Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sevilla

Moving to Sevilla

Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Sevilla

You can Google the English speaking schools and then look at locations for accommodation which would optimise routes/distances for the school run and your commute. Good luck.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

betis is an unknown quantity at this point

jdr Thank-you for your kind comment which just goes to show why I would rather PM someone than put up with a sarcastic unwarranted comment. Like Caz I live close by and certainly have no 'business' to tout although we shouldn't have to justify sending someone a PM.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by betis
jdr Thank-you for your kind comment which just goes to show why I would rather PM someone than put up with a sarcastic unwarranted comment. Like Caz I live close by and certainly have no 'business' to tout although we shouldn't have to justify sending someone a PM.
Here here!!!!! Some people are genuine and just want to help!!!!
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

matchrissy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I DO appreciate the help, and advice
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betis
Originally Posted by Cazzy1
Here here!!!!! Some people are genuine and just want to help!!!!
You have to admit it looks a bit sus and besides that it is a bit nicer to use the forum as it is supposed to be used and post the info on the site. Then other people that may also be moving can use it to help them, and who knows may even persuade people living elsewhere that it may be nicer there for them.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
You have to admit it looks a bit sus and besides that it is a bit nicer to use the forum as it is supposed to be used and post the info on the site. Then other people that may also be moving can use it to help them, and who knows may even persuade people living elsewhere that it may be nicer there for them.
nothing Sus at all, i can assure you, just giving me some specific details about what i was asking.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 9:26 am
Just Joined

cmcfeid is an unknown quantity at this point

Matchrissy,
I would go further and say do not consider buying for at least three years by which time you will have decided whether you want to settle in the area. Like the UK, in Spain buying and selling is an expensive and stressful business.

I assume you own a place in the UK, so let that and you will probabaly find that it more than covers the rental of a decent place near Seville.

You and your family may find it difficult to adjust to life in Seville itself which is a beautiful and interesting place to visit but a bit claustrophobic. I suggest you initially commute from Arahal, which is about twenty miles or a half hour easy commute to Alcala. It is a nice typical old Andalusian town with a pretty centre and, like most places in spain, scruffy suburbs. You will get more for your money there and may find it easier to make friends with other parents etc.
Everywhere in inland Andalusia is blistering in July/Aug - use that time to holiday in the UK or go to the Costa de la Luz which is s short drive and is far nicer than the Med.
I have lived and worked in Madrid and Jerez and all of the expats I know would agree that buying should only be considered if you are sure you will have a long term commitment to an area.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the info, we decided that as you say, waiting to buy would be the best bet
Old Feb 10th 2012, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Re. the children: when people say English speaking schools, just remember your children will be learning Spanish some 25/30% of the curriculum at an English speaking school, and not just learning Spanish in terms of grammar, reading & writing, but also doing geography/science (conocimiento) in Spanish. If they are outgoing, keen kids I'd be inclined to see how they take to going straight in to Spanish school. Give it a term or two, don't force them if it seems to be going pearshaped, be prepared to move them but the sooner they're into the language the better. I'm sure on top of that you won't forget that if they're in Spanish school they'll need 'topping up' with English reading/writing!

nb from a total innocent's point of view it can't help but be intriguing as to what was so uninteresting to other readers as to send by pm... sorry, had to say!