Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Old May 2nd 2014, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

hopeful1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain

Hi all - I am getting ready to move to Arboleas, Spain. I cannot yet speak the language, but definitely intend to learn it as quickly as possible. I will be moving there on my own and also don't know Spain at all, or their rules, laws and customs, so need all the help I can get.
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain

Originally Posted by hopeful1
Hi all - I am getting ready to move to Arboleas, Spain. I cannot yet speak the language, but definitely intend to learn it as quickly as possible. I will be moving there on my own and also don't know Spain at all, or their rules, laws and customs, so need all the help I can get.
Hi. Thats quite a wide open question..and impossible to answer without giving you links to the entire internet. Theres no easy answer really apart from a lot of reading up. Maybe do a bit of background general Googling first. Then if you get stuck, pop a question here and Im sure you'll get a few responses from the helpful people here. For instance a quick Google shows the region has its own English language website with local news and a forum. So that might be a good place to start. To move somewhere on your own without knowing the language is a big step. I wish you all the best! Mike
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:47 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

First thing to tell us, so we can help, is do you have/need a job to have enough money to live on, if the answer is YES, and you do not have a job to go to, then you are going to struggle, big time. Unemployment in Spain is much worse than it is in the UK, and the benefit system just isn't there unless you have worked, legally, in the system. If you are NOT fluent in the language it will be even more difficult.
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

hopeful1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, I will take your advise. I will not be working as I was made redundant 2 years ago and have not been able to find work. Not easy at my age. I will be 59 on Monday. We were finding it difficult financially in the UK, so I thought it would be cheaper for me to live in Spain. My husband will continue to work in the UK and move into a bedsit and send me money when he can, as he only works in a call centre.
Old May 2nd 2014, 2:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, I will take your advise. I will not be working as I was made redundant 2 years ago and have not been able to find work. Not easy at my age. I will be 59 on Monday. We were finding it difficult financially in the UK, so I thought it would be cheaper for me to live in Spain. My husband will continue to work in the UK and move into a bedsit and send me money when he can, as he only works in a call centre.
It isn't cheaper to live in Spain, not now. Utilities are at least as expensive as the UK, you would need to have private health insurance as you would NOT qualify for the Spanish Healthcare system, there is noo such thing as housing benefit or council tax benefit, so you would be paying the full amount for rental and their council tax. Unless you have a lot of savings that you can afford to lose, then I would stay just where you are in the UK, where you do have access to the benefits system, and a free NHS. If the two of you are struggling in the UK, then you will certainly be a lot worse off trying to keep two places going.
My own opinion would be to forget the idea and stay in the UK, you will gain nothing, certainly in cost of living, and without knowing the language you are going to suffer when you come face to face with officialdom.
Old May 2nd 2014, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 2nd 2014, 2:26 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

my initial response is - Don't bother jumping from the frying pan to the fire.
you are only paying one set of expenses for 2, such a move with increase that by approx 50% or greater. If money is tight then it would be better to battle your way out of the problems rather than making things worse and moving out here when things are better for you and for Spain where jobs are rare for the Spanish and like hens teeth for the Brits living in Andalucia.

however, there are a number of empty properties in the Arboleas area, in most cases illegal build, which may be up for rent, just google for local estate agents - there are a number in the Albox area that are owned/run by Brits.

for an absolute beginner you need to come out for "feeler visits" to see if you like the area, like the people. I do know that there is a Bingo night every Thursday in the Hostel Meson in Arboleas www.hotelarboleas.com.
I have stayed there, the food is good, the staff can speak some English and if you are staying then the rooms are clean and tidy and not noisy.

You will find there are alot of Brits in that area, retired and summering, so the language will not be too much of a problem. IME many places have English and at times it can seem like England in the sun.

no I don't live there, too many illegal properties and I wanted to buy and its alot of money to spend on a plot of land with a few bricks.
But good luck to you

`
Old May 2nd 2014, 2:43 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 2nd 2014, 2:55 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that you will need to do is prove that you either have a suitable monthly income or sufficient funds in a Spanish bank to show that you are financially alright to live here. If you are not working, not a pensioner and husband only able to send you money when he can how will you pay the rent and utilities? Life here costwise is on a par to the UK, some things are cheaper whilst others are more expensive, it all very much depends on your lifestyle.

Sorry that you are gaining such negative responses but like the others have said it is not easy or cheap here. Personally I love living here and I am happy with my lifestyle but from what you have said so far I do not feel that Spain will be successful for you due to the financial situation that you are in.

Good luck with your research.

Rosemary
Old May 2nd 2014, 4:02 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hopeful, and welcome.

Firstly I hope that you find what you are looking for. I have lived in Spain for five years with my 2 children. Most of the time we are alone as my husband works away, and I am very lonely here. I work full time as a teacher in an international school and when i am not working I am with my children. One thing I would say is that it is really quite expensive to live here. Phone and electricity are especially costly and the internet is appalling. It only works when there are not many people online.
At the minute I am actually considering moving back to the UK because living here is such a chore. The buracracy is unneccesarily complicated and it gets very frustrating. That is just my experience. That is the point of this forum, to give you everyone's perspective. I hope you get many replies as a well rounded view of living in Spain.

Good luck,
Nic
Old May 2nd 2014, 4:28 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Hi hopeful 1,

Welcome and happy birthday for Monday.

Lots of paperwork, paperwork, and more paperwork.

As Rosemary has pointed out you will have to show sufficient income to the authorities, as there are new rules.

As for laws and customs, I suppose they are more or less the same as the UK.

One thing about your post, is that you will be alone when you come to Spain.

That is fine when you are single/used to living alone, but I see you have a partner and so the biggest change I can see for you, is that you will suddenly be thrown into being a sort of singleton.

I think that may be the hardest aspect of moving.

It is fine to be apart, some forces wives spend months on end alone, and have to get used to it, but at your age it will be different, and loneliness can be a terrible thing.

Also the financial aspect sounds like it's going to be a struggle, for both of you.

It is not a great life for you partner, living in a bedsit, working in a call centre, and sending his spare money out to you.

Your expenses will be more.

And what is the ultimate goal of the exercise?
Old May 2nd 2014, 5:10 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on.... what's happened last week it was dirt cheap and some were (almost) called a liar.

I am a bit bemused what sort of a man would move into a bed sitter and work in a call centre whilst his partner is living the (allegedly ) good life
Old May 2nd 2014, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Londonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud of

is today april the first?
Old May 2nd 2014, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Londonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Hang on.... what's happened last week it was dirt cheap and some were (almost) called a liar.

I am a bit bemused what sort of a man would move into a bed sitter and work in a call centre whilst his partner is living the (allegedly ) good life
that must be real love
Old May 2nd 2014, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

anyway if this is real i think south of spain meant to be cheap or i would actually look into thailand or vietnam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.