Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Javea - so many questions!

Moving to Javea - so many questions!

Old May 8th 2008, 10:31 am
Just Joined

barneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant future
Default Moving to Javea - so many questions!

Hi,

I have just been given the go ahead by my ex to move to Javea with our two girls aged 9 and 11. We will be coming out during the summer months and they will start school in September either at Lady Elizabeth or Javea International College (my preference at the moment).

Some questions:

1. Can you recommend any good removal companies? Or - what about hiring a lorry and doing it yourself? Is there anyone who has done this and can give me some details, like how long it takes, the route to take, stopover points on the way - preferably that take pets because we have two dogs!! And how much does it cost??

2. If you live in or near Javea and have children around my kids ages (or know anyone that does..?) would you be open to meeting up sometime so that my girls can meet some new friends and hopefully settle a bit quicker.

3. We have fish....how do you move fish to another country? Is it possible? I suppose if you drive you can put them all in a big bag of water?? Hmmm, I don't know what to do about the fish!

4. Internet - what are the options in this area apart from dial up??

Very excited at the moment. My parents live in Javea so I'm familiar with the area and we have a house out there and NIE numbers etc. so I'm most concerned with the cost of getting over there and the kids settling in at the moment (not in that order!).

Thank you!
Old May 8th 2008, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Javea - so many questions!

well first of all you need to get a pet passport for your dogs..you could then ask the vets about transporting the fish.

there is a guy called jimbo the scott i met from almeria who is fully licensed and insured to move peoples belongings ..he is regulary in the uk and transporting stuff backwards and forwards.. he also picks up small items and adds them to larger consignements..i will pm you his contact details if you want them..
all the larger removal companies will move you to spain..you need to get quotes for the items you will be bringing..

It seems to take approx 3 days..and most people use the santander ferry route..as the dogs can bekenneled and stretch their legs while on board.. some ferry routes are not available to you if you are taking dogs in or out of the country..

dont forget that you need to get dogs to vets within 24 hours of the move for flea and worming treatment and he will stamp your passport to say he has done that.

some one will come along with much more experience than me...but good luck and enjoy your new adventure..

carole
Old May 8th 2008, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by barneysmum
Hi,

I have just been given the go ahead by my ex to move to Javea with our two girls aged 9 and 11. We will be coming out during the summer months and they will start school in September either at Lady Elizabeth or Javea International College (my preference at the moment).

Some questions:

1. Can you recommend any good removal companies? Or - what about hiring a lorry and doing it yourself? Is there anyone who has done this and can give me some details, like how long it takes, the route to take, stopover points on the way - preferably that take pets because we have two dogs!! And how much does it cost??

2. If you live in or near Javea and have children around my kids ages (or know anyone that does..?) would you be open to meeting up sometime so that my girls can meet some new friends and hopefully settle a bit quicker.

3. We have fish....how do you move fish to another country? Is it possible? I suppose if you drive you can put them all in a big bag of water?? Hmmm, I don't know what to do about the fish!

4. Internet - what are the options in this area apart from dial up??

Very excited at the moment. My parents live in Javea so I'm familiar with the area and we have a house out there and NIE numbers etc. so I'm most concerned with the cost of getting over there and the kids settling in at the moment (not in that order!).

Thank you!
1 get a removal company, especially if you're mainland uk
2 sorry, denia & valencia and cats only
3 fish in a bag does not sound a good idea!
4 adsl no probs
Old May 8th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

There is a link to a one-way van hire company in the Free Beer thread
at the top of the main Spain forum.
There are pet transport services around, the other options are drive or fly them down.
If you have not yet found a property, if Broadband is essential for you then double and even treble check that it is available. In many area, there is a shortage of normal land lines, let alone broadband, I believe this is the case with some areas around Javea.
Good luck
Old May 9th 2008, 6:14 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Also pet transport in free beer thread.
Old May 9th 2008, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

Hi. Welcome to BE!

My wife and I have been working on moving out, and so we’ve acquired a lot of ideas and information. My contri is mainly from research, not experience.

Removals – Done to death on here and there never seems to be a firm conclusion. We looked at lorry rental and on compiling a cost summary decided we’d be paying very much the same as using a company. The long route Spanish port ferries are a horrendous price. As we have quite a lot of nice things with sentimental value rather than monetary value, we’ve decided to opt for a higher quality company, and not simply go for the cheapest price. There are many removals horror stories on here and elsewhere.

Quite a lot of the lower price quotes we got were accompanied with Ts & Cs that pretty much stated ‘we’re not responsible for anything at all’. I wouldn’t wish to infer that all the cheaper outfits are risky, but having worked for myself in the UK I suspect I wouldn’t have got the business I did if I attached ‘completely your risk’ conditions like that. What’s your UK location?

Viamichelin has a useful route planner for journeys down through France and also into Spain. They provide time estimates, toll costs, even safety camera locations. MS Autoroute may help you plan the detail of the journey.

Pets - In order to minimise the overall journey time, we have decided to take a car down through France with some basics for us, and the two cats. The long route ferries also have the disadvantage of very long voyage times. We’ll have three drivers and stop minimally. On S of France trips years ago, we used to go around 2½ hours between 20 minute breaks.

We initially thought of a van to fit more in, but speed is slower, tolls higher, and fuel more expensive. You might feel differently for dogs.

Fish – We had fish in a large aquarium. We could see no way to get that done. Moving them in bags is really only for short distances. They were daughters’ fish anyway, so they’ve been given away with all the accessories to a friend.

Hope this helps… Feel free to ask for more detail if you want. Good luck! We’ll be out there later this year.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:07 pm
Coco

scottvanda is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Did you make the move,,If so How has it gone? I also am looking at going to Javea. Like you, loads of Qs.
Thanks

Scott
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

barneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant futurebarneysmum has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by scottvanda
Hi
Did you make the move,,If so How has it gone? I also am looking at going to Javea. Like you, loads of Qs.
Thanks

Scott
Hi, yes, am here in Javea.

All is ok so far.....

Oldest daughter settled into the International school well, youngest daughter settled into Spanish school brilliantly. No problems as far as they are concerned.

It's early days for me, and I need to find work, but on the whole, I know already that I would not want to go back to England.

Feel free to email me if you have specific questions!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:52 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

All is ok so far.....

Oldest daughter settled into the International school well, youngest daughter settled into Spanish school brilliantly. No problems as far as they are concerned.

It's early days for me, and I need to find work, but on the whole, I know already that I would not want to go back to England.

what did you do with the fish?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

why not send them to Spanish state school ?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:18 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain
why not send them to Spanish state school ?
read the thread

I do the same thing all the time
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
read the thread

I do the same thing all the time
doh ...blonde moment
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:13 pm
Coco

[QUOTE=barneysmum;6856257]Hi, yes, am here in Javea.

All is ok so far.....

Thanks,,,I have Pm, you. Great that your kids are doing well. What School does your youngest go to?

Thanks again

Scott and vanda
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=scottvanda;6857597]

All is ok so far.....

Thanks,,,I have Pm, you. Great that your kids are doing well. What School does your youngest go to?

Thanks again

Scott and vanda
You will find it easier if you just click the quote button to reply, it puts the quote in a proper box. ;-)
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:22 pm
Coco

Smile Re: Moving to Javea - so many questions!

All is ok so far.....

Hi,
How are you settling in Javea? Can you tell us roughly what the school term dates are for the javea spanish schools. Our move date is getting closer, and we want to try and work it round ther term times to get out little one into school if at all possible. At moment it looks like the best time for us to come over would be beginning of April. Would be a great help if you could advise on easter break dates etc.

Many thanks

Scott & Vanda

re

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.