of luck!
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

And we can assume that you are aware that if there is a no deal then UK nationals will be treated as non EU members meaning you will need visas and quite large incomes to reside in Spain. However that said maybe you are not both UK nationals in which case no problem
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 10:44 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your research and planning.

I have noticed from past posts that a lot of offshore workers have chosen to live in Javea as this is not a bad distance from Alicante airport. You children are ideal ages for this type of move.

Rosemary
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cosgrove7990
Hi Bob, Thank you for your response! My children will be 2 and a half and 4 at the end of the year, my partner is a stay at home mum and I work offshore
Without sounding negative, what do you mean by a British friendly place? Of course every Expat will advertise their place as the best place to be, but a stay at home mum will probably want a different life than a pensioner who's living in Benidorm or Torrevieja and just because many Brits live there doesn't make it a British friendly place, or let's say a nice place.
In the future she might want to go to work again, especially when the kids are old enough for school. Then you might be better off being closer to a city that has international jobs, or let's say attracts people from all parts of the world. Most people speak English and having neighbours from all parts of the world can be even better, as you can learn from each other.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Fun in the sun is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We made a similar move with children of a similar age...

There are quite a few things you may want to consider. For us our criteria was
- Good schools, local and private
- Infrastructure (Transport links, things for the kids to do, malls, commercial parks etc...)
- Close enough to an airport
- Walking distance into a town that was busy all year round if we were not going to live in a city (this may be important if your wife does not drive)
- Fast Internet

The best thing is to visit various places and get a feel for them or take a road trip...

Places where there are a lot of British expats would be:
Costa Del Sol - Marbella / Fuengirola / Mijas etc..
Costa Blanca - Javea / Denia / Alicante etc..

There are lots of towns and villages around both of those places that might suit you.

Hope that helps
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cosgrove7990
Hello Everyone, so I and my partner are planning on moving to Spain towards the end of the year maybe next, and I’m wondering where the majority. Of expats move to in Spain? We have 2 children so really we’d like to be in a British friendly place if that makes sense, Any help or suggestions is much appreciated, But please no negative comments etc etc.

Thank you

Steve
It is all going to be fine in the end.