Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to spain!!!!

moving to spain!!!!

Old Sep 13th 2012, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

mogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud of
Default Re: moving to spain!!!!

i have to say that

a. don't live in Spain

b want to

We are considering a move. however we are retiring early will have a small pension income and small income from a rental property either in spain or the uk undecided as of yet. 18 months rough funding in bank

However I would not even contemplate moving to spain at this time let alone open a bar, or trying to seek full time work. Any one in europe with a job at the moment should grasp it and keep it

I wish you well, only you know what you are willing to risk.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

You will be making a big gamble, and you know what they say about gambling.
"Only gamble what you can afford to lose"
Pete
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:47 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you have had lots of experience in bar work and understand the spanish language, rules and regulations, you stand a small chance of just about scraping by. It wont be easy or relaxing, but it will be a challenge and you'll work harder and live on your nerves like you never have before. Not for the feint hearted tho!!!

jo xxx
Old Sep 14th 2012, 7:42 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

We had been coming to the Canary Isles for 10 years for holidays and we made up our minds to come here to live.. we came on a 2 week holiday and used the time looking for somewere cheap to live.. we gave ourselves 3 months to see if we were homesick... that was 4 years ago never been homesick yet..As everyone else says come for a month and then deside.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 1:56 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
We had been coming to the Canary Isles for 10 years for holidays and we made up our minds to come here to live.. we came on a 2 week holiday and used the time looking for somewere cheap to live.. we gave ourselves 3 months to see if we were homesick... that was 4 years ago never been homesick yet..As everyone else says come for a month and then deside.
I left UK last December and find I don't miss anything
Although the BH is going back for a couple of days for her grand daughter's birthday I have no plans for this year and am really not that fussed about going back for only a couple of days next year.

I have all that I want right here, the right person, the right place - although we are looking at some fine tuning on that.

perhaps it should be "come for a month and never go back"
Old Sep 14th 2012, 3:49 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I left UK last December and find I don't miss anything
Although the BH is going back for a couple of days for her grand daughter's birthday I have no plans for this year and am really not that fussed about going back for only a couple of days next year.

I have all that I want right here, the right person, the right place - although we are looking at some fine tuning on that.

perhaps it should be "come for a month and never go back"
we came for a year........... 9 years ago
Old Sep 14th 2012, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait until July 2013 when I make the same move. Comparing the UK and Spain, with the "sweet " Scottish rain pouring down outside and the midgies biting me to death whenever I go outside the front door, I can't see me having second thoughts.
Pete.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

We came on a one way ticket five years ago, we have no intention of going back, we have no regrets about the move and we miss nothing at all.
Now that my mother sadly passed away earlier this year we won't even be going back on visits, friends can visit us here... something they seem to enjoy doing.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

joannebrown1960 is an unknown quantity at this point

is Spain (costa del sol) really that bad to live we are moving out there in January to live getting nervous now because everyones saying its that bad is it still bad if you have money
Old Sep 14th 2012, 8:46 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joannebrown1960
is Spain (costa del sol) really that bad to live we are moving out there in January to live getting nervous now because everyones saying its that bad is it still bad if you have money
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

No it is not bad if you have money. It is terrible if you are needing to work as the unemployment is very high.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 14th 2012, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much Rosemary
Old Sep 14th 2012, 10:20 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

If you have money and/or an income then its great. I loved it there, we only returned to the UK cos my husband was fed up with commuting and my chidlren were nearing school leaving age and theres nothing there for teenagers work wise. But apart from that its lovely. You'll need to prove your income and healthcare provision to enable you to become residents tho

Jo xxx
Old Sep 14th 2012, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

It's only bad for those seeking work, if you have a pension or private income it's a wonderful place to live.
We both have a government pension and private pensions and live very comfortably without having to touch mine at all, something that wouldn't be possible in England.

So I would say if you have the money then go for it, if not then stay where you are as there is no state aid here even for the Spanish when things go wrong!
Old Sep 15th 2012, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for your replies we wont know till we try looking forward to moving just looking for the right apartment and who to trust is it better to go with owners direct or through an agent
Old Sep 15th 2012, 5:40 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your replies we wont know till we try looking forward to moving just looking for the right apartment and who to trust is it better to go with owners direct or through an agent
Going to the owner cuts out the middle man and saves you money..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.