Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Gibraltar...with or without debts...

Moving to Gibraltar...with or without debts...

Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Warren_Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Gibraltar...with or without debts...

Hi All,

This forum had provided some excellent general info on moving to Gibraltar but the question I have is a little more specific...

I am moving to Gib in a few weeks and unfortunately I have become involved in a disagreement with my employer over training costs they say I owe, amounting to more than I can afford to pay.

My question is that if a judgement is made against me (small claims court for example) will the debt follow me out to Gib? Or even Spain if I end up over the border?

Your help would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 3:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Gibraltar...with or without debts...

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 7th 2012, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a forum online called the consumer advice group which you could join, they will be of immense help to you, they have a section specially dedicated to debts abroad. I would advise you not to worry, just have a look and you'll find yourself browsing for hours, hope this helps.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Warren_Jones is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Doris.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 10:08 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you. If your (Ex?) employer does take you to court, I would attend any summons to appear and argue the case. Having a CCJ is bad news.