Reload this Page >

Moving to Palma de Mallorca

Moving to Palma de Mallorca

Old Jul 30th 2015, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

renwick7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Palma de Mallorca

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are moving to Palma de Mallorca in late September as she is doing a 4 month internship at a hotel. Unfortunately the hotel doesn't provide accommodation. We are looking for an apartment in Ponent or in the centre of Palma. Our budget is between 400-500 Euros p/m, which I know won't get us much but we don't need much.

I have a couple of questions:

Are any good websites where we can look for apartments?

Will prices go down over the winter and if so, when will they start to go down?

Does availability increase over the winter, even in Palma?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Simon
Old Aug 1st 2015, 6:25 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Palma de Mallorca

€400-€500 isn't a lot to spend for Palma, but if you search around, you can usually find a good value.

First, don't look on the English websites. All will be higher. Look on the local, Spanish-language sites.

Try segundamano, idealista, fotocasa...

Second, prices will drop or at least be more "negotiable" starting about November.

Also, never, ever agree to a deposit of more than 2 month's rent. You aren't likely to get it back, so you may as well write it off up front.

Good luck,

Ami
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
€400-€500 isn't a lot to spend for Palma, but if you search around, you can usually find a good value.

First, don't look on the English websites. All will be higher. Look on the local, Spanish-language sites.

Second, prices will drop or at least be more "negotiable" starting about November.

Also, never, ever agree to a deposit of more than 2 month's rent. You aren't likely to get it back, so you may as well write it off up front.

Good luck,

Ami
HI just browsing this am before going out to lunch. I have read that deposits never ever come back and that tenants tend to withhold the last two months rental. Is that fact or fiction please in your considered opinion.

Of course in the UK and this is not the UK all bonds are held independently and upon exit with all things being equal it comes back to you - unless of course major damage.

I would be unhappy withholding especially as owners under new Spanish law could have you out in six weeks. Then it goes against my creed as a lawyer - an interesting concept?
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 10:50 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porth
HI just browsing this am before going out to lunch. I have read that deposits never ever come back and that tenants tend to withhold the last two months rental. Is that fact or fiction please in your considered opinion.

Of course in the UK and this is not the UK all bonds are held independently and upon exit with all things being equal it comes back to you - unless of course major damage.

I would be unhappy withholding especially as owners under new Spanish law could have you out in six weeks. Then it goes against my creed as a lawyer - an interesting concept?
Both retaining deposits and refusing to pay last 2 months' rent are technically unlawful, as long as not explicitly agreed by both parties, and are subject to litigation.

However, retain deposits is pretty common, because there are so many ways to legitimately and illegitimately justify it before a judge. The usual argument is that the tenant "ruined" the property. A few photos is all it takes to "prove" that.

Not paying last 2 months' rent is much more risky, because the deposit is legally not to be used for that purpose, and in court, there just aren't good arguments in favour of it, and in the eyes of the court, those who refuse to pay are likely to be left on the hook for it, even if the landlord retains the deposit.

I'm only speculating, but I believe this is a hangover issue from the adversarial relationship that incubated from the previous system that prohibited eviction of any kind, for any reason, including non-payment of rents.

Just 10 years ago, many landlords were forced to suck it up when tenants didn't pay. I remember stories of people living rent-free for 5 years because they couldn't be evicted, and even when they finally were evicted, were not obliged to pay one cent in back rents. I reckon many property owners still harbour inherent diustrust of tenants, and deposits are still considered "key money", and that law rather favours it.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Both retaining deposits and refusing to pay last 2 months' rent are technically unlawful, as long as not explicitly agreed by both parties, and are subject to litigation.

However, retain deposits is pretty common, because there are so many ways to legitimately and illegitimately justify it before a judge. The usual argument is that the tenant "ruined" the property. A few photos is all it takes to "prove" that.

Not paying last 2 months' rent is much more risky, because the deposit is legally not to be used for that purpose, and in court, there just aren't good arguments in favour of it, and in the eyes of the court, those who refuse to pay are likely to be left on the hook for it, even if the landlord retains the deposit.

I'm only speculating, but I believe this is a hangover issue from the adversarial relationship that incubated from the previous system that prohibited eviction of any kind, for any reason, including non-payment of rents.

Just 10 years ago, many landlords were forced to suck it up when tenants didn't pay. I remember stories of people living rent-free for 5 years because they couldn't be evicted, and even when they finally were evicted, were not obliged to pay one cent in back rents. I reckon many property owners still harbour inherent diustrust of tenants, and deposits are still considered "key money", and that law rather favours it.
I do hope you would be ok if I were to send you a pm?
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 9:24 am
Just Joined

renwick7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the information amideislas. I think we are going to rent somewhere for 5 or 6 weeks at the start so the prices will start to go down and we can better place in October.

Interesting information about the deposit as well. I hope we don't lose our deposit even if we only stay short term as this would make it a very expensive stay. I will definitely be careful.

I have had a look through the website you told me about and they already look very promising. Are these websites known for scams or are they quite safe?
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 10:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by renwick7
Thanks for the information amideislas. I think we are going to rent somewhere for 5 or 6 weeks at the start so the prices will start to go down and we can better place in October.

Interesting information about the deposit as well. I hope we don't lose our deposit even if we only stay short term as this would make it a very expensive stay. I will definitely be careful.

I have had a look through the website you told me about and they already look very promising. Are these websites known for scams or are they quite safe?
Happy to help when i can.

These are all respectable, major trade websites. But its not the website you need to worry about, its the character if those listing the property.

Obviously, you wouldn't agree to a rental without seeing the property and or meeting the landlord. If you were willing to accept something sight unseen, then I have a lovely fake property for you

Seriously though. Not all landlords presume that the deposit is simply a 'gift'. But many do, especially when the 'naive newbie foreigner' opportunity presents itself, so be sure you fully understand the contract, which will most likely solely be in Spanish, and abide by all its terms - and save any receipts for things you spend such as repairs refused by the landlord, and keep every piece of correspondence between you and the landlord. And take photos both when you take possession, and when you leave.

When you're armed with all of that, any would-be enterprising landlord looking to make a quick couple thousand off you will be advised by their lawyer to seriously reconsider. It could end up costing them thousands!
Old Aug 6th 2015, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good luck,

Ami
Hi have sent you a pm

best wishes
Old Aug 6th 2015, 2:05 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Happy to help when i can.
That's some great advice, ami.

Looking at the Spanish sector is something us Brits don't always consider.