Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

madlass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain

My husband and 3 daughters are planning to move to Spain as soon as we sell our home in the UK.
After visiting some of the other countries pages and seen all the positive offers of encouragement and help and then to come on to the Spain one and when there are posts about people moving to Spain (some of the posts are very positive) some of the posts here only seem to discourage. Why is that?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain

I would guess that most people are wanting to relocate and make a living by finding some kind of a job. Fact is there are ( virtually) no jobs.
It is unfair to raise false hopes.
Pete
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madlass
My husband and 3 daughters are planning to move to Spain as soon as we sell our home in the UK.
After visiting some of the other countries pages and seen all the positive offers of encouragement and help and then to come on to the Spain one and when there are posts about people moving to Spain (some of the posts are very positive) some of the posts here only seem to discourage. Why is that?
I think the discouraging posts apply mainly to people who would be intending to look for a job or start a business when they move to Spain, and the negativity relates to the fact that Spain is in deep economic crisis with unemployment over 30% in some of the areas most popular with British people (eg Andalucia), and over 50% in the case of people aged 16-25 - which is relevant if people are moving here with teenage children as their prospects will be severely limited.

Those of us who have been living here for the past few years (6 in my case) will have all seen British couples and families have to return to the UK since the recession began, some of them in dire financial circumstances, and don't think it would be helpful to encourage others to come at this time.

However, if people have established businesses that can be run from anywhere; can commute to the UK or elsewhere for work; are retired and in receipt of pensions; or early retired with enough resources to support themselves, then it's a different story. I'm in the last category (early retired) and I'm very happy here. I'm always happy to see questions from people in any of these circumstances who are thinking of moving to Spain, because it offers a great quality of life. Not perfect, nowhere is!
Old Oct 25th 2012, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Spain

Thats a good point but many expats who have survived the last few years in Spain have probably experienced what we ourselves have. Before A Place in the Sun and the EEC when work permits and visas were necessary there were a few people who came to Spain to work or retire. Then there was an influx of people in the 80s who came with their families to live and work. This has continued. Most have the same dream but the harsh reality is very different.
A few stayed but most went back to the UK...reasons: childrens education, work, the need to see and be with family in the UK, money, accommodation and pressure on the relationship.
The problem about bringing children to Spain in itself is a that however well they learn Spanish they seldom feel Spanish and they loose their cultural roots. It's a tough choice to make on their behalf and most go back.
Sorry but for those of us who have seen it time and time again we have become cynical as there are only so many bright business ideas and new bars and restaurants that can be successful.
In our experience more than half the people we know have gone back and thats probably the same for most of the forum writers.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 7:20 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

As the others are saying, it isn't negativity and it isnt discouragement because this is our little pot of gold at the bottom of the rainbow. More that we are trying to tell the truth rather than have people sell up and move here to find the problems are insurmountable and go running home.

I believe many people over the past 20-30 years have come here because it has been seen as a place you can just pop into like a pub or cafe and everything will be fine. But they were unrealistic and found there werent the benefits and support networks of the UK.
But even though a major part of the EU with some preferential treatment, it isnt that simple. It is a foreign country and they have their own rules and regs they have spent centuries building up (the same as the UK)

Many people have come to BE Spain wanting to just pack a bag and catch a plane, thinking they can just walk into a job, or failing that work in a bar or even pay petty cash to buy one. Life isnt like that in any country.

All I would say to you is - how would you make the move, live, work, converse, play and learn if you went to another country that is on the BE country list. Some English is the main language but others it is second or even third and you may well spend all your time in an Expat Enclave. Read the Italy thread about the problems of living there.
It seems to make good press to write about the number of people returning from Spain - but similar numbers return from Oz!.

There is one hell of a lot of knowledge and experience available here at BE Spain, gained over many years - much of it is in the back file of the site.
But England with sun it isnt - Right now it has been raining almost continuously for 2 days, the temp is around 12c and it is only going to get worse.

I wish you well and look forward to you returning to discuss the options with those nice people at BE Spain.
kind regards
Old Oct 25th 2012, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Just believe the positive posts, the one's that tell you what you want to hear, and ignore all the negativity. Your post is unfortunately no different to many others that come here seeking advice, the replies are not what they want to hear. People offer the advice to hopefully save you making the same expensive mistake as thousands of others that have headed back to UK. If you have no kids, don't need a job, have plenty of money, it could well work, otherwise it'll be an uphill struggle. But you're free to ignore all the advice, it's is only that, advice.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 8:13 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Also now Spain has become very strict with its residencia requirements. You must prove an income and healthcare provision before you can become an official resident.

It is a harsh country and the days of "living the dream" are over. I guess the negativity is simply making sure folks realise that. But it is nice when folk have an independent income, no commitments and move over, they at least will spend in Spain and help the faltering economy a bit.

Jo xxx
Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

madlass is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all your comments, and I appreciate all your feedback. Money is not so much of an object, just really wanted some other types of advice if necessary.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about

Good luck with the move, where abouts in Spain will you be moving to ?

We have been here 9 years, our kids were 4 and 8 they picked up the Spanish well at school, but I am ashamed to say I still struggle a bit !

One thing we didn't realise was that in the area where we moved to ( inland of Alicante ) was that in school the kids are taught in Valenciano as well as Spanish.

