moving to Spain; where to ?

moving to Spain; where to ?

Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

imissun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Spain; where to ?

it is my very first post here,
so saying hey to everyone, greetings!

I want to move to Spain. I live in London right now, and have a job utilizing Internet and my skills as audio engineer. It is important to say, this allows me to live wherever I dream of, it just needs to have Internet. I did some research regarding moving to Spain, yet there is still many questions to ask. Let's focus on very important one - where to ?

I supposed to be moving next year, September, with my GF, but it seems I will be moving on my own.
I am 42 yo, no kids, so I don't need to be close to schools, or hospitals, or/and golf clubs.
I was thinking Andalusia is a region I would love to live, but I am happy to be corrected.
Actually, I still consider Portugal as well, as my main goal is to have
- silence (I have enough of London's noise)
- nature (I really miss it...) view on sea and mountains - very recommended
-weather - sun&blue sky (that's obvious for anyone living in north Europe
- food (as veggie eater I believe quality of veggies in sunny place must be better)
- lower cost of living (comparing to London, or anywhere in UK)

To better describe what I am looking for - I am musician/artist, so probably will be looking for same spirited souls. Therefore my first idea about living in rural area was rejected. Going to Spain alone (and still not speaking Spanish, although willing and trying to learn) I rather will live in outskirts of some town, then in complete wilderness. (that was my very first plan). Javea/Xabia seems to be very nice place, but maybe there are other places I don't know about ?
Well I haven't been in that part of Spain, but plan to visit it next month, and then following spring and summer before moving in.

I am very happy to listen to yours opinions, and questions.

namaste
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:12 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Spain; where to ?

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome, several areas come to mind given your introduction.

Orgiva, lot of music in and around The Alpujarra. I think internet in Orgiva would be okay plus 35 mins to coast and all the nature flora and fauna you might like all around you. Plenty lovely mountain walks and drives.

Ayamonte, again lots going on in town and beach not far away, again lots of music especially in the season. On the Guadiana River so plenty wildlife around plus DonaƱa National park not far away. Also close to Portugal,16 mins ferry ride at 1 euro 70 cents each way or by road less than half an hour I suppose ( don't drive) The don't call it Coast de la Luz for nothing :-)

Portugal, the area from Vila Real de Santo Antonio along the coast has all things water based, wild life and lovely villages. Also Rio Formosa Natural Park.

Cadiz area might also fit the bill, there seems to be some live music there also and beaches a plenty.

Last edited by bxpuser24710519; Sep 1st 2013 at 12:24 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:28 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by imissun
it is my very first post here,
so saying hey to everyone, greetings!

I want to move to Spain. I live in London right now, and have a job utilizing Internet and my skills as audio engineer. It is important to say, this allows me to live wherever I dream of, it just needs to have Internet. I did some research regarding moving to Spain, yet there is still many questions to ask. Let's focus on very important one - where to ?

I supposed to be moving next year, September, with my GF, but it seems I will be moving on my own.
I am 42 yo, no kids, so I don't need to be close to schools, or hospitals, or/and golf clubs.
I was thinking Andalusia is a region I would love to live, but I am happy to be corrected.
Actually, I still consider Portugal as well, as my main goal is to have
- silence (I have enough of London's noise)
- nature (I really miss it...) view on sea and mountains - very recommended
-weather - sun&blue sky (that's obvious for anyone living in north Europe
- food (as veggie eater I believe quality of veggies in sunny place must be better)
- lower cost of living (comparing to London, or anywhere in UK)

To better describe what I am looking for - I am musician/artist, so probably will be looking for same spirited souls. Therefore my first idea about living in rural area was rejected. Going to Spain alone (and still not speaking Spanish, although willing and trying to learn) I rather will live in outskirts of some town, then in complete wilderness. (that was my very first plan). Javea/Xabia seems to be very nice place, but maybe there are other places I don't know about ?
Well I haven't been in that part of Spain, but plan to visit it next month, and then following spring and summer before moving in.

