Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Mallorca

Moving to Mallorca

Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:54 am
Just Joined

La.Carson is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Moving to Mallorca

Hi, I'm completely and totally new to these forums and I'm looking for a bit (well, a lot) of advice.
I've been researching day in and day out about moving to Mallorca, I have been going there since I was very young and love the country. I'm currently only 20 so I don't plan on moving anytime soon as I have a lot of planning to do. I'm aware that you need to speak Spanish or better, Catalan, so I have been learning Spanish to start me off these past couple of months. But I still have lots of big questions...

- What is the best business to get into? I've already read that bars and cafes etc are very risky as it is hard to tell whether they will be successful, especially due to the fact everyone is all inclusive. But what about a bookies? (Haha, unsure on this one but people love to bet...) Just wondering if anyone has better ideas?

-When moving country, how much money did you all, if you have moved away, how much did you leave your country with?

-Is it better to buy or rent a property?

-Is there anywhere in Mallorca I can get advice? I'm going this year so preferably someone English as my Spanish is basic right now.

-And can people just help in general.... you know like with do I need a VISA etc? I'm desperate to get the helll out of here and do not want to still be living where I currently live when I'm 25.

HELP.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:14 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Mallorca

OK ... Welcome in advance... A few brief answers:

Language: basic Spanish is sufficient, Catalan better. German would be an advantage for many jobs.

Bars and cafes in tourist areas are seasonal and dont pay very well. Outside tourist areas, you'd better be fluent in Spanish, if not Catalan.

Money: be prepared to fund domicile startup costs; putting down first month's rent + 2 months' deposit plus 2 months rent in agent fees, plus you should be prepared to fund a year living expenses without income.

Rents are very cheap. If you avoid the popular tourist zones, €500 per month can get you a lot of house. Buying is a very tricky business as most properties are grossly overpriced. You need to learn how to play the game.

Jobs: the yachting business is perhaps the highest paying and requires only English language (although German is helpful). If you have various Marine certs, and have experience in servicing yachts, you can be quite well employed.

Advice: professionally, not likely in English.

If you are an EU citizen, the process of becoming legally registered is fairly simple. If not an EU citizen, it's very complicated.

If you are planning to be self-employed, you will be liable for about €300 per month in social security, no matter whether you make any money or not.

Hope that helps.

Good luck...
Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by amideislas
OK ... Welcome in advance... A few brief answers:

Language: basic Spanish is sufficient, Catalan better. German would be an advantage for many jobs.

Bars and cafes in tourist areas are seasonal and dont pay very well. Outside tourist areas, you'd better be fluent in Spanish, if not Catalan.

Money: be prepared to fund domicile startup costs; putting down first month's rent + 2 months' deposit plus 2 months rent in agent fees, plus you should be prepared to fund a year living expenses without income.

Rents are very cheap. If you avoid the popular tourist zones, €500 per month can get you a lot of house. Buying is a very tricky business as most properties are grossly overpriced. You need to learn how to play the game.

Jobs: the yachting business is perhaps the highest paying and requires only English language (although German is helpful). If you have various Marine certs, and have experience in servicing yachts, you can be quite well employed.

Advice: professionally, not likely in English.

If you are an EU citizen, the process of becoming legally registered is fairly simple. If not an EU citizen, it's very complicated.

If you are planning to be self-employed, you will be liable for about €300 per month in social security, no matter whether you make any money or not.

Hope that helps.

Good luck...
Thanks, I already know basic German too as I was learning it for about 3 years but it could definitely be improved lol. Do you know any websites where I can search for jobs in yachting business? Never though of that one so thanks!
Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:31 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La.Carson
Thanks, I already know basic German too as I was learning it for about 3 years but it could definitely be improved lol. Do you know any websites where I can search for jobs in yachting business? Never though of that one so thanks!
Most of the better jobs are advertised on the German language radio website inselradio.com. Otherwise I'd suggest printing a stack of CV's and business cards and visit all the yacht service outfits along the paseo maritimo in Palma.

