British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   moving to marbella (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-marbella-788203/)

natalia84 Feb 23rd 2013 12:08 pm

Re: moving to marbella

Pocaloca
I am not russian. Nor is my name! Hopefully
I will find it good in spain. Thanks for ur comment x

chrisjolly Feb 24th 2013 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Pocaloca (Post 10563645)
Natalia, you have a Russian name, do you speak Russian? If so you might be onto a good thing ...

MARBELLA, the most popular destination for Russian tourists

Where does that information come from??

The meaning of the name Natalia is Born On Christmas Day
The origin of the name Natalia is Italian

So does that theory now apply to Italian tourists..maybe she speaks Italian!

Pocaloca Feb 24th 2013 1:15 am

Originally Posted by chrisjolly (Post 10565344)
Where does that information come from??

The meaning of the name Natalia is Born On Christmas Day
The origin of the name Natalia is Italian

So does that theory now apply to Italian tourists..maybe she speaks Italian!

Sorry for any confusion, I've got a Russian friend called Natalia and it is apparently the most common girl's name in Russia (often shortened to Natasha).

The bit about Russian tourists is real though! :D

decon.YA Feb 24th 2013 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Pocaloca (Post 10565425)
Sorry for any confusion, I've got a Russian friend called Natalia and it is apparently the most common girl's name in Russia (often shortened to Natasha).

The bit about Russian tourists is real though! :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Priceless, how is Natasha short for Natalia???:rofl:

Both have got 7 letters.

NAT, now that is shorter.

Pocaloca Feb 24th 2013 3:07 am

Originally Posted by decon.YA (Post 10565441)

Both have got 7 letters.

Jeez, have you nothing better to do? :unsure:

It is a diminutive in the same way that Juanito is a diminutive of Juan.

teuchterpete Feb 24th 2013 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Pocaloca (Post 10565605)
Jeez, have you nothing better to do? :unsure:

It is a diminutive in the same way that Juanito is a diminutive of Juan.

So you shorten a word by lengthening it. No wonder i am finding Spanish difficult to learn!!!!:confused:

mikelincs Feb 24th 2013 6:55 am

Originally Posted by decon.YA (Post 10565441)

Both have got 7 letters.

Many Russian diminutives are actually longer than the full version of the name, they are really better called 'pet names' and it nothing to do with animals.

Pablo the sailor Feb 24th 2013 10:06 am

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 10563823)
Pablo
I’m new to the forum but not to Spain. I enjoy reading views and comments here but I cannot believe that anyone could give such bad advice as to buy a bar freehold in Spain at this moment in time. When you tell us what you did from 1986, you are talking about another era. Good luck to you for what you have done but remember you started at a good time. Those days are a world away from where we now find ourselves. I, too, remember Spain in 1986. Those were the days when you could open a business and thrive. Nowadays I would advise anyone coming to Spain not to open a business unless they are prepared to lose their outlay. Sorry to be a bit negative but I’m trying to save you from making a big mistake. There are so many bars for sale and rent all along the coast. Why do you think this is?

Hi La Mancha,
there are oporopportunities in any market if you look for them, FREEHOLDS 6 & 7 years ago were virtually imossible to get hold of, why?? Well, landlords had them rented out on trespaso, plus, if you were able to get a FREEHOLD the price was through the roof!! My point is the following DO NOT try to buy a lease or a trespaso & then be dragged into paying rent on that agreement, due to the current market some FREEHOLDS have become available on the market at sensible prices for the 1st time that I can remember, this means, if you have funds, you can get your own place to own outright with NO MONTHLY RENT to pay EVER!! I dont understand how you can say anyone buying a FREEHOLD bar in Spain would loose thier money, how?? If you own the freehold?? No rent & you are able to rent it out if you decide to use it as an investment return property?? How would you loose your property if you own the deeds??I have no doubt that someone setting up a trespaso in Spain with monthly rent on top of the lease purchase is going to have a terrible struggle, BUT, if you own the property and have NO RENT, you really cant go far wrong and if its a lifestyle you are after, then its a great time now to be able to take advantage of the current market climate & get yourself a FREEHOLD property to own yourself! Think about it, lets say someone pays 30,000 for a trespaso then 950 per month rent (ive just seen one available on line at this price on the costa del sol)....If you can get a freehold within your budget you are straight away 950 euros per month better off than the guy stuck in the lease, thats 11,400 PA as an example, plus, the freehold gives you flexibility to do as you please, if you want a months holiday every year you dont have to pay that 950.......plus, if after 5 years you decide to move back home, you are able to rent your property out, I know one poor couple who are desperate to leave but cant sell the lease & cant shut as they still have to pay the rent, a no win situation, so, they continue to lower the asking price of the trespaso!! FREEHOLDS are available, not widely, but they are there & at prices that we have never seen before.......all I am saying is that if the spain lifestyle is on your list & you would like to get your own business here, you can take advantage of the market climate to get a FREEHOLD! one mans recision is another mans paradise!!;) Depends if you are a half full or half empty pint man really! regards, Pablo!

