Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Martos Feb 2017, need help!

Moving to Martos Feb 2017, need help!

Old Jul 2nd 2016, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Sam1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Martos Feb 2017, need help!

Hi Everyone!

Me and my partner are moving to Martos in Febuary next year, we have a house sorted but have a few questions.

I will be bringing savings over with me, most likely in a Santander account. If I was to open a Spanish Santander account, would I be able to simply transfer money online from my UK account to my Spanish one?

I will be working in the UK every 6-8 weeks for 3 weeks, so would need a simple way to put money from my UK bank account to my Spanish one.

Me and my partner are a gay male couple, were not looking for gay night life, but is there any problems with gay men there?

Also my partner is in debates about coming back to his work every 6-8 weeks like me, is it difficult for English to find work there?

And one last thing, what is the clothes shopping like? Is it expensive?

Thanks!

Sorry for all the questions! Can't wait to get over there and start a fresh!
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 6:55 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Martos Feb 2017, need help!

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 7:04 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

The two Santander banks are totally separate so it would be advisable to ask in your local branch how easy it is to transfer money to a Spanish bank. Unfortunately we all have different experiences regarding the helpfulness of the banks in the UK and in Spain so although you may gain a lot of answers I doubt whether there will be one definitive one.

Unemployment is very high in Spain so if your partner is able to maintain his job in the UK it would probably be advisable.

Prices on clothes are quite good but I suspect it depends on whether you go for designer labels etc.

As for being gay, the people that I know have a tendency to accept people the way they are and are not into causing them any grief. However, saying that my knowledge is in a small town of people who have known each other all of their lives so that may make a difference. I cannot speak for other areas.

Rosemary
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sam1993, welcome to the forum. There is another thread where your questions will be answered on 'Anybody living in the Jaen/Martos area. Like Rosemary, my knowledge of 'problems'with gay men' is limited. But of course, I personally would take issue with anybody who bullies or discriminates against human beings on race, gender, sexual peference anyway. Olvera is a lovely town where there are gay couples living very happily. Don't know about Martos though. The thread has a wealth of information and members who appear to be extremely happy. Have a lovely time in Spain. Keep us posted as to how everything is going
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Sam1993 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Rosemary and Maur-Ross! I will use that thread, thank you so much for you help! Really do appreciate it!
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 6:10 am
Just Joined

Dawn Jones48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sam1993
Hi Everyone!

Me and my partner are moving to Martos in Febuary next year, we have a house sorted but have a few questions.

I will be bringing savings over with me, most likely in a Santander account. If I was to open a Spanish Santander account, would I be able to simply transfer money online from my UK account to my Spanish one?

I will be working in the UK every 6-8 weeks for 3 weeks, so would need a simple way to put money from my UK bank account to my Spanish one.

Me and my partner are a gay male couple, were not looking for gay night life, but is there any problems with gay men there?

Also my partner is in debates about coming back to his work every 6-8 weeks like me, is it difficult for English to find work there?

And one last thing, what is the clothes shopping like? Is it expensive?

Thanks!

Sorry for all the questions! Can't wait to get over there and start a fresh!

Good luck!!! Please let us know how you get on and if it's a good life!!!

Last edited by Rosemary; Dec 2nd 2016 at 6:56 am. Reason: Correcting quotes