Hope that helps...

Ami
Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:50 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm completely and totally new to these forums and I'm looking for a bit (well, a lot) of advice.
I've been researching day in and day out about moving to Mallorca, I have been going there since I was very young and love the country. I'm currently only 20 so I don't plan on moving anytime soon as I have a lot of planning to do. I'm aware that you need to speak Spanish or better, Catalan, so I have been learning Spanish to start me off these past couple of months. But I still have lots of big questions...

- What is the best business to get into? I've already read that bars and cafes etc are very risky as it is hard to tell whether they will be successful, especially due to the fact everyone is all inclusive. But what about a bookies? (Haha, unsure on this one but people love to bet...) Just wondering if anyone has better ideas?

-When moving country, how much money did you all, if you have moved away, how much did you leave your country with?

-Is it better to buy or rent a property?

-Is there anywhere in Mallorca I can get advice? I'm going this year so preferably someone English as my Spanish is basic right now.

-And can people just help in general.... you know like with do I need a VISA etc? I'm desperate to get the helll out of here and do not want to still be living where I currently live when I'm 25.

HELP.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 31st 2014, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

There are enough Germans who can do those jobs (It's the 17th Bundesland) and they all speak English too, so basic German isn't enough. Other question would be if you've ever been there in winter? A lot of places are dead during that time and if you have a buisness the money you made in summer needs to be enough. Don't want to be negative, but there's so much to consider. Depending on what sort of buisness you want to do, you'd certainly need 30K + to start.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
There are enough Germans who can do those jobs (It's the 17th Bundesland) and they all speak English too, so basic German isn't enough. Other question would be if you've ever been there in winter? A lot of places are dead during that time and if you have a buisness the money you made in summer needs to be enough. Don't want to be negative, but there's so much to consider. Depending on what sort of buisness you want to do, you'd certainly need 30K + to start.
I haven't been there myself in Winter, however we have a lot of friends over there who would be there in Winter. The girl we know just moves to a different part of Mallorca and then back up when the season starts up again (she does have a lot of money though so she can do these things lol)
Just out of curiosity and I know bar work is very VERY risky, but would it ever make anyone enough money to tie them over when the season stops over Winter? I know this depends on how successful the bar is, but what would you reckon? PS Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 31st 2014, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

If you do not have a good job/security at the moment then go for it.

The last thing anyone wants is to be thinking in later life " What if "
Old Mar 31st 2014, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
If you do not have a good job/security at the moment then go for it.

The last thing anyone wants is to be thinking in later life " What if "
Yeah believe me I don't have an amazing job, I'm just full time looking to work my a$$ off to do this! Lol. But yes I agree, just need to be sensible about it all first before making a move.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 12:46 pm
Banned

OK well, one of the attractions is that "temporary" employment contracts are quite popular with tourist-driven businesses because the employer has fewer burdens and is not obliged to keep you employed if business won't support it or you turn out to be a slacker or a thief (a lot of that going around).

I'm not sure of the minimum time, but I believe after 6 mos. "official" work, you are entitled to go on the dole. It's not a lot, but a lot of (young) people come here (Germans especially) take summer employment, then go on the dole and work black for the winter in construction or maintenance jobs.

And WHERE you choose to live is important. Cost of living in the southwest (magaluf, Andratx, palma, etc) is easily double the cost of say, Manacor (a very non-touristy traditional Mallorquin town). Most Brits believe they MUST live in the expensive southwest, but that's only so they can be surrounded by other Brits. True, jobs tend to be around Palma, but the train from remote parts of the island is cheap and comfortable.

By the way, the only places that really "close down" in winter are tourist resorts with little or no resident population. The rest of the island carries on as usual.

Last edited by amideislas; Mar 31st 2014 at 12:53 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by amideislas
OK well, one of the attractions is that "temporary" employment contracts are quite popular with tourist-driven businesses because the employer has fewer burdens and is not obliged to keep you employed if business won't support it or you turn out to be a slacker or a thief (a lot of that going around).