jackytoo Feb 24th 2013 9:48 pm

You don't give up do you...why not advertise on your radio shows:sneaky:

la mancha Feb 25th 2013 1:36 am

Hello Pablo
You certainly have a good sales pitch but unfortunately you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Keep it up though because they say there is one born every minute, but I think they were referring to better economic times than these. Again I say if you seriously think that to buy a freehold bar in Spain today is an opportunity then I do not give any credibility to your other comments.
And I did not say anyone buying a freehold bar in Spain would lose their money. I said ‘prepare to lose your outlay’.

Pablo the sailor Feb 25th 2013 4:54 am

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 10567608)
Hello Pablo
You certainly have a good sales pitch but unfortunately you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Keep it up though because they say there is one born every minute, but I think they were referring to better economic times than these. Again I say if you seriously think that to buy a freehold bar in Spain today is an opportunity then I do not give any credibility to your other comments.
And I did not say anyone buying a freehold bar in Spain would lose their money. I said ‘prepare to lose your outlay’.

Hmmm, going of some of the posts on here it would mean that EVERY bar restaurant in Spain will go out of business this year :eek:, simply not true! I know bar restaurants that have been run well by the same people year after year, have things changed, yes.....eg...there used to be people waiting for tables at EVERY restaurant in Marbella in the hight of the summer, now there are people waiting....but not at EVERY bar or restaurant, the success circle is smaller.........but going back to my original point, why on earth should you ¨prepare to loose your outlay¨ if you own the FREEHOLD outwrite??? Its yours, you own it, even if its empty if you decided to move on and rent it out you would only have comunidad, etc to pay, no rent!!! I agree fully with anyone who suggests a trespaso is not a good idea, but to take advatage of the market and get yourself a FREEHOLD that will return you more rented out than if you had that money in the bank.....or run it yourself RENT FREE, how on earth can that be bad business????? Even in the world we live in today there are business opportunities just a question of doing the sums!! I cant for the life of me understand all the negativity?? Ive never thought like that, would anyone get out of bed in the morning if they did??? Spain is not what it was 5 years ago, where is, but many prices reflect that in todays market............I have a little smile on my face everyday when i remember that we own a FREEHOLD & have done for 21 years, but thats a story for another thread ;).

cricketman Feb 25th 2013 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Pablo the sailor (Post 10568487)
I have a little smile on my face everyday when i remember that we own a FREEHOLD & have done for 21 years, but thats a story for another thread ;).

Maybe you should do a comparison on how much a freehold cost 21 years ago, and how much one would cost now

I think there you would find an answer to your reason why everyone is so sceptical. Even with the reductions is recent years they still will be very pricey

Plus now we are in a shrinking market, 21 years ago the market was growing fast

People still can make a profit of course, but those with an excellent knowledge of the local market, the industry and with the best connections within Spain will be the best placed to do so.

