Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to Ibiza?

moving to Ibiza?

Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default moving to Ibiza?

I am thinking of moving to Ibiza for the summer with my GF...not to be in the tourist areas, just somewhere fairly chilled (we are in our 30s).
At what point is it too late to look for summer rental accommodation? I heard it gets pretty busy when all the drunk Europeans head out
Probably just looking to rent an apartment or maybe somewhere with a shared pool if prices are reasonable, or terrace,etc. maybe 500EUR per month.

Also, what is car rental like on the island? Are there any car sharing schemes?
I could bring my car over from the UK but I understand I would have to pay Spanish road taxes after a few months and register for residency after 3 months?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:18 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Ibiza?

Never been myself but OH used to live there. I can´t imagine short term accomodation being cheap. OH said not that many people used to bother with a car as it was quite normal to just flag someone down and the´d give you a lift, not too big an island to drive around, maybe better to buy/rent a scooter.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Never been myself but OH used to live there. I can´t imagine short term accomodation being cheap. OH said not that many people used to bother with a car as it was quite normal to just flag someone down and the´d give you a lift, not too big an island to drive around, maybe better to buy/rent a scooter.
A scooter would be fine apart from in tourist season, worried about too many tourists being on something and driving while me being on a scooter.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:54 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qwertyjjj
A scooter would be fine apart from in tourist season, worried about too many tourists being on something and driving while me being on a scooter.
As stated its a small island, so there are tourists everywhere at the height of the season, and you'll be lucky to get an apartment in a quieter area.
I agree that scooters may be best avoided during the busy periods.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
As stated its a small island, so there are tourists everywhere at the height of the season, and you'll be lucky to get an apartment in a quieter area.
I agree that scooters may be best avoided during the busy periods.
When would be the best time to look for an apartment and what are some of the quieter areas?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:07 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

When would be the best time to look for an apartment and what are some of the quieter areas?
I don't know Ibiza so can't help on areas - but start looking now

or take a chance & leave it as late as poss in the hope that tourist numbers are down & you can get a bargain
Old Feb 12th 2010, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I don't know Ibiza so can't help on areas - but start looking now

or take a chance & leave it as late as poss in the hope that tourist numbers are down & you can get a bargain
Do you know if rental apartments have to be booked in advance in Spain or is it like the UK where you turn up on the day and say you'll take it?
Old Feb 13th 2010, 1:10 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to Ibiza?

You could book somewhere without viewing and hope it is as good as the photo .

I would book a package holiday and check it out. If you find somewhere nice, stay on and enjoy
Old Feb 13th 2010, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by missile
Have you been to Ibiza?

You could book somewhere without viewing and hope it is as good as the photo .

I would book a package holiday and check it out. If you find somewhere nice, stay on and enjoy
Am going in abit but my other half has been before.
It's more for a 6 month rental so I'm guessing during tourist season they hike up the prices for week long holidayers?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:55 am
Just Joined

suzis minion is on a distinguished road

The best time to be looking for accomodation would be now!

Be prepared to pay at least at least 1000€ a month for a summer let, you might get 1 b/room apartment with a shared pool.

If you're planning to live away from the resorts then I would seriously consider bringing a car, as the public transport system is a bit 'vague' at the best of times.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suzis minion
The best time to be looking for accomodation would be now!

Be prepared to pay at least at least 1000€ a month for a summer let, you might get 1 b/room apartment with a shared pool.

If you're planning to live away from the resorts then I would seriously consider bringing a car, as the public transport system is a bit 'vague' at the best of times.
We've seen some places charge 2,000 EUR for July and August but after that go down to 500 - is that normal? I presume everything is negotiable and they prefer long term lets on the island but you have to bag them in March/April?
Also, are 6 month lets common or do they prefer 12 months?
So, the bus system is no good if you live...say...on the West side of the island...
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I am thinking of moving to Ibiza for the summer with my GF...not to be in the tourist areas, just somewhere fairly chilled (we are in our 30s).
At what point is it too late to look for summer rental accommodation? I heard it gets pretty busy when all the drunk Europeans head out
Probably just looking to rent an apartment or maybe somewhere with a shared pool if prices are reasonable, or terrace,etc. maybe 500EUR per month.

Also, what is car rental like on the island? Are there any car sharing schemes?
I could bring my car over from the UK but I understand I would have to pay Spanish road taxes after a few months and register for residency after 3 months?
Take a good tent etc or if finances allow buy a camper ,youll save a fortune and have just as much fun
Old Feb 26th 2010, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

suzis minion is on a distinguished road

We've seen some places charge 2,000 EUR for July and August but after that go down to 500 - is that normal? I presume everything is negotiable and they prefer long term lets on the island but you have to bag them in March/April?
Also, are 6 month lets common or do they prefer 12 months?
So, the bus system is no good if you live...say...on the West side of the island...
2000€ is not unusual and prices are normally around 300% cheaper if you take a 12 month let. Buses between St. Eulalia, La Vila, and St. Antonio run on a regular basis, but outside of these routes.............well thats anyones guess.............you really need your own transport if you intend to live outside of the 3 main resorts.

As to staying in a camper................great until the summer sun hits and you 4 wheel des res turns into a mosquito infested sweatbox.

A reasonable 12 month let with pool and parking, 2-3 b/rooms is anywhere from 650€ a month.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suzis minion
2000€ is not unusual and prices are normally around 300% cheaper if you take a 12 month let. Buses between St. Eulalia, La Vila, and St. Antonio run on a regular basis, but outside of these routes.............well thats anyones guess.............you really need your own transport if you intend to live outside of the 3 main resorts.

As to staying in a camper................great until the summer sun hits and you 4 wheel des res turns into a mosquito infested sweatbox.

A reasonable 12 month let with pool and parking, 2-3 b/rooms is anywhere from 650€ a month.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
OOI, do places do 6 month lets? I would have thought landlords would be pushing more to let out places during the summer for the much increased premium even if it's just 2 months.
Looks like even if we moved we couldn't start renting until May/June and that's right in the middle of tourist season.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 3:46 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking of somewhere else now?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=656933

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.