I am very happy to listen to yours opinions, and questions.

namaste

if you can find the time and inclination I would suggest you visit a few places for a week or so and get them fixed in your mind
everywhere has pluses and minuses, living in Andalusia it can have the extremes of weather of 40+ for the past 4-5 weeks, although now down to more acceptable mid-low 30's. In the past winter even the coastal strip got down to zero in a few places, although further inland we had snow and -5 or so. Rain was also a problem earlier this year, with reservoir's being at 95% capacity - almost unheard of.

but you are going to have to seriously consider your location as the internet and associated communications facilities are important for the job. And the majority of the high broadband locations are in places like Madrid and Barcelona, where you can get 50mb whilst down the south many people get by with an actual 1.5mb or less

food wise, the Spanish export their rejects to places like the UK, the quality here is excellent, the prices really low. Where you are paying 80p/Ā£1 each for a small hand held pepper we pay ā‚¬1.80 a kilo, sometimes that can only 2 or 3 peppers.

but be careful, all utilities - water, electricity are expensive, gas is only limited to certain parts of very large locations so you have to have a canister, rubbish is usually communal bins serving a number of houses as you can't get UK style bins into the houses. And they empty at midnight, so don't live near too near a bin.

so long as you can meet the "wealth" check and prepared to pay for private medical then there are many places you may find will meet your needs.

best of luck
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Domino

if you can find the time and inclination I would suggest you visit a few places for a week or so and get them fixed in your mind
everywhere has pluses and minuses, living in Andalusia it can have the extremes of weather of 40+ for the past 4-5 weeks, although now down to more acceptable mid-low 30's. In the past winter even the coastal strip got down to zero in a few places, although further inland we had snow and -5 or so. Rain was also a problem earlier this year, with reservoir's being at 95% capacity - almost unheard of.

but you are going to have to seriously consider your location as the internet and associated communications facilities are important for the job. And the majority of the high broadband locations are in places like Madrid and Barcelona, where you can get 50mb whilst down the south many people get by with an actual 1.5mb or less

food wise, the Spanish export their rejects to places like the UK, the quality here is excellent, the prices really low. Where you are paying 80p/Ā£1 each for a small hand held pepper we pay ā‚¬1.80 a kilo, sometimes that can only 2 or 3 peppers.

but be careful, all utilities - water, electricity are expensive, gas is only limited to certain parts of very large locations so you have to have a canister, rubbish is usually communal bins serving a number of houses as you can't get UK style bins into the houses. And they empty at midnight, so don't live near too near a bin.

so long as you can meet the "wealth" check and prepared to pay for private medical then there are many places you may find will meet your needs.

best of luck
thank all of you for input, very valuable!
I have a question regarding medical health, though. I was under impression, that from autumn 2012 all legal EU residents earning below 100 000 EUR per annum have a right to free health care.
Could you confirm I am mistaken ?
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

for sure I am going to visit place before moving in!
but firstly, I'd like to know roughly about places to get some basic idea...
For example, high temperatures and no rain - I know that there are some microclimates where even in south there's a rain and there is some relief from super hot weather. I just don;t know where are those places exactly....

also, how to establish, find out about Internet ?
I really don;t need super fast, although I do upload and download files, so at least 12 Megs/1Meg (download/upload).
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: moving to Spain; where to ?

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Hi and welcome, several areas come to mind given your introduction.

Orgiva, lot of music in and around The Alpujarra. I think internet in Orgiva would be okay plus 35 mins to coast and all the nature flora and fauna you might like all around you. Plenty lovely mountain walks and drives.

Ayamonte, again lots going on in town and beach not far away, again lots of music especially in the season. On the Guadiana River so plenty wildlife around plus DonaƱa National park not far away. Also close to Portugal,16 mins ferry ride at 1 euro 70 cents each way or by road less than half an hour I suppose ( don't drive) The don't call it Coast de la Luz for nothing :-)

Portugal, the area from Vila Real de Santo Antonio along the coast has all things water based, wild life and lovely villages. Also Rio Formosa Natural Park.