decon.YA Feb 25th 2013 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Pablo the sailor (Post 10566261)
Hi La Mancha,
there are oporopportunities in any market if you look for them, FREEHOLDS 6 & 7 years ago were virtually imossible to get hold of, why?? Well, landlords had them rented out on trespaso, plus, if you were able to get a FREEHOLD the price was through the roof!! My point is the following DO NOT try to buy a lease or a trespaso & then be dragged into paying rent on that agreement, due to the current market some FREEHOLDS have become available on the market at sensible prices for the 1st time that I can remember, this means, if you have funds, you can get your own place to own outright with NO MONTHLY RENT to pay EVER!! I dont understand how you can say anyone buying a FREEHOLD bar in Spain would loose thier money, how?? If you own the freehold?? No rent & you are able to rent it out if you decide to use it as an investment return property?? How would you loose your property if you own the deeds??I have no doubt that someone setting up a trespaso in Spain with monthly rent on top of the lease purchase is going to have a terrible struggle, BUT, if you own the property and have NO RENT, you really cant go far wrong and if its a lifestyle you are after, then its a great time now to be able to take advantage of the current market climate & get yourself a FREEHOLD property to own yourself! Think about it, lets say someone pays 30,000 for a trespaso then 950 per month rent (ive just seen one available on line at this price on the costa del sol)....If you can get a freehold within your budget you are straight away 950 euros per month better off than the guy stuck in the lease, thats 11,400 PA as an example, plus, the freehold gives you flexibility to do as you please, if you want a months holiday every year you dont have to pay that 950.......plus, if after 5 years you decide to move back home, you are able to rent your property out, I know one poor couple who are desperate to leave but cant sell the lease & cant shut as they still have to pay the rent, a no win situation, so, they continue to lower the asking price of the trespaso!! FREEHOLDS are available, not widely, but they are there & at prices that we have never seen before.......all I am saying is that if the spain lifestyle is on your list & you would like to get your own business here, you can take advantage of the market climate to get a FREEHOLD! one mans recision is another mans paradise!!;) Depends if you are a half full or half empty pint man really! regards, Pablo!

If freeholds are so great for rental income, why are people trying to off load them.

Why not hang onto them and rent them out for a steady income?

I did notice that you were willing to swap your "valuable" freehold that brings in a good yearly yield, for a boat that would only depreciate in value.

Why not keep you money spinning freehold and buy a boat with a 5 year marine mortgage paid for out of the incoming rent?

Then when the boat is paid for, you will still have your freehold and an assured income from the rent.

Surely that would make more business sense.

Pablo the sailor Feb 25th 2013 6:03 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 10568626)
Maybe you should do a comparison on how much a freehold cost 21 years ago, and how much one would cost now

I think there you would find an answer to your reason why everyone is so sceptical. Even with the reductions is recent years they still will be very pricey

Plus now we are in a shrinking market, 21 years ago the market was growing fast

People still can make a profit of course, but those with an excellent knowledge of the local market, the industry and with the best connections within Spain will be the best placed to do so.

well done Criketman, a fair and sensible post! I could not compare with 21 years ago thats difficult, but I will compare with 5 or 6 years ago, I know freeholds that are up to 50% less now than 6 years ago, its the 1st time I have ever seen a freehold business in a decent location available for a similar price as say a 3 bedroom apartment!! Its is true, local knowledge can be a big help! I met a couple last nite (Brits) who have just bought a 14 year lease RENT FREE, ie, paid the figure for the 14 years and now can run the business rent free for that time and even sell the remaining 7 years half way through if they wish....this is new to me, ive not seen that sort of deal done before.....things may be different now to years gone by, but if you are careful with the deal you do you can still enjoy a wonderful life in this great country!!:D

Pablo the sailor Feb 25th 2013 6:11 am

Originally Posted by decon.YA (Post 10568819)
If freeholds are so great for rental income, why are people trying to off load them.

Why not hang onto them and rent them out for a steady income?

I did notice that you were willing to swap your "valuable" freehold that brings in a good yearly yield, for a boat that would only depreciate in value.

Why not keep you money spinning freehold and buy a boat with a 5 year marine mortgage paid for out of the incoming rent?

Then when the boat is paid for, you will still have your freehold and an assured income from the rent.

Surely that would make more business sense.

Goodness me, do I have to go through my complete private life???? I own 3 properties in Spain plus 2 in london, 3 are rented out at the moment and a 4th will be once we move onto the boat, I wish to travel due to passing my sailing exams, so, I wish to off load one property in Spain to finance my boat purchase with a cash purchase (not mortgage)......thats it, we do have a solid business plan re our sailing adventure!!