Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain in 2 weeks - Am I too late?

Moving to Spain in 2 weeks - Am I too late?

Old Dec 23rd 2020, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Silk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Spain in 2 weeks - Am I too late?

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
A potentially bigger problem will be exchanging a UK licence because the 'drop dead' date for that is fixed at Dec 25th. but you need your residency before you can make an application and with appointments for that already stretching into Jan 2021, if not February, there is effectively zero chance of getting that in time.

Recognising that mismatch DGT are supposedly introducing a web page where those who stand to miss that cutoff can pre-register their intent to exchange but it was only announced a week or so ago and hasn't appeared yet.

We arrived in Spain last week and have spent all our time finding and securing an apartment. My current concern is the driving licence cut off period. Does anyone have a link to this 'pre register' web page if it exists?

Thanks
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 8:32 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain in 2 weeks - Am I too late?

Originally Posted by Silk
We arrived in Spain last week and have spent all our time finding and securing an apartment. My current concern is the driving licence cut off period. Does anyone have a link to this 'pre register' web page if it exists?

Thanks
There's this page here:

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/permisos-...uk/index.shtml

You've got until the 30th of December to ask for the preregistration and if they don't get into contact with you in the three working days that follow you can take that as the green light to ask for an interview time.

You can carry on using your British licence but the DGT needs to talk to the DVLA and get an answer back that your British driving licence is indeed valid before the end of the year. If they don't get an answer back then Spain will accept your British licence until the end of June, after that you must take a test and use a Spanish one.

So you really should sort out the preregistration right now and hope the DVLA answer the DGT before the end of the year.

Last edited by DLC; Dec 23rd 2020 at 9:04 pm.