Reload this Page >

Moving to Palma from UK

Moving to Palma from UK

Old Jan 9th 2016, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Lionface is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Palma from UK

Hi

We are planning a move to Palma de Mallorca with our 6 month old baby in the next few months and we're after some advice. We are aiming to rent long term and are self employed (internet based work) so not looking for employment. My Spanish is rusty but I'm confident I can get back to a decent level fairly quickly and my partner is fluent. If anyone has any relevant info, I'd really appreciate some advice on the following:

- I'm presuming that the summer season affects the availability of long term rentals. Is it reasonable to think we can find somewhere long term in Palma in April? Should we be looking to move and rent short term in the beginning or is it usually a fairly quick process?

- Are there usually any hidden extras or things we might not be aware of / should be looking out for in terms of renting?

- someone told us we need a residency certificate to rent long term - is this true?

- Good areas to live in Palma? Agent / website recommendations ?

- we need reasonable internet access to work - what are the general speeds like and which are the best companies to use?

- Anyone know anything about childcare facilities in Palma ?

- What is the score with medical access and the need for insurance?

- Does anyone have any recommendations with regard to shipping belongings from UK?

- If self-employed and living full time in Mallorca we presumably need to get to grips with the Spanish tax system - can anyone advise on the basics or recommend a good place to get advice.

- Any other advice on Palma / making such a move or pointers on things we may not have thought of would be most welcome.

Thanks very much,

Emily

Last edited by Lionface; Jan 9th 2016 at 5:08 pm. Reason: Error
Old Jan 9th 2016, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Palma from UK

Welcome Lionface, you are not the first person to think of this sort of move. Whilst you await detailed replies to all your questions you may have a look at some of the previously posted threads on this forum. Lots of useful stuff relevant to your situation has been posted recently. You may then be able to refine your questions to maximise their usefulness. Best of luck with your move.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 8:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionface
Hi

We are planning a move to Palma de Mallorca with our 6 month old baby in the next few months and we're after some advice. We are aiming to rent long term and are self employed (internet based work) so not looking for employment. My Spanish is rusty but I'm confident I can get back to a decent level fairly quickly and my partner is fluent. If anyone has any relevant info, I'd really appreciate some advice on the following:
- Any other advice on Palma / making such a move or pointers on things we may not have thought of would be most welcome.

Thanks very much,

Emily
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 10th 2016, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

lesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

- I'm presuming that the summer season affects the availability of long term rentals. Is it reasonable to think we can find somewhere long term in Palma in April? Should we be looking to move and rent short term in the beginning or is it usually a fairly quick process?

- Are there usually any hidden extras or things we might not be aware of / should be looking out for in terms of renting?

- someone told us we need a residency certificate to rent long term - is this true?

- Good areas to live in Palma? Agent / website recommendations ?

- we need reasonable internet access to work - what are the general speeds like and which are the best companies to use?

- Anyone know anything about childcare facilities in Palma ?

- What is the score with medical access and the need for insurance?

- Does anyone have any recommendations with regard to shipping belongings from UK?

- If self-employed and living full time in Mallorca we presumably need to get to grips with the Spanish tax system - can anyone advise on the basics or recommend a good place to get advice.

Thanks very much,

Emily
First of all I'm not in Palma but Alcudia, the other end of the island but hopefully I can guide you in some way from our experience.

