Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Old Mar 4th 2005, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

debann is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Care In Spain

We want to move to our property in the Alicante area. My partner has pre existing medical conditions, diabetes and asthma. He is 58 years old. We know that we are entitled to medical services under the Spanish system for a limited period but we understand that he will not get private insurance because of his pre existing medical condition. Can we pay into the Spanish health system without working or does any one know of insurance companies which may provide cover?

Last edited by debann; Mar 4th 2005 at 4:23 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical Care In Spain

Originally Posted by debann
We want to move to our property in the Alicante area. My partner has pre existing medical conditions, diabetes and asthma. He is 58 years old. We know that we are entitled to medical services under the Spanish system for a limited period but we understand that he will not get private insurance because of his pre existing medical condition. Can we pay into the Spanish health system without working or does any one know of insurance companies which may provide cover?
Hi,

In theory you are entitled to health care provision in Spain - EU rules and all that. Finding a local health authority that knows you are entitled and will actually get you on their system is another matter. Hopefully someone else with experience of this will give you some advice.

Once you are here , and if you haven't done so already, get yourselves registered on the Padron with the local council - that will help.

There are lots of companies offering cover. Diabetes might be an expensive pre existing condition to cover, asthma will depend on the degree of seriousness, and how many times your partner has required hospital treatment in a certain period of time.

I can't give you specifics on good or bad but suggest you get cover when you are here and don't jump for the first company you see advertising at ex-pats.

Any day to day medication will be available (usually without prescription) from your local farmacia and they are usually fantastic and very helpful.

You should familiarise yourself with where your local health clinic is, what their phone numbers are, etc.

The Spanish health service is under the same strains as the NHS but if you ever need them in an emergency you'll be treated very well.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 7:16 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by svenskidoo
Hi,

In theory you are entitled to health care provision in Spain - EU rules and all that. Finding a local health authority that knows you are entitled and will actually get you on their system is another matter. Hopefully someone else with experience of this will give you some advice.

Once you are here , and if you haven't done so already, get yourselves registered on the Padron with the local council - that will help.

There are lots of companies offering cover. Diabetes might be an expensive pre existing condition to cover, asthma will depend on the degree of seriousness, and how many times your partner has required hospital treatment in a certain period of time.

I can't give you specifics on good or bad but suggest you get cover when you are here and don't jump for the first company you see advertising at ex-pats.

Any day to day medication will be available (usually without prescription) from your local farmacia and they are usually fantastic and very helpful.

You should familiarise yourself with where your local health clinic is, what their phone numbers are, etc.

The Spanish health service is under the same strains as the NHS but if you ever need them in an emergency you'll be treated very well.
Good post mate, I have found that most day to day medication is a lot cheaper than the UK as well. try to take the old box in and get the Spanish equivalent "big word for Sun morning, them spellcheckers are handy "
Old Mar 6th 2005, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Good post mate, I have found that most day to day medication is a lot cheaper than the UK as well. try to take the old box in and get the Spanish equivalent "big word for Sun morning, them spellcheckers are handy "

like instead of getting "ventolin" blue inhalers (which contain subutamol) for €5.05...

get "subutamol" beige ones .. exactly the same contents.. for €3.40

not alot i know.. but it all adds up