Reload this Page >

Moving to Jaen province

Moving to Jaen province

Old Mar 23rd 2022, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Madge67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Jaen province

Hey everyone

We (hubby, I and 3 kids) have been in Spain since 2018 (Costa del sol and Costa de la Luz) we’re very close to buying a house we have seen up in Jaen (between Noguerones and Alcaudete. We love the idea of living inland now and along with the cheap properties there, this area seems to be ideal. We have 5 year old triplets and so the area and schools are very important. Does anyone live around here or know the area well who could give me a heads up before we make our offer on the house. We’re going to have a weekend in the area soon but really want some opinions from people who know/live in the area .

TIA
Kerry

Old Mar 23rd 2022, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Jaen province

I have only visited the area but my impression is there are very few expats and English is hardly spoken, even in cities. You need to be fluent in Spanish and don't expect much help in English in any kind of official or commercial dealings. With young children, you as parents are expected to help with homework (even primary kids get a lot) so knowledge of written Spanish becomes very important. I suppose you don't need to find work in the area. Supply of English food is limited, so either a monthly trip to the coast or mail order.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

For your information there is a long, long thread, dating back to 2011, that may have information for you. Obviously details may be out of date but it might be worth trawling through to see if there are any gems.

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

I spent some time in Linares and Jaén, very beautiful part of Spain, cheap cost of living but yeah if you don’t speak any Spanish and are not accustomed to the Spanish way of life then it could be a bit tricky.

If you do speak Spanish and are familiar with those sorts of areas then yes it’s a fantastic place to live. Very peaceful and laid back.

Warning though, it gets ridiculously hot in the summer, similar weather to Sevilla.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll qualify what Tom says and that it can get to 40 degrees, but, I'm not sure how often Seville gets to that and above, but there's usually just a couple of weeks when it does. Somewhere around 2016 it was that temperature just for a couple of days, The next year it was two periods of a week or so. With climate change it's up and down.
You'd need to get used to looking out your window at olive trees.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

I’m sure it reached 47 degrees in Sevilla once. Every time I have been it’s been excruciatingly hot but it was the same when I was in Jaén and Linares.

Weather aside though, the inner land parts of Andalusia are beautiful. I would love to eventually live anywhere between Jaén, Granada, Cordoba and Sevilla one day.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless if someone lives there or not, I would probably look at my personal situation. The idea of living inland because of cheap properties might sound good now, there are probably hundreds of other things to consider with 3 kids. Nobody knows the exact property and living costs could even be higher with added travel costs etc. A property closer to coast might be more expensive, but over time it might not lose it's value as much and could be easier to sell. Weather is mentioned too and everything from heat and colder nights are things to consider. Might also be a depressing sight when nothing grows in the garden and you miss the coast.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

That’s why I say to go and live in a place like that you would really need to be accustomed to that Spanish way of life.

I have been in Linares with the gitanos, partying around a fire with someone playing a guitar and women dancing, they have next to nothing really but they are happy and that’s all they know is that way of life and me personally I loved every minute of it.

As for a family of 5 moving from expat areas on the coast to them types of places just depends on what they want out of life and if they speak Spanish and are willing to really get involved with the locals and that way of life.

It could be great fun if they wanted it to be but on the other hand if they are not that way inclined it could end up being very boring and depressing.

Last edited by Albir_Tom; Mar 23rd 2022 at 6:13 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
That’s why I say to go and live in a place like that you would really need to be accustomed to that Spanish way of life.

I have been in Linares with the gitanos, partying around a fire with someone playing a guitar and women dancing, they have next to nothing really but they are happy and that’s all they know is that way of life and me personally I loved every minute of it.

As for a family of 5 moving from expat areas on the coast to them types of places just depends on what they want out of life and if they speak Spanish and are willing to really get involved with the locals and that way of life.

It could be great fun if they wanted it to be but on the other hand if they are not that way inclined it could end up being very boring and depressing.
As you say, it's great if you are into these things and don't mind gypsies singing around a fire, not so if you wanted peace and kids can't sleep. Unfortunately some want you to accept their way of life and this is the other side of some/not all in Linares
https://www.elperiodico.com/es/socie...inares-6792813

I don't want to drift off topic, it's something to be aware of though and I've heard some horror stories from Spanish friends. They might want countryside living with a wildflower meadow and for others it's the mix between a smaller town with good nightlife and mountains surrounding you.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just to point out, there is a hundred kilometres between Linares and Noguerones. Not that some wouldn't travel, but even though Alcaudete has some social housing, incidents of that sort aren't known.
As mentioned by others, it's very different to living on or near the coast. Virtually everything is different. It's still Spain, but a different Spain to what some may be used to who only really know/have lived near to the sea. Expectations may need adjusting and with anywhere, there are positives and negatives which all depend in the person - e.g. it's very Spanish. Is that a positive or a negative? That's up to the person. Do you want peace and quiet or some vibrancy to your life. Plenty of bars and restaurants etc or happy with getting to be known and frequenting just a couple?
Clear skies and little if any light pollution at night outside the villages, got to be a good thing yes? I've known a couple who said it as too dark and they felt scared by it.
Etc etc and so on.

Last edited by Mark604; Mar 23rd 2022 at 7:54 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
As you say, it's great if you are into these things and don't mind gypsies singing around a fire, not so if you wanted peace and kids can't sleep. Unfortunately some want you to accept their way of life and this is the other side of some/not all in Linares
https://www.elperiodico.com/es/socie...inares-6792813

I don't want to drift off topic, it's something to be aware of though and I've heard some horror stories from Spanish friends. They might want countryside living with a wildflower meadow and for others it's the mix between a smaller town with good nightlife and mountains surrounding you.
Their are some dangerous gypsy clans in the Jaén province, I haven’t been to the places the OP mentions but where I have been it can be quite intimidating when you go into those barrios.

This is what I am saying, people think of Spain in a certain way but some of the places I have been, honestly it would scare some people and would be quite overwhelming. To go and live in certain places in Spain you really do need to be accustomed to things like gypsies etc because if not you would think omg where have we moved to.

If the OP knows about all these kinds of things and finds it all great and interesting like me because I feel like these places are the real Spain and I’ve had some great times visiting them good for them because once you know what it’s all about in these types of places it’s no longer intimidating and you embrace it all.

I once got taken into a large nave in Fuentes de Andalusia near Sevilla, I seen a bar and tables and chairs inside and then the guy opened a door and inside was a huge cock fighting arena with all seating around it almost like a miniature football stadium I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I don’t agree with cock fighting but to see things like this in those sorts of places is their customs and you have to embrace it.

Living in deep Andalusia you are bound to come across some larger than life characters.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I really dont think that a uk family with zero Spanish and experience with Spanish culture should move to these areas. It is all well saying that its possible etc but I have never met a British family that could do it. You really need to be very thick skin and and prepared to exist as an outsider for quite a long period of time. In the more established areas people are used to foreigners speaking bad Spanish etc as the communities usual have developed to accommodate all this. These areas establish jobs etc around the foreigners who are seen as having more disposable incomes etc. A small inland village will regard outsiders with suspicion and will be more reluctant to accept them especially if you dont speak Spanish and insist on using English. Unfortunately this is reality and it is important to consider it.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has not said what level of spanish the family speak it could be that language isn't an issue. The assumption from the thread is they don't speak Spanish?
Old Mar 24th 2022, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

They've been in Spain since 2018. I assume they do speak Spanish, as do the kids.
We'll see if they ever come back.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark604
They've been in Spain since 2018. I assume they do speak Spanish, as do the kids.
We'll see if they ever come back.
​​​​​​Agree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.