Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to spain

moving to spain

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

padgate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to spain

Recently i have heard on radio news that the hostility towards the British is rising in Spain, due to the amount of us that are buying and relocating to Spain. We are planning to move to Spain in the next two years with our two young sons for a better life for them and to be honest to get them away from the crime and violence in England that seems to get worse every week. The last thing we want is for the kids to be unhappy in a country that doesn't want them there. On the many holidays that we have had in Spain I can honestly say that we have always been treated well and people have been friendly to us, especially to our children, I have never known a nation of people love all children so much! I am eager to know how much effort the schools intergrate our English children to help them to make friends, I desperatley need some positive feedback. I love Spain and am usually a really positive person but i am starting to question my opinions when i listen to more negative family and friends give there two penneth.

written by my lovely
wife
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Mourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really nice
Default Re: moving to spain

Originally Posted by padgate
Recently i have heard on radio news that the hostility towards the British is rising in Spain, due to the amount of us that are buying and relocating to Spain. We are planning to move to Spain in the next two years with our two young sons for a better life for them and to be honest to get them away from the crime and violence in England that seems to get worse every week. The last thing we want is for the kids to be unhappy in a country that doesn't want them there. On the many holidays that we have had in Spain I can honestly say that we have always been treated well and people have been friendly to us, especially to our children, I have never known a nation of people love all children so much! I am eager to know how much effort the schools intergrate our English children to help them to make friends, I desperatley need some positive feedback. I love Spain and am usually a really positive person but i am starting to question my opinions when i listen to more negative family and friends give there two penneth.

written by my lovely
wife
I am always amazed how tolerant the spanish are to the invasion of foreigners who have claimed their coastline , the main problem is ignorant brits who expect everyone to speak english , and every bar to have sky sports , if you integrate in to the community you choose and live the spanish life you will be fine , if you want your existing life with a sunnier backdrop you might find some hostility and not only from the spanish .
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:41 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

written by my lovely
wife

There was a documentary on Spanish TV last week about exactly this as these days there are a high number of immigrant children in spanish schools. Obviously more so on the coasts. There was one particular school (cant remember where) where there was only ONE spanish child and all the rest were foreigners. The child's mother was understandably complaining as the limited language skills of the class were holding her child back. Anyway, that case was not typical.

They did a lot of interviews with mothers outside the school gates to get their opinions and the general consensus seemed to be that a certain amount of foreigners in a class was a beneficial thing as the spanish children could learn about other countries and cultures and learn to be more tolerant. Children from EU countries seemed to be accepted, but a lot of the spanish mothers objected to children from other religions or cultures - particularly morrocans and muslims.

They seem to look down on the morocans, fear the muslims but respect northern europeans as long as they do not hold the class back.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 7:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters
There was a documentary on Spanish TV last week about exactly this as these days there are a high number of immigrant children in spanish schools. Obviously more so on the coasts. There was one particular school (cant remember where) where there was only ONE spanish child and all the rest were foreigners. The child's mother was understandably complaining as the limited language skills of the class were holding her child back. Anyway, that case was not typical.

They did a lot of interviews with mothers outside the school gates to get their opinions and the general consensus seemed to be that a certain amount of foreigners in a class was a beneficial thing as the spanish children could learn about other countries and cultures and learn to be more tolerant. Children from EU countries seemed to be accepted, but a lot of the spanish mothers objected to children from other religions or cultures - particularly morrocans and muslims.

They seem to look down on the morocans, fear the muslims but respect northern europeans as long as they do not hold the class back.
I think the majority of the problems are caused by people who are just NOT going to even try to learn the language, just assume that everyone will be able to speak English, or that arm waving and shouting will do the trick. We have a few round here, but we try to speak to our Spanish neighbours in their own language, using English only if we can't find the right words, and we always greet them in Spanish. I would think that translators are well used here as well judging from the number of adverts they put out.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 3:19 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

hi i agree with every one has said about moving to spain it is vital you learn spanish the younger your children are the easier it is going to be for them my children are to old 15 and 12 to live in spain we are waiting till they have finished school and college the boys are staying in england they will rent are houses we shall go to spain full time alot of are friends in spain with children are age have gone back to england to finish there exams work for any brit in spain is limited you need to be there full time to see wot is going on in the area you live in so we have bought a farm house and use it for holodays at the moment untill we are ready good luck helen
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:57 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have been shown nothing but kindness and helpfullness since I have been here.

My neighbours have been helping us with officialdom, and down in the town everyone is very friendly.

I see no evidence yet of any hostility or envy at all
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya.....

We are a young family....with two children who are 3 and a half and 2 years old.

We moved to Spain 6 months ago for the same reasons as you want to.

I can tell you that we have been treated absolutely wonderfully and as you said the children are adored, mine are blonde and enjoying so much attention my son has got so mny Spanish girlsfriends already....and not even 4 !!!!

We are learning Spanish, and my son is in a Spanish school....the only British in his class. The teachers are great.....and Sam loves it !

If you speak the language, or at least try to, the Spanish are so kind and generous.....obviously if not, I should imagine they just aren't as friendly....much the same as in the UK.

The only hostility we have come across, was at the Medical Centre a few days ago ..... they did not even try and help us to understand them. It was so upsetting as we were trying very hard to understand them....so we are going back armed with a translator

We have been told that alot of Brits who live here have found this, and it seems this is the only place they have a problem with "foreigners". But saying that, in the UK it also is a problem, we don't appreciate the NHS being inundated with immagrants either....so we can't really blame them. They don't know who is paying tax to their country or who is not.....

Anyway, we are enjoying our life in Spain more than we imagined !! We haven't regretted it once.......as long as you embrace the Spanish way of life, and respect them and their country then there shouldn't be any problems.

