Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Old Oct 11th 2006, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Debby is on a distinguished road
Default Moving to Spain

Hi all
I am currently living in the UAE and have decided that its not all its made out to be so I am looking at moving to Spain with my little boy after the new year. I have decided to rent rather than buy for the first year just to see if I could settle there.

I have been to Spain several times over the years but only on holiday, are there any major pitfalls I should be aware of with renting etc and schools (7 year old boy). I am from London but have lived in other countries hence being in the UAE, any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Debby
Old Oct 11th 2006, 2:49 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain

Originally Posted by Debby
Hi all
I am currently living in the UAE and have decided that its not all its made out to be so I am looking at moving to Spain with my little boy after the new year. I have decided to rent rather than buy for the first year just to see if I could settle there.

I have been to Spain several times over the years but only on holiday, are there any major pitfalls I should be aware of with renting etc and schools (7 year old boy). I am from London but have lived in other countries hence being in the UAE, any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Debby

Hi Debby, all i can really saw is to have a bit of a browse around, there are some really good threads on Spain and its pitfalls and qualities on here. Try doing a thread search, (top right of the blue bar) it should bring up quite a lot of what you want to know, and ask. There are some knowledgeable folks on here and almost all are really helpful. By the way congrats about your choice of country, its a good one!
Old Oct 11th 2006, 8:27 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain

Originally Posted by Debby
Hi all

Many thanks
Debby
We did a long term rent before eventually purchasing in Jerez. I wouldn't say there were any major pitfalls exactly, just a few things that aren't quite the same as back home.

For example, non of the owners we spoke to wanted to declare their rental income, so we had to pay in cash and weren't given a proper bill for the money. This didn't bother us too much.

For the same reason, the owner didn't want to give us a contract. I suppose that means that if I decided to trash the place before I left he wouldn't have been able to prove I was ever there?????

We rented an unfurnished property. Unfurnished really does mean unfurnished, ie no light fittings, curtain rails, etc.

On the plus side, there was no problem having our menagerie of animals in the house. (something you would never be allowed in the UK). No credit checks were done, no references needed, no checks that I was financially stable and receiving an income, nothing.

However, we do slightly regret our time in rented property because at that time the house prices were booming and we calculate that for two years in rented property we probably ended up paying about 40-50,000 euros more for our house than had we bought it at the outset. Renting meant that we were absolutely certain about the area before committing ourselves, but financially very out of pocket.

I think 6-12 months in rented should be ample for getting to know the country and deciding if you like it or not.