Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to spain

moving to spain

Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

850antony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to spain

hi me and my wife have been thinking about moving to spain for a few years now,we have 2 children age 10 and 2, i am in the construction industry and just wondering if there is much work out there for this trade? we have a mortgage here in uk so we would be looking to rent out our property in the uk and maybe just rent for a while in spain see how it gos, any help at all is much appreciated.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to spain

If you are looking for work in the construction industry, I say forget it for a few years, you've picked the worst time possible.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

yea just wat i thought not sure where in spain we got in mind yet realy but is there any other work around at the min,or any other info appreciated
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:40 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 850antony
yea just wat i thought not sure where in spain we got in mind yet realy but is there any other work around at the min,or any other info appreciated
Hiya, you'll need to be a bit specific about what kind of work. Theres a recession here as well as the Uk at the moment, things is tough!

Also a 10 year old, you are probably going to have to put her in a private school, bad age to put her into a state school unless she speaks spanish
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

im realy willing to do anything to pay the bills,just want to get out there
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

im realy willing to do anything to pay the bills,just want to get out there
With respect mate, that aint really a plan
People have come here with much better plans than that and failed

Construction industry is on its knees
Bar work is seasonal
Unemployment is very high

Do you know anyone over here who might help? What skills do you have?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

i understand,dont know anyone over there,as i say im in construction so got various tickets for plant and machinery,also lots of road works and building,im also doing a plumbing course,but dont knoe if any those i can use or are recognised in spain?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

i understand,dont know anyone over there,as i say im in construction so got various tickets for plant and machinery,also lots of road works and building,im also doing a plumbing course,but dont knoe if any those i can use or are recognised in spain?
Hi and welcome to the forum, this advice is going to be bad news but honest,
None of your tickets are worth jack over here because they are not in Spanish.
Building work, non existent, the Spanish builders are picking fruit.
Please think long and hard about your children, don't bring them to an uncertain future just because it's your dream.
If you have enough money to keep you for a year (£15,000) give ita go.

Sorry to sound negative but i am trying to be realistic, people come over here expecting it to be the promised land and that isn't the case.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:12 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busters mum
Hi and welcome to the forum, this advice is going to be bad news but honest,
None of your tickets are worth jack over here because they are not in Spanish.
Building work, non existent, the Spanish builders are picking fruit.
Please think long and hard about your children, don't bring them to an uncertain future just because it's your dream.
If you have enough money to keep you for a year (£15,000) give ita go.

Sorry to sound negative but i am trying to be realistic, people come over here expecting it to be the promised land and that isn't the case.
then add on the school fees for the 10 year old - 5k+
Old Sep 7th 2009, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busters mum
It is negative, but that's the way it is, you'd be doing nobody any favours advising them to come on out, it's great. It's often not the advice people wanted to hear, and so they'll ignore it anyway and give it a go. Construction is probably one of the hardest hit industries, and with a million properties unsold,(more than the USA has!) I can't see it picking up for some time. Even if there were a job, you could forget all about the wages you are used to earning, there are South Americans, Eastern Europeans etc all willing to work for next to nothing. Also agree re the kids, spare a thought for them, it can be quite a culture shock. Some adapt very easily, others can be very unhappy.