Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Old Sep 20th 2007, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

ambers_lil_sis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain

Hi all,

I have read about people with familys and better lifes you all want, and shall get, my concern is being 24 single and unable to speak Spanish.

Is there anything I should worry about, look forward to and how easy is it to find work ??

any answers would be a great help
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Moving to Spain

guessing no-one knows
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ambers_lil_sis
Hi all,

I have read about people with familys and better lifes you all want, and shall get, my concern is being 24 single and unable to speak Spanish.

Is there anything I should worry about, look forward to and how easy is it to find work ??

any answers would be a great help
Read through some of the other threads, finding work comes up about once a day. ;-))

People may answer if they knew a few facts about you.
What can you do ?
Do you speak Spanish ?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

I work in an opticians back here, I have worked there for nearly 6 years now, I don't speak spanish at all.

How is they best way for me to make a social life having no mates there means I can not go out.

just wondering for people who do not have a "family" of there own only parents and sisters family how easy will it be for me have a life other than what I have with them
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

I work in an opticians back here, I have worked there for nearly 6 years now, I don't speak spanish at all.

How is they best way for me to make a social life having no mates there means I can not go out.

just wondering for people who do not have a "family" of there own only parents and sisters family how easy will it be for me have a life other than what I have with them
Well I'm in Spain on my own and would say your ability to make friends will be totally dependent on how forward and approachable you are. If you go to an area where there are already some Brits, you could make friends with the local british population and then make Spanish friends when you pick the lingo up. Of course, If you never go out you aren't going to meet people

Also, eating out or going to a bar on your own is quite common in Spain. My landlady explained that it's quite common for people to eat on their own. Don't feel you will look like a loner or anything, it's the done thing.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

See thats my worry I don't want to be flying home on the weekend to go and see all my mates or even giving up on the better life because I have no mates and only sit in the house.

That helps to know people go out alone.

What about clubs or hobbies, guessing most of these are in Spainish
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

oh I know the other thing I wanted to know, gigs, I go to alot of music gigs and shall be heading to England next yr to re-attend a festival for the 3 yr.

Do alot of bands play in Spain or will I loose that part of my life ?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Joe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud of

To be honest nobody on here can say whether you'll make friends, find work and so on. It's down to you at the end of the day - just as it is in the UK.

Why not spend a few weeks with your family on holiday to see if it's for you before moving out? Try before you buy so to speak. You can look into jobs, etc., then.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

ummm because if the house gets sold I will have no house to live at anyway !
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Anyway I am gonna give it a go I don't just wanna end up in my job forever and not moving out, I know I will have to work at it and days I am really looking forward to it others I get scared, scared I will be in a warmer nice country with no-where to go and nothing to do
Old Sep 21st 2007, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

lynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the rough

Anyway I am gonna give it a go I don't just wanna end up in my job forever and not moving out, I know I will have to work at it and days I am really looking forward to it others I get scared, scared I will be in a warmer nice country with no-where to go and nothing to do
Hi
It really depends on where you plan on settling. If its in a big resort with lots of expats then making friends will be easy enough. You just got to get out there and mingle.
If you go to live in a spanish town or village then there may be less expats but then again you may make some spanish friends and will help you pick the lingu up quicker.
Depending on any hobbies you have you may find some clubs to join.
Your young and should just go for it. If it doesnt work out then at least you tried!!!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:08 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Where in Hampshire are you? We are from Hampshire.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Tadley in hampshire, it's just down the road from Basingstoke.

Maybe this is just my nervs and the doubts I am getting I do not have kids to worry about
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

A lot will depend on where in Spain you move to. If you're young and single it would be a good idea to move to a city with a large university. A large student population means a better night life - many towns on the coast cater mainly for tourists. That can be frustrating. No sooner do you start to get to know people and they're off home. Students, on the whole also speak English and will be very willing to exchange language skills. They improve their English, you get to learn basic Spanish.

There are plenty of young, single ex-pats in Spain. Even second generation ex-pats. However, for a very healthy social life you will have to learn Spanish a.s.a.p.

I live very happily as a single person in Spain. Huge social network of a diverse background. I'm not that young these days, but find that I spend time with people of all ages. The age problem doesn't exist in Spain - people mix with all ages. It's very healthy. It's also very common to meet a complete stranger on the street and get invited to share a coffee or, a meal.

Provided you make the effort to get out and mix it you will very quickly make friends and start to learn the language.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Wow ! thats good to know, I am like I said moving with my family, amberandjason, Amber is my sister, in total there is 10 of us going together and Gandia is where we are heading to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.