Sorry turned into bit of a long one !!!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

padgate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie
Hiya.....

We are a young family....with two children who are 3 and a half and 2 years old.

We moved to Spain 6 months ago for the same reasons as you want to.

I can tell you that we have been treated absolutely wonderfully and as you said the children are adored, mine are blonde and enjoying so much attention my son has got so mny Spanish girlsfriends already....and not even 4 !!!!

We are learning Spanish, and my son is in a Spanish school....the only British in his class. The teachers are great.....and Sam loves it !

If you speak the language, or at least try to, the Spanish are so kind and generous.....obviously if not, I should imagine they just aren't as friendly....much the same as in the UK.

The only hostility we have come across, was at the Medical Centre a few days ago ..... they did not even try and help us to understand them. It was so upsetting as we were trying very hard to understand them....so we are going back armed with a translator

We have been told that alot of Brits who live here have found this, and it seems this is the only place they have a problem with "foreigners". But saying that, in the UK it also is a problem, we don't appreciate the NHS being inundated with immagrants either....so we can't really blame them. They don't know who is paying tax to their country or who is not.....

Anyway, we are enjoying our life in Spain more than we imagined !! We haven't regretted it once.......as long as you embrace the Spanish way of life, and respect them and their country then there shouldn't be any problems.

Sorry turned into bit of a long one !!!

Hi,

Thankyou so much for your reply, it was really nice to recieve a positive one, so many families have had horrible experiences with the Spanish schools I was starting to regret ever considering moving my children, because we have only experience kindness, all be it on short holidays I have been really surprised at the number of problems people have had with there children settling, some stories have bordered on pure cruelty, from other children and from there teachers.
Which area of Spain have you moved to, and have you got any info on the standard of education we have heard very mixed opinions on this, I suppose its like in the UK though the standards can vary alot there too.
Any advise and experiences would help greatly
many thanks
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:39 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Some of you have hit the nail on the head with comments about trying to impose your ways instead of adapting..

If you at least try to speak the language the locals will really appreciate it and they'll make you feel very welcome. Spain is, in general, a very welcoming place..

Your children will adapt much quicker than you, and if they are quite young they'll pick up the language straight away and they'll feel Spanish before you know it

I wish you the best of luck
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Thankyou so much for your reply, it was really nice to recieve a positive one, so many families have had horrible experiences with the Spanish schools I was starting to regret ever considering moving my children, because we have only experience kindness, all be it on short holidays I have been really surprised at the number of problems people have had with there children settling, some stories have bordered on pure cruelty, from other children and from there teachers.
Which area of Spain have you moved to, and have you got any info on the standard of education we have heard very mixed opinions on this, I suppose its like in the UK though the standards can vary alot there too.
Any advise and experiences would help greatly
many thanks

We have moved to Oliva, Valencia....Costa Blanca....East Coast.

We have heard a few stories that there are teachers that are less tolerant of English kids from around age 10 upwards ....when they have little or no knowledge of the language. I suppose it's fair really as teachers in England wouldn't appreciate a foreign pupil in their class taking up much more time than the other students in the class as they could not speak the language....

We moved out in June and only had one option left for schools as the next term was beginning in September. Luckily the school is fab, teachers are great. But we have heard mixed views on this school and were worried, but we are happy with the school. And have since learned that many families choose to travel to place their kids there.

However, as in England you are correct, the education recieved in Spanish schools are much a muchness....there are no "league tables" just inspectors visit schools and the schools have got to come upto scratch..!! Simple....well thats what we have been told.....as Sams not even 4 we are have not had to worry about his Education much but it can't be as bad as in Bristol

Anyway I think that children adapt extremely well, and I feel it's down to the individual child how long they take to adapt and fit in, as some kids love learning more than others, some kids are shyer than others. The parents should know how their child should cope. I think the family have to take responsiblity to help and support the children threw this time. And make it fun not stressful....we are learning from Sam ....he loves telling us new words.

Sorry long post !!!!! Feel free to PM me anytime....
Old Nov 29th 2006, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Negada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really nice

[QUOTE=padgate]Recently i have heard on radio news that the hostility towards the British is rising in Spain, due to the amount of us that are buying and relocating to Spain. We are planning to move to Spain in the next two years with our two young sons for a better life for them and to be honest to get them away from the crime and violence in England that seems to get worse every week. The last thing we want is for the kids to be unhappy in a country that doesn't want them there. On the many holidays that we have had in Spain I can honestly say that we have always been treated well and people have been friendly to us, especially to our children, I have never known a nation of people love all children so much! I am eager to know how much effort the schools intergrate our English children to help them to make friends, I desperatley need some positive feedback. I love Spain and am usually a really positive person but i am starting to question my opinions when i listen to more negative family and friends give there two penneth.

People in Spain are like people in any other European country. Some are nice, others are not nice. If you do relocate to Spain then come here with a mindset which will accept that Spain has many social problems and is not Utopia. Too many British people seem to think that Spain is all sunshine and smiles. Well, it's not. Fact of life.

Obviously, if one can communicate in Spanish then life is easier for the foreigner here. I wish you well in your future relocation plans. Research, preparation and learning the language are the key deciders...Good luck.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We have moved to Oliva, Valencia....Costa Blanca....East Coast.
'ere Mrs E, we live in the Costa Del Azahar, not the Costa Blanca
Old Nov 30th 2006, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
But a lot of estate agents call the Oliva area Costa Blanca North ! !
Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Sorry mate !!!
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

bh49q is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry mate !!!
Im happy to have a house in Costa Azahar rather than costa blanca north (sounds like a tube station) although im up near benicarlo so right at the other end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.