Cadiz area might also fit the bill, there seems to be some live music there also and beaches a plenty.
thank you for great info!
just checking those places, Orgiva is in a zone I was thinking of - between Granada and sea, so be able to enjoy summer and winter, plus possibly colder weather and more rain (?)
very interesting
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

thank all of you for input, very valuable!
I have a question regarding medical health, though. I was under impression, that from autumn 2012 all legal EU residents earning below 100 000 EUR per annum have a right to free health care.
Could you confirm I am mistaken ?
Sorry to have to tell you this, but that is only applicable if you were already legally resident in Spain at the time this was introduced in 2012. After that date, all newcomers signing on the official register of foreign residents must be able to show proof of either sufficient funds in a Spanish bank account to support themselves (or regular payments eg pensions into one), plus proof that they have medical cover. This can be in the form of a Spanish employment contract confirming that social security contributions are being paid, autonomo (self-employed) social security contributions being paid, an S1 form from the DWP confirming that the UK Government will meet the person's heathcare costs for up to 2 years (if below state pension age), or private medical insurance.

I would echo what other posters have said about the importance of choosing an area where fast, reliable internet connection is available, given your line of work. This is, unfortunately, unlikely to be in a rural area, which means some compromise between your wish for a peaceful, quiet life and your need to earn a crust!

One last word of warning - Spain may grow lots of good vegetables and fruit, but that doesn't mean it is a paradise for vegetarians when it comes to eating out - quite the opposite. My OH is vegetarian (does not eat fish, which some who say they are vegetarian do) and we find it a real struggle outside the major cities to have a decent choice of places to eat. It seems most Spanish restaurant and cafe owners don't consider such things as jamon, chicken or tuna to be meat or fish at all for some reason, and often will not even include them in the listed ingredients of a dish on a menu, which leads to some unwelcome surprises and dishes being sent back. Always ask for confirmation that whatever you order contains no meat or fish and it is safest to specify no jamon, etc. either - sounds incredibly picky, but we have learned from experience! You will have no problem cooking for yourself as the quality of the ingredients is good, but dining out is another matter.

As well as the other places already mentioned, I'd check out Salobrena on the coast in Granada province - the winter weather will be a lot milder than up in Orgiva, and it's a lovely town.

Last edited by Lynn R; Sep 1st 2013 at 1:15 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I visit the Orgiva area at least once a year more if I can. I go to a village above the town and the climate seems to be fairly decent all year round. I see lots of different types of people, music, therapies and the arts and crafts. Lots of good fresh fruit and veg grown the mountains, plenty to have a varied diet. The town has several shops with a choice pulses beans etc I don't think you would be stuck for people to interact with there.

The campsites have various types of music events to cater for most people lots of local musicians. The village I visit has a cultural week with different events including dance, theatre and music. I think many places around there have them and a host of other things.

I love the whole atmosphere of the place, the peace quiet and calm. Nothing beats sitting a top a mountain with kites and kestrels soaring at eye level, eagles above and butterflies and flowers at your feet.

If I remember correctly there used to be a vegetarian restaurant somewhere will have a look for it.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just a small comment the mountain village I visit is likely to get snow but usually it is gone within the day for the immediate surrounding. I was there for Christmas one year and compared to some places I have been it was cosy No hat gloves and winter boots required unless going walking up the mountain which some of the ladies do every day come rain hail or shine. The area has a micro climate I believe. They had no snow to speak of that year. I was colder in England this May than have been for years anywhere other than Krakow.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Sorry to have to tell you this, but that is only applicable if you were already legally resident in Spain at the time this was introduced in 2012. After that date, all newcomers signing on the official register of foreign residents must be able to show proof of either sufficient funds in a Spanish bank account to support themselves (or regular payments eg pensions into one), plus proof that they have medical cover. This can be in the form of a Spanish employment contract confirming that social security contributions are being paid, autonomo (self-employed) social security contributions being paid, an S1 form from the DWP confirming that the UK Government will meet the person's heathcare costs for up to 2 years (if below state pension age), or private medical insurance.

I would echo what other posters have said about the importance of choosing an area where fast, reliable internet connection is available, given your line of work. This is, unfortunately, unlikely to be in a rural area, which means some compromise between your wish for a peaceful, quiet life and your need to earn a crust!

