Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving Dogs to Spain

Moving Dogs to Spain

Old Dec 7th 2004, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

AJayUK is on a distinguished road
Default Moving Dogs to Spain

We are moving to Spain (Valencia) end Apr/May2005 and want to take our dogs with us, can anyone give me any info on transporting them there?????
Either plane or overland...are there companies that will take them????? any help would be welcome.
TIA
Old Dec 7th 2004, 4:02 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Dogs to Spain

When I moved to Spain from London I took two cats and a border Collie. They went via British Airways and it was pretty hassle free. The dog did get very stressed and held up the flight for about 30 mins while they tried to calm her down.

One thing to remember. When dogs get stressed they overheat which can be dangerous. My dog turned up on the carousel soaking wet. They had to soak her in order to keep her cool.

I used Varipet kennels for the cats and bought an extra large crate for the dog from Airpets near LHR. I had to pay an excess luggage charge for them but no other fee and it was relatively cheap.

When I moved to the US, I had to leave my dog with my parents as she had previously had cancer which was had returned. She sadly died a month after I left.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

we moved to Southern Spain last year and bought both our dogs via car, we used the tunnel and it was very easy, had to get the paperwork through Defra and see a vet etc, but was hassle free, we drove as both dogs were aged even then, but are still with us, 16 and 17 years old now. we stopped every two hours for breaks and have no regrets doing it this way.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 9:11 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

We are moving to spain next year and taking our dog. She has addinsons disease, and cannot have any stress. We are taking the pont avon from plymouth to santander, its 18 hours, but they have kennels on board and a small walk round area, and you can see your dog whenever you want. We will put a few home comforts in her kennel and see her every hour. Theres no way she would survive a flight, and on the other ferries you have to leave dogs in the car, so we think this is the best way.

Sam
Old Dec 12th 2004, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJayUK
We are moving to Spain (Valencia) end Apr/May2005 and want to take our dogs with us, can anyone give me any info on transporting them there?????
Either plane or overland...are there companies that will take them????? any help would be welcome.
TIA
Where are you based in the UK?
Old Dec 19th 2004, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Where are you based in the UK?
We are in Hampshire, Hedge End, in between Portsmouth and Southampton, We are fixing to move near valencia in May 2005. I have contacted a company called 'AirPets' , they will arrange a pick up of the dogs and build crates for them in order to Fly them to valencia airport. However I'm still looking for other ways of getting them both there.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Tazpenfold is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in Hampshire, Hedge End, in between Portsmouth and Southampton, We are fixing to move near valencia in May 2005. I have contacted a company called 'AirPets' , they will arrange a pick up of the dogs and build crates for them in order to Fly them to valencia airport. However I'm still looking for other ways of getting them both there.

Hi there,
We are moving to Campoamor on the Costa Blanca in Feb and we have a gorgeous, soft as anything, female staffie. We have investigated quite thoroughly the different options for transporting her over (we live in bedfordshire)...if you are not fixed on time and you want your dog to travel by car then a very helpful company is Pets Euro Travel Service - www.petseurotravel.co.uk - they quoted be approx £440 door to door - however they cant do the dates we need and we cant be flexible. As a flying alternative (to be honest i prefer this as its only 2 hours for my dog as opposed to driving down for about 2-3 days....but everyone is different) we plan to use a company called Fetch Europe and they will come and collect your pet, arrange the IATA cage (which you get to keep for future use) , fly with them and then you meet them at the airport you requested they fly into. It will cost us approximately £400 for this method....their email is [email protected] - Steve Meacham.
Hope this is of some help.
Regards
Karen
PS where abouts are you moving to?
Old Dec 20th 2004, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tazpenfold
Hi there,
We are moving to Campoamor on the Costa Blanca in Feb and we have a gorgeous, soft as anything, female staffie. We have investigated quite thoroughly the different options for transporting her over (we live in bedfordshire)...if you are not fixed on time and you want your dog to travel by car then a very helpful company is Pets Euro Travel Service - www.petseurotravel.co.uk - they quoted be approx £440 door to door - however they cant do the dates we need and we cant be flexible. As a flying alternative (to be honest i prefer this as its only 2 hours for my dog as opposed to driving down for about 2-3 days....but everyone is different) we plan to use a company called Fetch Europe and they will come and collect your pet, arrange the IATA cage (which you get to keep for future use) , fly with them and then you meet them at the airport you requested they fly into. It will cost us approximately £400 for this method....their email is [email protected] - Steve Meacham.
Hope this is of some help.
Regards
Karen
PS where abouts are you moving to?

