Reload this Page >

Moving to Palma de Mallorca

Moving to Palma de Mallorca

Old Jul 6th 2015, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

rusty81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Palma de Mallorca

Hi,
I have a new job in Palma so am just about to move there. Does anyone have any advice in relation to how to go about renting an apartment for the long term? My Spanish is fairly basic at this stage (something I plan to change asap) so this may limit the amount of communication with rental agencies etc. Any other advice about moving to the island will also of course be greatly appreciated! Russ
Old Jul 6th 2015, 8:26 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Palma de Mallorca

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:47 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

OK.. Welcome in advance.

Palma can be a lovely city to live in, depending on the area. The most desirable would be in the old city, which is of course, the most expensive. The suburbs vary greatly, from very down-market to upmarket, cookie-cutter golf-course suburbia.

Most expats choose the southwest (calvia county) which is probably the single most expensive area of the island. Heavily upmarket suburban, it is hilly and pretty in many places, home of €1200 per month per child international schools, and perhaps most importantly, HP sauce, Branston pickle, and Boddingtons are sold in supermarkets (for about double what you pay in the UK). The popularity of this area for British expats is the very reason why Mallorca is considered to be amongst the most expensive places to live.

But in the rest of the island is shockingly cheap - as long as you can live without easy access to all things British.

If your job is in Palma, you're a bit stuck to life in Palma simply out of convenience. But not necessarily... We have excellent public transport to much of the island, including those with fractional cost of living. Have a look at Inca, for example. It's cheap and a rather charming little town, lots of resources, but 1/2 hour to central Palma by train.

On the other hand, if you choose to live in Palma, forget about having a car. It will cost you a fortune to park it, and you won't likely use it. Certainly wouldn't recommend driving in Palma if you live there. Only if absolutely necessary.

What are your living requirements? Just you? Spouse? Kids?
Old Jul 16th 2015, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Hi amideislas, Thanks for your reply, it's really helpful and I appreciate the info. I am now in Palma. I really like the city and I have decided that this is where I want to live. It may not have as many of the British things you mention as other areas but I think my Spanish will improve quicker if I live here. I just hope I can find somewhere to live as I keep hearing that this is the worst possible time to look for long term rental accommodation - due to short term summer rentals. It is just me, no spouse/kids, so I'm really just looking for an apartment relatively close to the centre of Palma.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 10:04 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Palma is a lovely city to live in - especially for a single.

True, not a good time to be seeking lets. I'd recommend getting temporary accommodation until say, January/February, when landlords become a lot more desperate. Also, realise that landlords here tend to push everything on the tenant. e.g., if the boiler breaks down, you'll likely have to pay. They won't bother, even if they are legally obliged.

Try looking at the listings on the 'locals' websites not directed specifically at expats: segundamano, milanuncios, idealista ...
Old Aug 9th 2015, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Francesca88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey russ!

I am moving out to Alicudia in February/April time with work! How are you finding it? I also have no kids spouse etc! Have u met a lot of people? My main worry is not meeting people as I work from home lol
Old Aug 9th 2015, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi Francesca,
I'm really enjoying it so far, I managed to find somewhere to live quite central and Palma is a great city. As for meeting people, I have been quite busy with work and settling in so far so I haven't really had the chance. People seem really friendly here though so I'm sure I will be fine after a while. Feel free post a message on here once you move out to the island, I will have been here a bit longer then so I'm happy to give you any advice or tips I pick up in the next few months. You will find it much easier to find somewhere to live in Feb/April time compared to now anyway,
Old Aug 9th 2015, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Brill thanks russ will do!
What do you do work wise? I work from home so taking my job with me! Can't wait! Just going to save money for next few months!
Old Aug 9th 2015, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

I work for a travel company, I've only started this week but enjoying it so far. I think Mallorca is a great place to live if you work from home, there's so many different things to do that are within easy reach in your spare time, I'm sure you've made the right decision so don't worry about meeting people etc, you'll be fine ( I realise I'm saying this with all the authority of living here for about 2 weeks but still ...)
Old Aug 9th 2015, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

What are you doing travel company related?
I work from home doing business travel ! What age are you? I'm only 27 so really nervous about moving alone at this age lol