Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

nitnlin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain

My partner and I are thinking of moving to Spain (Costa Blanca region) next year but are concerned about the cost of living.

We should have about £950 per month to live on - this needs to cover the two of us.

We will be able to purchase outright our house so we won't have any rental or mortgage costs.

We know that we will be a living a modest life but as long as we can pay the bills and live fairly comfortably we shall be happy.

Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Spain

Doesnt sound a lot to live on and pay for stuff like fuel and taxes etc. Even without rent or mortgage.

Anyway, welcome to BE.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nitnlin
My partner and I are thinking of moving to Spain (Costa Blanca region) next year but are concerned about the cost of living.

We should have about £950 per month to live on - this needs to cover the two of us.

We will be able to purchase outright our house so we won't have any rental or mortgage costs.

We know that we will be a living a modest life but as long as we can pay the bills and live fairly comfortably we shall be happy.

You will survive,just ! ,renting an apartment or cortijo is from 500 euro pm, weekly shopping from 80 euro, best to buy a scooter and rent a car when needed
You will have to forget mid to top end resturants and branded clothes!!
But good luck anyway,

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:28 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get by on that if you are very careful ...... if you'd asked me a year ago I would have said no problem, but you'll be 200 odd euros shorter than you would have been then down to the r/ex. Do you have a bit spare for emergencies?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

> we won't have any rental or mortgage costs.

I'd say in that case £950 per month would be quite comfortable, provided you don't have any expensive habits - or dependants. You will have to consider the permanent costs, such as healthcare, taxes and so on. Given you won't be working, your biggest challenge might be finding things to do to occupy your time.
Good luck
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l

, your biggest challenge might be finding things to do to occupy your time.
Good luck
Its not a problem ....... trust me!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l

I'd say in that case £950 per month would be quite comfortable, provided you don't have any expensive habits - or dependants. You will have to consider the permanent costs, such as healthcare, taxes and so on. Given you won't be working, your biggest challenge might be finding things to do to occupy your time.
Good luck
You may get so bored/boring you start posting regulary on this forum!!

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Its not a problem ....... trust me!

Aye just dont go out in the rain and try to sweep the pool.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:40 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by El Capitan
Aye just dont go out in the rain and try to sweep the pool.
Ahhh yes, but your warning was too late and I now walk with a limp
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I now walk with a limp
Thats not a very nice way to refer to your wife after all these years when she walks out with you
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:00 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a good monthly wage in spain.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:23 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Hello nitnlin and welcome to the forum.
One thing that most brits do not put into their budget before landing on Spanish soil is fuel. The fact is here in Spain you have to Travel much further by car to get to any Large Supermarket or large Town for those late night chocs or champoo than you did back in the UK. We spend about 300-350 euros a month on fuel.I use a vespa scooter to pop to the baker etc...... Notice there rotor I used a brand name I could just have mentioned scooter but hey ho. The cost of fuel has risen rather steeply as we all know but as your staying in. I suppose my fuel observations are rather pointless so I bid you a very good morning.

Last edited by poshnbucks; Jul 14th 2008 at 11:27 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
The fact is here in Spain you have to Travel much further by car to get to any Large Supermarket or large Town for those late night chocs or champoo than you did back in the UK.
Surely that depends on where you choose to live?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rachelk
Surely that depends on where you choose to live?
You could rent a house next to a shopping mallno need for an avispa then!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

00glenn is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you will do just fine on £950 per month, as long that £950 isn't coming from rental income from the UK because if you have trouble with tenants back in the UK you money would just stop over night and it could take you 3 months to kick them out.

Long term tenants are starting to hagel for better prices now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.