Reload this Page >

moving to costa del sol

moving to costa del sol

Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

shazza21h is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile moving to costa del sol

Hi im moving to the Costa del Sol in April 08, with my Husband and 2 boys,

i lived in Majorca for 3 years 2 years ago until i returned to the uk for my sons to finish their education!!

what a mistake!! i hate it here!!

can anybody tell me what Torrox is like,

and would we be able to find work easy enuff,

would be most grateful for any advise
Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:58 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Originally Posted by shazza21h

i lived in Majorca for 3 years 2 years ago until i returned to the uk for my sons to finish their education!!

Welcome to BE.

What line of work would you be looking for and do you speak Spanish is the first question that we all always ask.

Do not know the area that you are asking about but there are people on here who will.

Good Luck

Rosemary
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: moving to costa del sol

thanks,

we do all speak limited spanish and are attending college at moment to improve that,

i am a receptionist in a Doctor's surgery but not bothered what time of work i do as long as it helps towards the bills,

my husband is a wagon and plant mechanic
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:52 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazza21h

Hi I,m off to Torrox for a couple of weeks on the 12th Sept,I will be posting whilst I,m there so keep your eyes peeled and I will let you know,there are some peeps that live in the area,we are hoping to move to the CDS also
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jandy44
Hi I,m off to Torrox for a couple of weeks on the 12th Sept,I will be posting whilst I,m there so keep your eyes peeled and I will let you know,there are some peeps that live in the area,we are hoping to move to the CDS also
kewl keep me posted
Old Aug 28th 2007, 4:54 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jandy
When you get over there are you still going to work????? Just noticed you are a lorry driver thats all - hubby passed his HGV many years ago and has drove for different companies on and off over the years - just wondered what the prospects of work are over there for English drivers.
Thanks
Old Aug 28th 2007, 5:09 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Costa Del sol

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Hi Jandy
When you get over there are you still going to work????? Just noticed you are a lorry driver that's all - hubby passed his HGV many years ago and has drove for different companies on and off over the years - just wondered what the prospects of work are over there for English drivers.
Thanks
Hi Sam yes I passed my HGV in 1987 have drove all over including France,Spain and Portugal even spent seven days on a Spanish freighter going to Tenerife with a yogurt machine,on the other end of the scale Iv also been a transport manager,unfortunatly I had a accident and injured my back nearly three years ago now so am unable to drive a truck anymore but such is life,I don,t know what the prospects for HGV work are in Spain,I think it would be easy to get work from here going over,we are planning on starting a business.I don,t even know if they have driving agencies like here.Iv also drove for various companies including a giant supermarket chain,my O/H still works for them,I did all the nights out sleeping in the truck malarky ,I have had great fun , but has you are aware very long hours..........Cheers Jean.............
Old Aug 28th 2007, 5:26 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Costa Del sol

Hi Sam yes I passed my HGV in 1987 have drove all over including France,Spain and Portugal even spent seven days on a Spanish freighter going to Tenerife with a yogurt machine,on the other end of the scale Iv also been a transport manager,unfortunatly I had a accident and injured my back nearly three years ago now so am unable to drive a truck anymore but such is life,I don,t know what the prospects for HGV work are in Spain,I think it would be easy to get work from here going over,we are planning on starting a business.I don,t even know if they have driving agencies like here.Iv also drove for various companies including a giant supermarket chain,my O/H still works for them,I did all the nights out sleeping in the truck malarky ,I have had great fun , but has you are aware very long hours..........Cheers Jean.............

Hi Jean
Yep i remember the hours - my kids used to love going with him though when they were younger - my eldest son is very clever one of the lucky ones that doesnt need to revise - learnt to read with the Trucker magasine - got all As and Bs in GCSEs - what is he a truck mechanic working for Scania - we knew from an early age that he would be working with trucks in some capacity - he loves it - he is waiting to go through his HGV at the moment and cant wait till he can drive a truck legally instead of just around the yard.
My hubby once fell off the back of a trailor and broke his wrist and elbow - drove home from the midlands he phoned me to go and pick him up - when i saw him i took him straight up to A&E he was in a right state - he just thought he'd bruised it - hope you have recovered from your accident and hope it doesnt give you too much trouble now - hubby suffered in the cold damp weather now.
Take care x
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:51 am
Happy in Torrox

Shep43 will become famous soon enoughShep43 will become famous soon enough

Hi Shazza and welcome to BE, I've been in UK and not been on here for a few weeks. Just got back to our home in Torrox after visiting friends and family in England and we couldn't wait to get back here. We have lived in Torrox for about 6 months and our children, girls aged 7 and 9, go to the local Spanish school and love it. There a number of expats here, many with children, and we have made very good friends since moving here. If you want more info just let me know. Shep
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: moving to costa del sol

so nice to hear from you,

im so glad you are happy living in Torrox,

Im so looking forward to moving their,

ive just booked the flight and hotel for my husband to come go over their and find us an apartment to rent until we get settled,

he travels on the 13th march,

what is it like to find work out there,

when we lived in majorca, we had our own buisiness, but it was so much hard work,

so when we moved over we are gunna both find work,

maybe in time we will buy a business again but for now we are gunna work for someone else,

hope to hear from you soon,

where in england did you used to live,

bet ur not home sick though are you, when we came back after 3 years living in majorca i thought i was homesick, but i soon realised i wasn't!!!

sharon
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:26 pm
Happy in Torrox

Shep43 will become famous soon enoughShep43 will become famous soon enough

Hi Shazza, home in UK was Preston and we both found work OK. I just flooded the area with my CV and got 3 offers. My wife does apartment change overs and cleaning until she sorts out her nursing qualifications in Spain and improves her Spanish. So we still work hard but it's how you spend the leisure time. If you want work you'll find it but it helps to be flexible. I came here prepared to do anything (moral and legal that is). Good luck with everything, just finishing work so better go. PM me for more info if you want. Shep
Old Sep 21st 2007, 5:47 am
Just Joined

thanks for the advise,

we are both prepared to do any type of work,

im also training in healthcare and just past my plebotomy, but it all adds to my cv,

did you rent an apartment or did you buy soon as you got there,

do you speak spanish,

we speak basic spanish and are now at college to improve that