Cheers Tony
Old Oct 25th 2012, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Sir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond repute

No jobs,no future,no confidence,very little help if you are in trouble here,minefield of paperwork,severe cutbacks,inflation,prices going up,cuts in all services,health,generic medicines prescriptions,corruption on a large scale,robberies,break ins,poor support and very long waiting lists for medical treatment on the spanish social security system,people begging for food,raiding wheelie bins in the town centres and supermarkets because they have lost their jobs and their home(middle class people!),it very sad to see,plus many suicides now.

Spain is a lovely country,people are very welcoming,BUT,a lot has changed here since the economic crisis,i came here 2006 it was ok then but now,forget it unless you have pots of money and are finacially independant,reality hurts,but that the way it is.

If you have done your homework and research which you MUST do its a no brainer coming to spain to live,people expats are flooding back to the uk a lot cannot sell their homes,or if they can losing 50-60% loss,so either the banks are repossesing their homes or they are just locking up their villas going back uk.also from france,so you now have the answer to your question (why people are discouraging you!).

Unfortunately its not anymore just about SUN,SEA,BLUE SKIES & SANGRIA,unless you are well off!

paris
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:52 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi madlass,

you say you are planning to move; why to Spain? what do you want from life? What are you hoping to get here that is better than the UK? It can work - BUT you need to be clear on your objectives and methodology.

I enjoy my life here - and have done so for nearly ten years; but my lifestyle is nowhere near what I predicted it would be. It has worked for me, or I have made it work for me more realistically.

Davexf
Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

mogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud of

we are planning a move to Spain end of 2013. and in our mid fifties, however I will be in receipt of a NHS pension plus we will have rental income, and a minimum of 2/3 years full funding in the bank, including private healthcare cover and we will own our own home.

we are moving because we wish to experience something different while we can, and anticipate that it is not going to be easy. But we have done our sums and still know we Will have got it wrong However if we had children, had to seek work, pay rent/mortgage etc i would not leave the UK for Spain. I suppose what I am saying is, even with our financial status IE fairly independent - not rich - but in a more fortunate position than some - we are still taking a risk but we are are taking that risk as fully informed as we can be and accepting of any outcomes . As an aside we are also taking Spanish lessons, I am studying for exams in Spanish.

Having said all of that if you can realise your dreams, having accepted all the associated risks then who am I to give advice, as i like you am still in the UK
best wishes

Last edited by mogsmum; Oct 26th 2012 at 5:58 am. Reason: stupid
Old Oct 26th 2012, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mogsmum
we are planning a move to Spain end of 2013. and in our mid fifties, however I will be in receipt of a NHS pension plus we will have rental income, and a minimum of 2/3 years full funding in the bank, including private healthcare cover and we will own our own home.

we are moving because we wish to experience something different while we can, and anticipate that it is not going to be easy. But we have done our sums and still know we Will have got it wrong However if we had children, had to seek work, pay rent/mortgage etc i would not leave the UK for Spain. I suppose what I am saying is, even with our financial status IE fairly independent - not rich - but in a more fortunate position than some - we are still taking a risk but we are are taking that risk as fully informed as we can be and accepting of any outcomes . As an aside we are also taking Spanish lessons, I am studying for exams in Spanish.

Having said all of that if you can realise your dreams, having accepted all the associated risks then who am I to give advice, as i like you am still in the UK
best wishes

Good luck with the move.

You are right, it is better to try something ( even if it dose not work out )
than live the rest of your life thinking what if ?

Some good things I can think of about spain are

1 SUN
2 BLUE SKY
3 CHEEP BOOZE
4 CHEEP PROPERTY ( you can own a detached house with a pool and land for less than the price of a semi in the uk )

Tony
Old Oct 26th 2012, 6:50 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony
Good luck with the move.

You are right, it is better to try something ( even if it dose not work out )
than live the rest of your life thinking what if ?

Some good things I can think of about spain are

1 SUN
2 BLUE SKY
3 CHEEP BOOZE
4 CHEEP PROPERTY ( you can own a detached house with a pool and land for less than the price of a semi in the uk )

Tony
To some extent I agree with both of you, you have to be prepared. Its no use planning such a big life changing event the same way as you would a week's holiday to Bournemouth.
OK if you are 20, want the life of a beach bum with nothing but a change of clothes and a surfboard, but bringing out young children whose lives could be irreparably damaged to the uncertainty, the potential massive rows tween husband and wife and possibility of divorce over this is not on.

However, Tony, considering I have a nice 3 bed semi on the edge of East Anglia/East Midlands which is now being rented out due to IMO the stupid price I was offered for it, £100k, exactly where are all these cheap detached houses with a pool and land for less than the price of a semi in the uk??

In our current search have found some very nice places, but always there is negative side heavily outweighing the positives.
One (English) couple tried to sell us their house on the side of a hill for a profit on what they bought it for 5 years ago (hearsay evidence indicates they have been trying to sell it since they bought it) and wouldnt drop the price.
Another (English) couple told us they wanted €200k for their (very nice) place when it is being advertised by a Spanish agent for €175k.

But we do have a tight spec, certain needs, including location and I suppose it is our fault........
Old Oct 26th 2012, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

....But if you're not obsessed with the weather and cheap drink doesn't bother you, it doesn't have a lot going for it at the moment does it??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.