Regarding renting. When we took the plunge to long term rent we were given a year and at the end of the year a three year option. We had to show NIF, passport and residencia. From saying yes to moving in was 2weeks. We had to pay a months rent upfront and the same amount for a deposit and to the agent. The money to the agent could be avoided if you go private. But we were happy to go through an agent as they sort the issues out and we had a few, air con not working a door that would not lock, sorting the electric out etc.
I'd start looking now on the Internet for somewhere and see what comes up.
I don't think long term let's are affected by the holiday season. Some owners are happy to have a regular income all the year round.
Internet, we use Movistar in the office and at home. We have the fibre optic and download speed is between 20&40meg and upload 6to10meg.
We used our tourist medical card when we first moved over. Once we got into the system and started paying autonomous we registered with a doctor. You can do private medical insurance.
Moving belongings over, check Webbs out. They moved us, very professional and I thought remarkably well priced.
Paying tax as self employed, you need a Gestoria. I am lucky to have a good one in Alcudia that speaks English.
There are loads of things you won't have thought of and if you do move you are in for a rough ride but the rewards are immense.
Sorry I couldn't help with all your questions.
Good luck with your move and new life, hope it comes off for you.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 8:06 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I would second everything lesleyandme said and only add the following:

First, why Palma? It is a great city, but it isn't exactly a "family" place. It's more like any other large city, with all the same benefits (and headaches). It offers all the benefits of city life, such as shopping, public transport, loads of restaurants, and great cultural experience, but also high traffic, limited parking, noise, small apartments at somewhat premium prices, higher crime rate... Even the suburbs aren't exactly "beautiful" (except of course if you can afford something really "special").

Compared to places outside Palma or the southwest in general, you could enjoy much more space and more peace at a fraction of the cost of living by going north or east. It's not a huge island. You can live " far outside" and yet still be only minutes from the city, shopping, etc. No doubt lesleyandme might agree that even Alcudia has quite a few benefits for family life over Palma.

Internet speeds vary by town, but today you can get pretty good speeds almost anywhere. In the major cities, there is fibre, but outside the metro areas, you'll probably be better off with WiMax (wireless). You can get up to about 20Mb at reasonable cost. Try connectabalear.com.

You will initially need private insurance. Axa is pretty good, albeit not the cheapest, nor the most expensive. And they offer all services and paperwork in English. For auto insurance, I've found Linea Directa to provide excellent service at good rates (also happy to deal with you in English). Beware of the "cheapest". It may be cheap, but too oft, they offer pathetic service, and it can be like pulling teeth to make any claim. Also avoid the most expensive... They also too oft have unbelievably poor service.

Childcare... I am certainly no expert in this, but I think you'll find that childcare services just aren't part of Spanish life in general, and you may have difficulty finding any (that you would feel confident about anyway). Someone may prove me wrong, but I certainly haven't seen such things as widely offered as in northern Europe.

Finally, yes, as Lesley points out, there will be plenty of headaches initially, but once you get past all that, things start to get better and better. Mallorca today is easily doubly as nice a place to live than it was just 10 years ago.

Good luck with everything!

Ami
Old Jan 10th 2016, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

lesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond repute

Great post as usual from Ami and I agree with just about everything you say.
We live in Alcudia as it where we can make a living and I too enjoy the odd day in Palma but wouldn't want to live there.
One thing I would point out Ami is childcare is available, certainly in Alcudia. We work alongside a company that does alot of work within the English and German communities up here.
They also get alot of work through us for the self catering holidaymaker.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Lesleyandme and Ami
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Can anyone advise me of where to find listings of private long term rentals in Palma? We have been looking through agents but wondered how to also find apartments directly from owners/landlords ...

Thank you!
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 3:55 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone advise me of where to find listings of private long term rentals in Palma? We have been looking through agents but wondered how to also find apartments directly from owners/landlords ...

Thank you!
Here are a few of the regulars

Fotocasa

Idealista

Mil Anuncios
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 4:17 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Here are a few of the regulars

Fotocasa

Idealista

Mil Anuncios
... and another (the biggest?) Pisos en alquiler en EspaƱa, Madrid y Barcelona - Enalquiler.com

but I'm not sure if they cover Mallorca
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Long term rental Majorca - rent in Mallorca.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank you! I had looked at Idealista already but they still seemed to be agency listings. I will take a look at the others.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 1:38 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I had looked at Idealista already but they still seemed to be agency listings. I will take a look at the others.
Some will be agency and others will be personal ads (particulares).