One last word of warning - Spain may grow lots of good vegetables and fruit, but that doesn't mean it is a paradise for vegetarians when it comes to eating out - quite the opposite. My OH is vegetarian (does not eat fish, which some who say they are vegetarian do) and we find it a real struggle outside the major cities to have a decent choice of places to eat. It seems most Spanish restaurant and cafe owners don't consider such things as jamon, chicken or tuna to be meat or fish at all for some reason, and often will not even include them in the listed ingredients of a dish on a menu, which leads to some unwelcome surprises and dishes being sent back. Always ask for confirmation that whatever you order contains no meat or fish and it is safest to specify no jamon, etc. either - sounds incredibly picky, but we have learned from experience! You will have no problem cooking for yourself as the quality of the ingredients is good, but dining out is another matter.

As well as the other places already mentioned, I'd check out Salobrena on the coast in Granada province - the winter weather will be a lot milder than up in Orgiva, and it's a lovely town.
thank you, that's something I did consider as resolved... and seems a bit of a problem now
Well, I don't have to register in Spain, as I will still work here in UK on contract, as a free lancer, and that would be more half of the year.
Anyway, doing so I still prefer to have as a base/home a sunny and less expensive place. Therefore I will be paying taxes in UK. Now I was 100% sure about the health issue, that this is resolved for EU citizens, now it really makes it complicated again...
the administration part is something I am not really good at all...
Old Sep 1st 2013, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Just a small comment the mountain village I visit is likely to get snow but usually it is gone within the day for the immediate surrounding. I was there for Christmas one year and compared to some places I have been it was cosy No hat gloves and winter boots required unless going walking up the mountain which some of the ladies do every day come rain hail or shine. The area has a micro climate I believe. They had no snow to speak of that year. I was colder in England this May than have been for years anywhere other than Krakow.
really appreciate your input, thank you!
I don't mind snow, if there is sunshine - like in mountains near Krakow, during winter. Yours descriptions are really appealing.
Do you know how to check Internet provider in area?
is it phone line company in Spain?
is it related to phone line
Old Sep 1st 2013, 4:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

really appreciate your input, thank you!
I don't mind snow, if there is sunshine - like in mountains near Krakow, during winter. Yours descriptions are really appealing.
Do you know how to check Internet provider in area?
is it phone line company in Spain?
is it related to phone line
Internet outside the big cities is likely to be slow, with less than 2mbps as normal, there may be better speeds in some areas, but they are more likely to be using satellite, and therefore much more expensive pnone and internet are considerably more expensive than the UK.
Southern Spain, where the best of the sunshine is, can be very wet in Autumn, and amny people have recently found out, and the rain is usually a short cloudburst, which leaves areas flooded, of about a couple of hours, and then the roads dry, well except for the flooded areas.
If you are making your home in Spain, then you will have to become a resident, otherwise much of officialdom will be denied you, and, unfortunately, Spain is a very beaurocratic country.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 6:04 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

If it weren't for the need of sea I'd suggest Madrid - but in a town outside the city, maybe somewhere like Pozuelo, Majadahonda or Alcobendas...

But if you need to be near the sea, then perhaps Barcelona would be a good choice. But you'll need plenty of money (it's not a cheap place to live). And one thing you seek - a quiet place - maybe hard to find.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 7:08 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

for sure I am going to visit place before moving in!
but firstly, I'd like to know roughly about places to get some basic idea...
For example, high temperatures and no rain - I know that there are some microclimates where even in south there's a rain and there is some relief from super hot weather. I just don;t know where are those places exactly....

also, how to establish, find out about Internet ?
I really don;t need super fast, although I do upload and download files, so at least 12 Megs/1Meg (download/upload).
please don't make me laugh - this is SPAIN .

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...d#post10840535
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...internet+speed
will give you some indications of the problems in getting an internet connection and a speed that is useful.
do a search on the site, but beware - like many things on forums you need to have a pinch of salt with you

hth
kr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.