I'm not sure of the minimum time, but I believe after 6 mos. "official" work, you are entitled to go on the dole. It's not a lot, but a lot of (young) people come here (Germans especially) take summer employment, then go on the dole and work black for the winter in construction or maintenance jobs.

And WHERE you choose to live is important. Cost of living in the southwest (magaluf, Andratx, palma, etc) is easily double the cost of say, Manacor (a very non-touristy traditional Mallorquin town). Most Brits believe they MUST live in the expensive southwest, but that's only so they can be surrounded by other Brits. True, jobs tend to be around Palma, but the train from remote parts of the island is cheap and comfortable.

By the way, the only places that really "close down" in winter are tourist resorts with little or no resident population. The rest of the island carries on as usual.
Hmm, don't like the dole in this country don't know if I'd want to be on it anywhere else lol.
What would you say about living in Alcudia? That is the place I am most interested in, however I know it is very tourist orientated. Also do you recommend the two jobs? One summer and one winter? Anddddd, is it better if you are going to work in the tourist based industry to go for that type of contract or not?
Sorry for all these questions! I appreciate the help.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, don't like the dole in this country don't know if I'd want to be on it anywhere else lol.
What would you say about living in Alcudia? That is the place I am most interested in, however I know it is very tourist orientated. Also do you recommend the two jobs? One summer and one winter? Anddddd, is it better if you are going to work in the tourist based industry to go for that type of contract or not?
Sorry for all these questions! I appreciate the help.
There is 54% unemployment for Spanish young people aged 18-30 in Spain

You need to think what you have, what they don't

Realistically, you will only have the chance of getting a job where your English speaking is the main point of the job

i.e. a PR or barperson for an English/international bar/restaurant (warning, involves crap pay, crap hours and lots of drink and drugs - given that you are only 20, this may appeal!)
or an English language teacher teaching Spaniards
Old Mar 31st 2014, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman
There is 54% unemployment for Spanish young people aged 18-30 in Spain

You need to think what you have, what they don't

Realistically, you will only have the chance of getting a job where your English speaking is the main point of the job

i.e. a PR or barperson for an English/international bar/restaurant (warning, involves crap pay, crap hours and lots of drink and drugs - given that you are only 20, this may appeal!)
or an English language teacher teaching Spaniards
I may be 20 but I've no interest in drugs so enough with the stereotypes. But who doesn't like to drink now and again.... I also don't plan on moving here (like I said) anytime soon, I am trying to plan for the next few years, getting myself ready to move. I'm currently learning Spanish and do not plan on moving until my Spanish is far better than basic.
But in reply to the last bit, I am starting a course in January 2015 which involves teaching English to children so I have also considered this, I just don't know if that is popular in Mallorca or if I could really live off just doing that.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah believe me I don't have an amazing job, I'm just full time looking to work my a$$ off to do this! Lol. But yes I agree, just need to be sensible about it all first before making a move.
It always depends what you want in life. Some people are just happy to live in a tiny room and live from week to week, but it can change.

By the way, the only places that really "close down" in winter are tourist resorts with little or no resident population. The rest of the island carries on as usual. True, but there are enough people looking for work.

If you don't expect to make money and our happy to work for little, go for it. Be aware that time flies and every party ends.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I may be 20 but I've no interest in drugs so enough with the stereotypes. But who doesn't like to drink now and again.... I also don't plan on moving here (like I said) anytime soon, I am trying to plan for the next few years, getting myself ready to move. I'm currently learning Spanish and do not plan on moving until my Spanish is far better than basic.
But in reply to the last bit, I am starting a course in January 2015 which involves teaching English to children so I have also considered this, I just don't know if that is popular in Mallorca or if I could really live off just doing that.
Well if that's the case so much can change. Don't worry about Mallorca now, work hard in the UK and you'll see what time brings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.