We are moving to Monserrat, which is just south west of Valencia City, Jnct 517A off the A7.
The company I have looked at for flying my dogs is a tad more expensive than the quotes you have had, however my dogs are a tad bigger too, I have a Japanese Akita and a brusing 15St St:Bernard called Gus, so overland car travel is a total no go with these two, I have to look at flying and even then it going to be awkward with Gus..
I'll give that email a go and let you know how I got on.
Thanks
Old Dec 20th 2004, 8:47 pm
Young at heart!!!!!!!!!!!

costablancaAnna is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving Dogs to Spain

We are moving to Monserrat, which is just south west of Valencia City, Jnct 517A off the A7.
The company I have looked at for flying my dogs is a tad more expensive than the quotes you have had, however my dogs are a tad bigger too, I have a Japanese Akita and a brusing 15St St:Bernard called Gus, so overland car travel is a total no go with these two, I have to look at flying and even then it going to be awkward with Gus..
I'll give that email a go and let you know how I got on.
Thanks

Hi AJayuk.
We moved to an urbanizacion very close to monserrat in sept . We brought our collie cross and cat with us ..but we came by car from Santander..it was a long drive but our two were as good as gold We would do it this way again but I think flying would be better for your two.We got a quote from www.Airpets.co.ukand they were quite expensive over £1000 for our dog and cat .
Anna
Old Dec 20th 2004, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by costablancaAnna
Hi AJayuk.
We moved to an urbanizacion very close to monserrat in sept . We brought our collie cross and cat with us ..but we came by car from Santander..it was a long drive but our two were as good as gold We would do it this way again but I think flying would be better for your two.We got a quote from www.Airpets.co.ukand they were quite expensive over £1000 for our dog and cat .
Anna
Hey Anna, thats who I got my quote from too, door to door for our dogs is £1450.00, very expensive but I cant imagine trying to bring them overland...we hope to visit Monserrat again in Jan to finalise our move.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 8:21 am
Just Joined

petmovers is an unknown quantity at this point

I run a boarding kennels in the midlands and an off shoot is that we transport pets by road any were in europe, the advantage is that the animals are always with human contact,and for the dogs we stop frequently for walks.
w.w.w.petmovers.co.uk.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 8:38 am
Just Joined

@ Petmovers... can you send me a quote for picking up my two dogs from Hedge End, Hampshire and transporting them to Monserrat,Valencia. The trip will be second week in May2005 and I will provide all pet documentation required, they will be chipped and inoculated. Pse send to.. [email protected]
TIA
Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Hey Anna, thats who I got my quote from too, door to door for our dogs is £1450.00, very expensive but I cant imagine trying to bring them overland...we hope to visit Monserrat again in Jan to finalise our move.
if you want a quote from www.petmovers. co.uk give me call,sean

Last edited by petmovers; Dec 21st 2004 at 1:19 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

@ Petmovers... can you send me a quote for picking up my two dogs from Hedge End, Hampshire and transporting them to Monserrat,Valencia. The trip will be second week in May2005 and I will provide all pet documentation required, they will be chipped and inoculated. Pse send to.. [email protected]
TIA
i hope you recieved my email. sean
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone for your help and input, we have decided to have the dogs taken overland by veh instead of flying them out, much better for the dogs with less stress and mucho easier on my Euro's...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.